NO FACEBOOK HERE!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Apr 17, 2018.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

This is to inform you that we have NO FACEBOOK links on ICMag, nor do we share your personal data with anyone or any company. We never have!

We have understood the risks of social media's collection of data and the implications for privacy since we started this site in more than 20 years ago. We have always offered our members the privacy they deserve.

We do not monetize our site by selling your data. Our advertisers do not target you individually. That is what Facebook does.

Realize that ANY SITE with a Facebook link will enable Facebook to record your activities on that site and across the web. Facebook has built "shadow profiles" of millions of people thanks to other websites allowing Facebook to access their own visitor's data as if it was their own!

So let your friends know this is a safe place where they can post on almost any subject without being tracked and targeted.

Remember as far as Facebook is concerned YOU are the product they sell!

2. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

Thank you for keeping this a safe space :D

Dude111 and skip like this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Facebook are the scum of the internet as far as I am concerned.
    I opened an account to keep in touch with a couple of work colleagues who had retired and moved from London.
    Last year they banned me for inappropriate activity and the only explanation that I could get was that my private email address was fake (we have our own domain and server), so no doubt I was of no use to them for making money. However, we are still getting spam emails that I cannot trace to any other origin.

Dude111 likes this.
  4. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

Not sure if I should Tweet this..

GeorgeJetStoned and machinist like this.
  6. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I’m ahead of the curve . I’ve actually never had a Facebook account. Im happy more people are ditching it. I hate that everything I sign up for asks me to link my Facebook account. I was beginning to feel as though I needed one.

mysticblu21, skip and Pete's Draggin' like this.
  7. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Huh I'm not the only one who never gave into social conformity. Rock on

mysticblu21, wilsjane and fem_fatale like this.
  8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No you are not....I never did anything because everyone else was doing it.

I am happy to be a free spirit....Anyone trying to put me into any boxes gets the boot....lol

wilsjane, mysticblu21, Deidre and 2 others like this.
  9. skip

I've never had an account there and only end up there if a specific search turns up a facebook page, and still I avoid it where possible.

No you don't! Many other ways to communicate, and now it's important to educate those on FB by insisting they contact you via alternative means. Such as email... or phone calls or even gosh, Hip Forums?

I never knew that Facebook was based upon an actual Harvard publication called "The Facebook", which was a hard cover book including pictures and descriptions of every freshman at the school. So all Zuckerberg, et al., "invented" was an online version of the same thing. That doesn't make him a "genius" at all, esp since he wasn't the only one involved in its creation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. Moonglow181

I did early on, but got out of there quickly. as I did not like it...and people were coming at me out of the woodwork.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  11. skip

yeah, I find that to be the scary part of certain social networks that allow anyone to contact you, and apparently anyone who pays can get a complete profile of everything you do and like and visit and think!

And the worse part is that info is out there all over the net!
    You won't be able to escape, because what's done is done and the info can be used again and again. It's esp. bad because once a psychological profile is built, it really doesn't change much. And once you've been "labeled", that label will follow you from school days to work (if you can get hired!), to personal relationships. It's hard to remove it, once it's out there!

If you can remember the "Charlie Harper Sucks" website or whatever on Two and a Half Men. One of his ex-girlfriends started a site about him, and long story short, all his exes warned women never to date him. He got labeled... now everyone has been...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    mysticblu21 likes this.
  12. skip

Oh and news flash!

It turns out Cambridge Analytica had many other surveys on Facebook collecting data on more people. So that 87 million number is b.s. it's probably in the hundreds of millions.

One was a sex survey, one was a music survey. Oh, yeah, just an innocent survey to see what ppl think...and to record it, add it to their hidden personal profiles along with psychological categorization.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  13. Moonglow181

I am not afraid on any labeling I may have acrued......as anything nasty is just rumor , anyway...and I am only assuming with that, as i don't even look to see there anymore.....and I know the truth about who I am.....and truth is never lost...:)

mysticblu21 likes this.
  14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Thanks for looking out for all of us, skip! :)

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

You don't have to use your real name on Facebook..
    3people from Hipforums are my friends on Facebook..
    Ive 100 Videos on Youtube..
    I am far from hiding inside a tree..

16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The problem is many bands only post their info on facebook. Like what time they go on, when they are in town. If you try to go their page with no account a big overlay saying you need to sign up pops up. The site really pressures you into using it. It's a pain to find the info you need and it probably stills gives me some sort of spyware just looking.

Orison likes this.
  17. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

That’s why I almost caved in and joined. Thankfully most bands also link to Instagram . There’s also an app called song kick.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Instagram
    Twitter
    Facebook

Whats the difference?..

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

No Facebook Here.......Never Will Be......Years Ago I Could See How It Was Going To Pan

Out In The Long Term......Thank You Skip For Keeping Our Interests Above A Silly

Social Trend......:relieved:

Cheers Glen.

20. I don't do Facebook but am really pissed at the fact info is sometimes only available through a company's Twitter or Facebook account.