marijuana legalization/decriminalization

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by dreamergirl, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dreamergirl

dreamergirl Member

I'm doing a research paper on the legalization/decriminalization of marijuana and I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could give me your input on the topic. I have to give information both in support and against legalization so whatever you feel on the topic, please share!! :) thank you!

2. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

ever heard of the three D's ?? they are 3 things you NOT supposed to do school papers on.

drinking, drugs, and depression.

3. Obscured By Clouds

Obscured By Clouds Member

Why do you say this?

4. NoVictimNoCrime

NoVictimNoCrime -

do you want opinions or facts? i have a visual you could might be able to use that shows a comparison of the addictive qualities of some popular drugs. marijuana, of course, is way down there below caffeine. :)

5. dreamergirl

dreamergirl Member

I'd like opinoins mainly but more facts are always useful.

that'd be great!

6. NoVictimNoCrime

NoVictimNoCrime -

7. Spastic_Monkey

Spastic_Monkey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You know, theres a Search option for a reason...

8. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

First, Jointman is right, unless you know the teacher/faculty won't freak out over it, I'd steer clear of those topics (at least in high school). Drinking and drugs are obvious, they're both illegal for you and people are real intense about keeping kids from doing them (and with drugs, keeping everyone from doing them). Schools, remember, are government institutions. The depression thing is dangerous because faculty like to try to be all sensitive and they freak out about this, might assume you're a cutter or some lame shit like that. If you deny it, they might say "it's denial, but a cry for help" and will often alert your parents and other faculty. It's stupid how schools try to do so much more than teach, and probably because of it, do a shitty job at just teaching.

Second, here's a thread with all kinds of goodies for you: http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58540

9. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Come on everyone lets all say it together "PARANOID"...... man all my research papers..... speeches and such were all on marijuana, not once did i ever get any slack from it, once even i was givin a speech and i looked to the back of the class where the teacher was and he was lovin every minute of my speech on legalization for marijuana... you have a voice... use it, dont be scared to research such important things in todays world and expose the truths

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

PM me if you want my opinion

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Member

Hmmmm! I completely disagree with the legalization of marijuana. It should be made friggin' COMPULSORY Man !!!!!

12. Jointman69

somerset UK huh?

is that somerset united kingdom? or somerset/ university of kentucky? i have relatives in somerset kentucky :)

13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Member

That's Somerset UK like as in England y'know. Everybody here is stoned continually...nothin' else to do 'cept once a year we have the Glastonbury Festival.

Where the hell is Kentucky anyway ???;)

14. dreamergirl

dreamergirl Member

:(

Alright, well thanks for all of your concern about my paper topic, but there have been plenty of people at my school who wrote on the same topic without any problems. So I'm not worried about getting in trouble for this paper.

I just wanted your guys's opinoins.

15. Jointman69

Kentucky is near the east coast of the US, maybe one or two states over. :)

16. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

well if i was in an american school id be wary after what ive heard, but its not so much a case of getting in trouble i think, its a case of a teacher perhaps marking you down heaps, or the school keeping a closer eye on you

17. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i am a parent and a homeschooler. i first came to the hipforums however long ago it was because i was looking for information on drug use and the drug war, and in particular about marijuana and hemp, so i could have accurate information when it came time to talk to my son about these things (no, of course this is not my only source.) suffice it to say i am not satisfied with programs such as DARE, for reasons i'm sure will be obvious to most people here.

as a home educator and as a parent, i find the post quoted above to be truly alarming, especially since schools and homeschoolers alike (at least in new york state) are required by law to teach about "smoking, drug, alcohol use and abuse" (as if all that those subjects encompass were one and the same thing!:rolleyes: ) are students truly afraid to research & write about these important topics??? if the law requires these subjects be taught, then why should a student have reason to fear the consequences of researching and studying them? or are students simply expected to accept what is spoon-fed to them by programs like DARE without question? i think i know the answer to that one. this is only one reason why i homeschool. if one of my children choose to go to high school rather than continue their education at home, and felt intimidated to research on any topic, by faculty prejudice or administrated policy, you'd better believe i'd raise holy hell with the school. what the fuck are we paying school tax for if children are being discouraged from learning???

18. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

you said it sister

19. element7

element7 Random fool

Here locally there's this provision in the rules about drug testing for extra-curricular activities which isn't limited to sports, that would be plays, poetry journal, newspaper, etc.... from what I've gathered they don't always test, but I'm sure that doing a report on MJ and then trying to get in on any of these would wind up in a drug test. i.e. you're in drama, you get a part in the play, you face a choice of either quitting the play or submitting a consent form on the rules surrounding extra-curricular. Once you agree to submit to the rules surrounding extra-curricular activities by staying in the play, if you refuse the drug test, it's counted as a 'positive' result by omision. You're then referred for drug treatment and must submit to each random drug test they impose on you. Keep refusing and they ship you off to alternative school, expulsion from alternative for further refusing can lead to juvie. That's how it's layed out anyway.

20. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

Pros for leegalisation

1. Does less Harm than tobacco or alchahol
    2. Stops mob culture. During Prohabition in 20's america, gangs controlled the alchahol trade, with many deaths occuring.
    3. Tax. All cannibus bought will up the governments income through VAT.
    4. Purity. All smokables will pure.
    5. People who have an addiction (mental, as physical addiction to marijuana is impossible) will feel more able to get help as it is leagal.
    6. It is a source of income for warmer contries who could grow it in mass quantities.
    7. Although this would benefit capitalism (boo) it would boost industry, creating more jobs, and in turn more tax.

Hope this is of use to you