My Sciatica Is Back...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jimbee68, Jan 14, 2018.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

It looks like there's at least 5 teaching clinics in the London area

There's one that offers treatment for 10 pounds for a 1.5 hour appointment. They also say they offer free treatments in December and January. It's in East Grinstead. www.orientalmed.ac.uk

The College of Naturopathic Medicine offers treatments for 25 initial/15 follow-up. 25 Percy Circus, London. www.naturopathy-uk.com.

There's a few other clinics, but I don't see info on their pricing.

www.ccmlondon.com
    www.citycollegeofacupuncture.com
    www.lsbu.ac.uk/case-studies/chinese-acupuncture-clinics [this is for London Southbank University]

I just researched info on these clinics for another member, so my knowledge of them doesn't go much beyond that.

I'd agree that pain killers are a last resort.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture actually treats the arthritis, not just the pain from it. So there doesn't have to be a trade-off between protecting the joint and physical activity. Generally you have to be gentler on your joints as you get older, but if you made good progress in treatment, you'd probably be encouraged to engage in daily (low impact, gentle) exercise.

I think there was a study that found that 100% of people with arthritis treated with acupuncture experienced improvements. That's not to say that 100% were completely cured, but that's still a remarkable success rate.

I'm obviously gung-ho about acupuncture, so I'd encourage you to try it out asap rather than file it away.

Hoping for good results for you, Jane and your son!

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Thank you. Although the East Grinstead clinic is in Surrey, it is only about 20 miles from Wimbledon which is right on the Surrey borders. Unlike the 1 hour journey into central London by public transport, we can drive to East Grinstead in about 30 minutes and it will be free from the huge financial overheads of being in the city. I will talk to Terence about it and he may welcome the idea of helping his condition without the surgery which his doctor also advises against.

newbie-one likes this.
  3. newbie-one

You're welcome!

wilsjane likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ok, im not like stalking you or anything.

But, c'mon, how is a liitle needle prick in the bottom of your foot or elbow going to help regrow the cartlidge in the lower vertebrae or unpinch that sciatica nerve that starts in the lower back?

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I had accupuncture a few months ago, I had 4 session but it wouldn't fix my problem as it's very physical damage but I can say, the shit works weird. I had a pin pushed into my right ankle of sorts and it shot warm sensations all the way directly into my pain areas, like flowing blood. I found that needle to be quite uncomfortable but i grit my teeth and push through.

newbie-one likes this.
  6. newbie-one

My guess is that most major, chronic problems are going to require more than 4 sessions to treat effectively. Private acupuncture can be really expensive though, which is why I recommend teaching clinics a lot.
    The needling technique, and the style of acupuncture, can make a big difference. With most skilled acupuncturists, the sensation of being needled is about the same as being pinched.

Japanese acupuncture uses thinner needles, and has a reputation for being more patient-friendly.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think because they placed a towel over me i was face down and the towel caught the needle and pushed it aside or down and it just wasn't right. But like I said, grit teeth. :grimacing:

8. newbie-one

Sometimes they want to cover you with a sheet to keep you warm, but it pushes on the needles to much. You gotta bring the noise when stuff hurts.

Irminsul likes this.
  9. newbie-one

There was a study of acupuncture in which a needle was placed on a point on a toe (I don't know which one) which according to acupuncture, is associated with vision. It was observed that when this point was needled, there was stimulation of the visual cortex in the brain.

There is no conventional medical explanation for why putting a needle in someone's toe would effect an area of the brain associated with vision. Nonetheless, the effect on the visual cortex is observable.

That acupuncture works has been strongly supported by many studies, which is the reason why it's been endorsed by the World Health Organization for treating a variety of diseases. How it works is where the controversy comes in. There aren't conventional medical explanations (aside from accusations of the placebo effect).

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Last Time I Stubbed My Toe There Was A Lot Of Visual Cortex Observable......And My Vocal Cords

Were Stimulated Too......:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, or China pressures the WHO in to endorsing it

12. newbie-one

You're full of crap. Big pharmaceutical companies can't make the money off of acupuncture needles the way they can make money off of patented drugs. If anything, the pressure in China today is on the side of conventional medicine.

Seriously, you just completely pulled the notion that China pressured the WHO into endorsing Chinese medicine out of your ass.