Is Vitamin C Overhyped For Colds?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Motion, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

What research has found on vitamin c's effectiveness on colds.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I would agree with the video to a degree. Humans are biologically similar but not identical . I am one of those people who should not consume dairy other than butter. A few summers ago I had cold. in the hot Australian summer! When I visit the big smoke in winter I take one vitamin C , one krill oil or cod liver oil and one garlic tablet. It is the difference between losing a week of my life in bed or not doing so. The other night I could not get to sleep as I had a sore throat, so I chewed on a Vitamin C tablet. and that fixed it. While Vitamin C tablets are not a panacea, they do have their uses.

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I feel like the importance of hydration is often understated. Your body is composed of lots of it... That's my theory anyway.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I remember Linus Pauling who won a Nobel Prize in Chemistry was a big advocate of vitamin C.

5. Miztarp

Miztarp Members

Vox is an online mainstream media outlet. As such it disseminates establishment narratives that are typically misleading, distorted, or lies. That's exactly the case here with the propaganda presented in this anti-vitamin C hit piece. The corrupt medical establishment and its allied mainstream media outlets have been disseminating these pieces of propaganda for decades. Propaganda works best if repeated frequently, it's a prime feature of the advertising business and politics.

But you can't discredit the facts with lies. It only reveals and discredits the liars.

Primarily it is the corrupt BUSINESS of orthodox medicine, their salespeople, shills, bogus astroturfers, and their allied mainstream media outlets who keep ridiculing Pauling as some deluded Nobel Prize winner. And it doesn't take a genius to see why: Pauling had been threatening the huge bottom line of big corporate medicine. Here is a good more current example of a hack MD who has been discrediting Pauling and supplements with disinformation and lies: read the scholarly article "2 Big Lies: No Vitamin Benefits & Supplements Are Very Dangerous" by Rolf Hefti at https://www.supplements-and-health.com/vitamin-benefits.html

Gaining a good understanding of this nonsense and politics behind the continuous anti-supplement "studies" and news is worthwhile as not to become a victim of the propaganda disseminated by the criminal anti-supplement zealots.

Orison likes this.
  6. Bilby

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

As we go on
    We remember
    All those time we
    Shared togetherrrr

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

We don't live in an ideal world....

Bilby likes this.
  9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Okay, can you show me some research that backs up your position?

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Are asking for a VOX example because that site is mainly operated by the manbuns.

Its the opposite of the Alex Jones .. Therefore take with a grain of salt..

upload_2020-1-21_7-49-14.png

11. Bilby

When it comes to supplements, as we are all biologically individual and we all lead different lifestyles, we all have to work our by trail & error and a bit of research what works for us.

Orison likes this.
  12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The only "cure" for colds and flu is a strong immune system.

Vitamin C and Zinc, combined, at higher than normal dosage can boost your immune system enough to turn what could be a bad cold or flu situation into a 1-3 day nothing burger, if anything happens at all. You have to catch it at it's first signs of "oh, I might be getting a cold"... Waiting until you are fully sick is too late.

Whatever excess C and Zinc your body can't use just gets eliminated in your urine...

Bilby and DrRainbow like this.
  13. Miztarp

Miztarp Members

Obviously you did not bother reading the article I had cited. There you will find lots of scientific research referenced supporting that position irrefutably. It's funny how so many people are to lazy or reluctant to put in some effort, despite that one leads the horse to the water. lol

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At the end of the day, it is all about common sense. The body requires vitamins and minerals in order to remain healthy, so if lifestyle is not providing them, supplements taken SENSIBLY will undoubtedly help.

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) breaks down in by cooking vegetables, particularly when salt is added, so unless you eat raw fruit, maintaining 60'mg a day by taking tablets when needed is sensible. As already mentioned, excess is expelled through urine, so regular high dosage (such as 500 to 1000'mg) has it's risks, since it affects the glucose level in the kidneys and has been associated with type 2 diabetes. However a shock dose taken for 3 days at the onset of a cold can help.

The same is true of all supplements, particularly Potassium. While it is vital to work alongside calcium (already in our bones) and sodium (most of us have an excess already) to maintain heart arrhythmia base line nerve voltage pulses. In excess, if it enters the blood, potassium can trigger cardiac arrest. Since the patient will 'flatline', no amount of defibrillation will restart the heart.

Put simply, supplements used as required can be beneficial, but taken regularly with no need are pointless. When eaten like sweets, some of them can do a lot of harm.

Bilby likes this.
  15. deleted

deleted Visitor

beets.
    oranges.
    brocoli.

16. I take a multi vitamin instead.
    If you eat healthy and stay away from work and school when sick you won’t get ill.

17. Wait,What?

18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What Can A Man Say But.......LOL...... . :D

Cheers Glen.

DrRainbow and Mustard Tiger like this.
  19. Vitamin C, like most vitamins, are better absorbed by the body from food and beverages. Vitamin pills aren't the answer. .

20. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Brandy is better - the alcohol, being an anti-septic will kill off any virus germs !!!

Sierra likes this.