Opinion and the media.

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Blissfullyawareofitall, May 2, 2011.

1. Blissfullyawareofitall

Blissfullyawareofitall Member

Do people like to watch news that shares their opinion, or does the news formulate their opinion?

And furthermore, what qualifies as a legitimate opinion? How do you formulate your opinions?

I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I also feel that some are just plain wrong! People get so entangled in their emotions, in their parental conditioning and their religious ideologies so much that they cannot make a logical, sound and just opinion, only a muddled mess of "US OR THEM" mentality. Black or white, not a chance of gray.

You're either pro or against, after all, long well thought out compromises don't fit on bumper stickers and rationally discussing something isn't as clear as yelling until your eyes fall out of their sockets.

I feel that it's a sad, sad media we have today... people want to be entertained, not enlightened. They don't want to know the truth, they want to know what will make them FEEL better about themselves. And both sides of the story usually doesn't give them that righteous, just, ignorant feeling of pride.

So... your opinion doesn't matter unless it can be backed up by something.
    And just because you hold an opinion doesn't make it sacred.
    Your media outlet, is it truthful, or does it just FEEL truthful?

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

my opinions are so woefully underrepresented by the media that yes, i do prefer news that is slanted that way - on the yearly occasion that it occurs

that said, i have no television so i usually miss it . . .

3. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I like liberal-biased news that causes me a healthy righteous indignation .:afro:

ZW

4. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

All news programs exhibit bias and people tend to gravitate to those which most closely mirror their own.

5. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

It was all down hill when the news had to get 'competitive'. Once the factor of entertainment and a want for ratings mixed with the NEED to inform the people honestly and truthfully, it all went to hell.

When you have to MAKE things interesting, opinionated and biased to appeal to a certain audience...part of the word 'News' just goes right out the window. Especially when they aren't honest or open about their 'agenda'. I prefer to watch MSNBC. At least they have the humility to admit that they are going for 'progressionism'. They openly admit what their doing. Fox parades 'Fair and Balanced' when it is obviously not much of either. CNN is okay but they tend to milk a single story for more than its actually worth, the Bin Laden 'hit' is an easy example.

6. mike_003

mike_003 Guest

Media is like a two edged sword. They take a person so high that people perceives him the best and the other day, they come up with something against him/her and degrades his personality. Only profit is their motive, nothing else.

7. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

My opinion on the media is not so interesting but maybe the opinion of Mr. Rockefeller:

8. A flowerchild's journey

A flowerchild's journey Member

I think it just feels truthfull because those robot people reporting only what they want us to learn seem pretty personable and relatable :)

9. Riena

Riena Guest

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm very ignorant to the news(local, national, and global), but I just can't sit through it. It's either flat out boring(some stories just aren't worth putting on the news), depressing(I'm a sensitive person with mild anxiety so intense stories will stick with me for days to weeks until I get over it), and the damn celebrity focus that get shoved down people's throats while barely paying attention to serious issues unless it involves politics(which I can't seem to ever understand. I'm so politically ignorant it's not even funny). I'm not saying that focusing on politics is bad, but it tends to be biased (and sometimes with a clique mentality) which makes it even harder for me to take politics seriously.

10. ShamanistiK

ShamanistiK Member

I tend to question the information given through the mainstream media. The same people that run the world also own the mainstream media. I think it is wise to seek other sources of media. I listen to Coast to Coast Am, Alex Jones and other "alternative" radio and media that provide me with a different perspective than what we are fed, especially through TV.

11. Blueyzz

Blueyzz Member

I think the news reporting on all different subjects is good. News is good to know. I just don't know why they have to report on the same subjects for like 3 days in a row, if not more. I mean we are bombarded with news all day long! In the morning when we wake up we hear the news that happened the night before. In the afternoon we hear that same news from the morning and the night before. At night we hear the news from the morning, afternoon and evening news. All the same things we've heard already. The news should report it once and be done with it. Move on already! Find more to talk about. Talk about good news. The media doesn't share enough of the good that happens in the world. It's all about the bad. Because controversial news sells, and hikes up the ratings. The more outrageous the news, the more people are likely to watch it. Same with juicy gossip. It's sad but that's the way the world has become. :/

12. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

media is a bunch of lies

13. Aponymous

Aponymous Member

I try and pay attention to different views and figure out for myself what makes sense.

14. Ankhesenamun

Ankhesenamun Member

Did you know... my gran one day was reading a newspaper 10years old!!! i asked her what is she doing?? its 10 years old!! she said... all the news is the same.. just the names change...lol.... yes.. sex/drugs rock'n'roll? just the names change...lol.. good on ya gran..xx

15. tehuti

tehuti Member

since the news, any news station is a private corporation with shareholders, the shareholders determine what is the news. therefore they are not bound to give you any information of value unless the shareholders deem fit. bottom line. they don't have to tell you a damn thing but what they want, and that is fitting because the news was built for the benefit of the shareholders, not the public at large...

16. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

There's practically no such thing as unbiased information, but some news programs are especially biased.

I don't have TV so I don't generally 'watch the news' instead I listen to progressive talk radio in my car to get my social and political news. I know it's biased, but I prefer a bias that doesn't offend me. I was in a waiting room once while getting my oil changed and fox news was on and glen beck came on. I don't remember what he was talking/illustrating about, I just remember it was offensive and agitating. I don't know how people watch that regularly.

Progressive talk radio always has a political focus. So I don't get the daily sensational stories from the TV news. But I talk to enough people on a daily basis that I usually end up hearing about it.

17. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

The news never formulates my opinion.
    I already have my opinions long before I watch the news.

In fact, I'm watching the news now.