Mahatma Gandhi and Non-Violence

Discussion in 'Conscious Bible' started by skip, Jul 20, 2006.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Mahatma Gandhi has been an inspiration for me for decades. His great achievements include helping to unite India against the British and showing the world how non-violent civic action can change a society.

He practiced what he preached including self-sufficiency, vegetarianism, tolerance, non-violence and selfless service to others.

"Spiritual progress does demand at some stage that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants" - M.K. Gandhi

"A man without a religion is like a ship without a rudder."

"My religion enables me, obliges me to imbibe all that is good in all the great religions of the earth."

"My religion is based on truth and nonviolence. Truth is my God. Nonviolence is the means of realizing Him"

More on Gandhi later...

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

More great Gandhi quotes:

On non-violence:

"Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind."

"Nonviolence in politics is a new weapon in the process of evolution; its vast possibilities are yet unexplored."

"Nonviolence is an unchangeable creed. It has to be pursued even in face of violence raging around you."

On God:

"God is conscience. He is even the atheism of the atheist."

"God’s grace and revelation are the monopoly of no race or nation."

"I believe in absolute oneness of God and, therefore, also of humanity."

"For me the only certain means of knowing God is nonviolence, ahimsa, love."

For more quotes and info on Gandhi's life here's a good site:
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/

3. LdyNimue

LdyNimue Member

A great man, he made the total connection of God, Humanity, Earth & Love (most of all love). His teachings are an inspiration!!

4. Anima_Mercury

Anima_Mercury Member

Thank you Skip for opening this thread. Gandhi, what an extra-ordinary man... He fought without fighting :)

He once was asked: "What do you think of civilization?"

And he replied: "That would be a good idea."

♥ Love ♥

Anima_Mercury

[​IMG]

5. ChangeHappens

ChangeHappens Member

You can be non-violent and still use physical force. You have to and this fails if taken literally to make our life better. You gonna let some dude fuck your family up and behalf of non-violence.

6. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

there are a number of things that i admire about gandhi and that have become the foundation of my exsistense: peace within and without, non-violence, the sanctity of all created beings, the fellowship of all humanity. but i think, being a dedicated earth-child, the thing that i admire most about him was his reverence for all living things. paisley skye.

7. CoZMiC WiZDoM RaW VeGaN

CoZMiC WiZDoM RaW VeGaN Member

♥ ♣ :sunny: Skip... I Have Always Had A Deeply Profound Love, Gratitude, Respect & Admiration For The Spiritual Mystic & Gentle Enlightened Sage Mahatma Gandhi! ♥ He Was A Genuine Sage & A Powerful Embodiment Of The Most Exquisite *Peace* & *Wizdom* & Perfect *Loving~Kindness* ~Absolute Ahimsa~ Towards ALL Beloved Wise Divine Animals, Creatures, Beings, Nature, LIFE! ♥ Any Form Of Violence Or Cruelty Towards Any Beloved Creature, Or Towards Mother Earth ~ Nature... Gave Gandhi Extreme Pain On All Levels Of His Being! Gandhi Often Fasted Almost Unto Death To Inspire Others To Become *Peaceful* & *Kindness* & *Loving* Towards ALL LIFE! ♥ It Was A Deranged Hindu That Shot & Murdered Gandhi ... For Trying To Being *Peace* Between The Hindus ~ Muslims & The British Occupiers Of India! :( ♣ It Was Mahatma Gandhi That Eventually *Peacefully* Won India's Freedom From Being Owned & Occupied By The British Invaders! ♥ :sunny: ♣ ♥