Jamaicans, Rastas, oral sex

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by barefootnikki, Jul 13, 2004.

1. barefootnikki

barefootnikki Member

My boyfriend works with a couple guys from Jamaica. One is Rasta. Ok... here's my question....

The non-Jamaicans were joking around with the J's about oral sex because the J's don't do that. Is that something in the Rastafari religion or is it a cultural thing? Anyone here know?

Also... are people Rasta's, Rastafaris, Rastafarians... what's the term (like Christian, Buddhist, etc).

Not sorry for my ignorance, just sorry if this post is confusing or out of line.

peace
    barefootnikki

2. Stalkz

Stalkz Member

I'd guess the reason that Rastafari don't perform oral sex is for the same reason jews don't. Unlike Christianity, Rastas aren't hypocrites when it comes to following the bible. Christians totally ignore the old testament when it's inconvenient. Rastafari pays special attention to it.

And its "Rastafari". Like "I'm Rastafari". People often say rasta for short though..

3. barefootnikki

barefootnikki Member

That's what i thought!! I told my bf maybe that was the reason..... that it's in the bible (sodomy). He had a very surprised look on his face.
    Thanks for the info...
    peace
    barefootnikki

4. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Um, oral sex and sodomy are 2 different things.

I dated a jamaican guy for a long time. He said that Jamaicans just don't do that. Even Jamaicans that aren't Rastas. (he is.) A lot of the people from rural areas are 'old fashioned' that way. Uncircumcised, not adventurous. I suspect the city people aren't that way to such an extent.

Funny thing, he wouldn't do it when we dated, but later another American lady convinced him to try it. We have a convert. Maybe that's for another forum.

5. barefootnikki

barefootnikki Member

Umm, not really. People think only anal is sodomy but it's more.

1. copulation with a member of the same sex or an animal
    2. noncoital and especialy anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex.

Got that from merriam webster but couldn't get it to paste here (using mozilla and it won't work right).

Thanks for the info though and YEAH, someone made a convert :p

peace
    barefootnikki

6. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I learn something new every day.

7. GanjaPrince

GanjaPrince Banned

The yoni is Jah's creation, Jah is also the divine mother, and she is the woman, eating her for eternity is a must, until she is satisfied, let her bathe you in orgasm after orgasm, melt into her energy, and realize she is you. And the Siva Lingam is worshiped by the divine mother, if she wills it, with her mouth, her body, her hands... all over your body, kisses all over your body, who is who, what is what, we are we, melting, merging, ecstasy, bliss, sense doorway to ultimate, smoke some ganja before, meditate, praise be jah!

8. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

Heh, I never knew oral was considered sodomy until my fiance joined the airforce. He was telling me about this bunch of rules or whatever, with the various punishments that went along with all of them. They made fun, all the time, of how every one of those rules had death as a possible punishment. So one of the rules was NO SODOMY, and so fiance and his buddies would scream at each other jokingly when oral would come up in conversation, "PUNISHABLE BY DEATH!!!!" lol, of course it's not, der, but it was so funny to hear all that over the phone all the time.

oh and, while I'm not your typical Christian, we don't just ignore the old testement when it's inconvenient. We don't live by the old testement. We learn it and read it to learn about the background and beginning of our faith...but the new testement, when Jesus came and changed everything, is the part we live by. So it's not ignoring, it's just a new part of the faith that we believe and other religions don't. Now, if you'd said something about us being hypocritical and ignoring the new testement, I would agree that a lot of us do unfortunately (not all of course!). But the old testement is not SUPPOSED to be the part CHRISTians live by....even though so many quote from it to prove some awful views...that's not supposed to be our main focus cause we're supposed to be living by the new testement rules. Well, that's what I've always learned in my 22 years anyway. If I'm wrong, blame it on the women who taught me in Sunday school and the Christians around me and online that I identify with.

But anyway...I just wandered in here to learn a bit and found this thread interesting. Just had to defend myself on that little bit up there though.

9. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

I went to Jamaica a couple months ago and I asked my good friend Steppa, who lives there why oral sex was taboo, and he told me that it is because it shows a woman is a slut and she does not have any respect for herself,...not just rastas. any questions, ask me :)

10. freedbypeace

its also very degrading, if you think about it, basically what i siad btu i started to think! :)

11. Stalkz

Stalkz Member

Aside from the dictionary definition, a lot of times Sodomy will be referred to as anything other than missionary sex for the purpose of Procreation.

But that's a governmentally religious concoction. "Family values" indeed.

12. freedbypeace

neat information. :)

13. Peppy

Peppy Member

Oral is wrong because it is a misuse of sex,

although in jamaica it has always been seen bad just a cultural thing, Rasta is very much like catholisism in that sex is for procreation, no contraception no cumming in peoples faces. it is all about children, Gods gift is children. children is great!

14. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Cookie, thank you! I was about to post that! Christianity came about when Jesus came to the earth, to spread new info and new love, and to explain to the people the new way to live. This is why we live by the New Testament. The Old T. is just so we can learn about what happened before all that, like when you read a History texbook in school.
    But wow! That is very interesting information! I'm not sure how I feel about that "no conratception" thing. i mean, I can see why God would make sex pleasureable, because he wants you to have more kids and in order for you to want to do it, it has to feel good. But at the same time, what's worse: Preventing yourself from having kids or bringing kids into the world before you are ready? I know that "you should just abstain util you ARE ready", but that's not reality in this day and age. 12-year-olds are doing it, and if they are and we can't stop them, at least give em a condom!

15. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

when you say misuse of sex i wonder: are you against mastrubation as well.

16. goldmund

goldmund Member

This is ridiculous. There aren't ANY rasses that are hypocrites? I can think of hundreds. Look at the dancehall scene. Even concious dancehall has gone wayward. There is so much hypocracy in Rasta it is sick. Admit it.

The thing about hypocracy is its relation to judgement. The whole log in the eye thing, seen?

17. sugarplumplum

sugarplumplum Member

I've been dating a rastafarian man for the past 15 months. During the course of our relationship we talked about oral sex. He said it isn't done because the rastas worship Jah and putting yourself there would be like putting a woman's pussy above Jah, if he were to go there. I said it is just another way of expressing love for the woman you love. He says he would like to do this now, but he will have to cut his beautiful waist length dreads off, and shave his beard. I said, No I don't want you to do this. It isn't that important to have oral.

18. Maxwell95

Maxwell95 Member

I don't think they preform oral sex. and the correct term in most cases would be Rastaman

19. odon

odon Slightly Popular

That seems rather unlikely. :rolleyes:

20. rastagal

rastagal Guest

I just wanna comment on this post. Its a big myth when rastamen say the don't participate in oral sex! My boyfriend is also a rastaman that I've been with for 2 1/2 yrs now and he dies for oral sex. If I refuse, he makes a big deal out of the situation. And he has the long dreads past his knees and the dreaded beard also. I think its all a big front.