Odd Little Story about a Marlin

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by scratcho, Nov 6, 2014.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

But kind of interesting.

My '67 Marlin has been down for a while and is sitting beside my house. Sooooo-the other day a man knocked on my door and when I opened it--he said "I was wondering about your car." I invited him in and began to tell him everything I knew that should be done to bring it up to snuff. Took me a while and then he said with a grin, "Look,I need to
    be honest with you--that car used to be mine. I owned it for 10 years and I've been looking for it for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS! Evidently, there's a man in Eugene that publishes (or perhaps just writes for) some kind of car magazine.

The man that had a story in this magazine had been riding his bicycle over here from Eugene to Springfield. The

strange part is that he took 3 or 4 shots of my Marlin and they were shown in his article. The man that saw the pictures and showed up at my door figured out that it used to be his. He blew one of them up and read the license plate
    number---and knew. I had no idea the man had stopped to take pictures of my car. Guess I wasn't home.

So--he called the magazine guy and said " Look, please just give me a hint as to where you were riding that day so I can look around the area for the car." The guy said -"I can do better than that. I'll go on Google maps and find
    out exactly where it is." He did. Address and all. The guy came up from Redding--special trip to find this car!.

He made his offer. I still have the car.

wilsjane, 6Sailor9 and lilFlowerChild like this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i guess the offer was a lot less than your sentimental value was

3. scratcho

His sisters contacted me and just about begged me to sell it to him. They made me a decent offer ,so---bye bye Marlin. :sunglasses: I sent them the keys, they hired a transporter to get it and they surprised him on xmas with it.

6Sailor9, Toker and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

That was a damn cool looking car, expecially for a RAMBLER!

[​IMG]

scratcho, 6Sailor9 and kinulpture like this.
  5. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Cool story! One day I was getting my haircut and this guy pulls up in a perfect Marlin, walks in to get a haircut too. We talked about it. There used to be one parked on my street in NYC when I was a kid.

scratcho and 6Sailor9 like this.
  6. Etherea

Etherea Members

I wish I knew what the fuck a Marlin was. Yeah, i know it's a fucking car (or a big fish), but the significance????

7. scratcho

Well, rambler only made 2,545 1967 AMC Marlins. They were longer, wider and on a different chassis than the 65s and 66s. (Marlins were only made for 3 years) If you are an old--(yup --old!) car guy like me, you can see the beauty in these cars. Born in 1939, I was around when all the cars on the road were 30s , 40s, 50, 60s when they were sculptured and unique. Look at the cars of today---all the same --like big jelly beans! Where are the cars of today that will be classics in years to come? THEY DON'T EXIST!! I've been lucky enough to own over a hundred vehicles along the way--some being classic cars that are worth big bucks today. And here comes one now!!:D

8. scratcho

skip and Etherea like this.
  9. scratcho

skip likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My favourite car was an original style Audi 100. I kept it for 19 years and 285,000 miles. Despite Living in London, it was still on the original clutch.
    Then Jane started driving it and that was that. LOL She also only managed 12 MPG.
    She still refuses to believe that my VW TDI managed 76 MPG when I drove out daughter to uni. Needless to say, I told her that she could do the same if she agreed to have her right foot amputated. :D

Etherea, ~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  11. Etherea

Etherea Members

oh you horrible man:smirk:

~Zen~ likes this.
  12. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Back in the mid-60s "fastback" cars were all the rage. The Mustang had a cool fastback and many other cars copied it or had their own versions.
    They looked so cool. The previous fad in the early 60s was big tail fins on cars.

Also realize Rambler doesn't exist anymore so those cars are very rare and probably hard to find part except for junked cars. So they're worth a lot due to rarity.

Ha! I just edited the title of the thread to indicate what it's about. Wanna guess how many fishermen it attracts now.... ;)

~Zen~ and scratcho like this.
  13. Etherea

Etherea Members

:tearsofjoy:

~Zen~ likes this.