Is hipster a style or is it a state of mind

Discussion in 'The Media' started by mustardfairy, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mustardfairy

mustardfairy Guest

Okay the other day some people were stating that i was a hipster. I have done some research. 99% people seem to think that its just a style is there anything more to it cause i dont wear uncomfortable clothing like the hip people seem to like. Oh and im not really skinny ether. Nor can i grow a full on lumberjack beard, But i didn't mind the complement i looked up pics of hipsters they seem to be cool or dress that way.

2. mustardfairy

mustardfairy Guest

But what i do want to know is it based on a few ideas or is it just what people do to look cool if so they need to change the name to somethin more along the lines of prep or seen. More likely seen cause they are wearing the clothes to be seen in them. And being cool is lame its uncool

3. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

style is essentially valueless

a state of mind lasts forever

subjectively

4. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

it's not about being cool

it's about being good

objectively?

5. Wanderluster

Wanderluster Guest

It's neither, it's a consumer group.

6. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Whatever kind of clothes, beard or clean shaven, skinny or bigger, it makes absolutely no difference.

7. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

I have yet to meet a hipster (i.e. anyone I've ever met that wore skinny jeans) that stood for anything other than partying and being a complete d-bag

8. motherwillow72

motherwillow72 Guest

I fully agree with you Wanderluster, all these stereotypes is just a way for the media and advertising agencies and huge corporations to group us so they know who to target for certain products. Dont go by a "label". Be who you are, and let that be your "label". Done make it easy for them, dont perpetuate it.

9. Telepath

Telepath Banned

I agree with both of you. It's sad that kids get trapped into this stuff.

10. Snootch

Snootch Member

although I think the hipster style is definitely the latest trend for young adults and media types, it seems that rather than having a set dress code like baggy jeans and new era hats, or skinny jeans and bomber jackets, long fringes or whatever this style promotes seeking out your own style. sure there's a few staples like sailor tattoos and moustaches seem to have grown in popularity, and yeah all these people like to party, get laid, and present an image of themselves that probably isnt true, but hey thats what being a young douche is all about. at least they promote (or pretend to have) a punk-ish, liberal attitude, rather than a brap brap alpha male fuck you gangsta attitude.

11. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

It was both. Now the style is a conscious decision if you wish to identify yourself with other hippies. In reality the style of it doesn't matter, its the mindset that really matters. Can't put a patent or a copyright on the hippie mindset, they've done a good job at doing it with the style though. I saw a pair of jeans with a peace symbol stitched into the thigh, and it was $80. Paying for peace, haha.

I don't dress like one, but its definitely part of me.

12. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

It all starts in the mind. It is ridiculous to think what you wear makes you anything.

13. Steve_Dave

Steve_Dave Member

R u TRYING 2 fit n,or are you just being natural ?

14. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Just be yourself. Fuck labels.

15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

It's only a style. I've seen people of all different types of outlooks and attitudes dress that way. Some were pill head ravers, some were sweet hip people, and a large group of black people (who used to wear baggy pants when that style was in) dressed that way as well. It's not a state of mind, it's just what's "in" at the moment and that's why so many people buy into it. If it had anything more to it, it would probably last a hell of a lot longer than a year or so.

I wasn't (and still am not) sure if hipster is supposed to be like a modernized version of hippies..? Either way, dress whatever way you want. If you care so much about dressing a certain way so that you're seen as a label then go for it, but it don't make you a freespirited hippie no matter what they call it. If you happen to like the style then go for it again, who cares.

16. Lumini

Lumini Member

Both, depending on the circumstance of reason.

17. stonk

stonk Member

A hipster is someone who thinks they look cool and do everything they can to follow the fashions, its what used to be called a "fashion victim".

18. A flowerchild's journey

A flowerchild's journey Member

I think in one sense people wear the brand names to fit in . i know because i once was a "prep" or a hipster" but i was sad inside i didnt know who i was and i just wanted to blend in and not be different in my school alot of kids wear VERY similar things .. so in that way "fitting in" you lose a part of yourself and so you have to be above the influence .

On the other hand there are those people that dress that way because they honestly like it but I wonder if the "in" thing at my school was wearing garbage bags or something really silly if those people would still wear those brand name fashions or if they would give in and wear those bags ..

19. Riena

Riena Guest

Hipster seems to have become the new emo these days where it's used as an insult to anyone who dares to prefer anything outside of the mainstream and it's too subjective for anyone to ever truly agree on what it truly means(for example, I could be considered a hipster by most people going the "general" definition).

I learned that the hard way back when I hung around goth forums(I left each of them because I got sick of all the constant debating over what it meant to be a " true goth" and feeling like I had to "prove" myself to them.)

Things like this just aren't worth worrying over when there are much more important things to stress over. That's the main problem with most of today's generation; they act like they never fully got out of middle/high school.

20. Bubblegum84

Bubblegum84 Guest