Is Donald Trump More Valuable to Democrats IN Office?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Dec 22, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I agree.
    And it will continue to decline with the home schooling, charter, and voucher movements.
    Right now we are in the middle of the pack.
    [​IMG]
    Our system will continue to degrade under the onslaught of the far right and anti intellectual movements in the U.S.
    If anyone is really concerned I suggest you read
    The Death and Life of the Great American School System, by Diane Ravitch, Assistant Secretary of Education under Bush and Clinton and a former pro voucher proponent:

scratcho and Okiefreak like this.
  2. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, it's nuts, and we throw way more money at education than just about anyone!

Here's the thing, though, your message essentially says if we change, things will get worse. Will it get better continuing the same way?

There's a couple things I've noticed. First is the monopoly - it's a joke to think it can perform to potential without competition. Competition is necessary to make people work for market share. Public schools are currently a monopoly which we are all forced to fund at the barrel of a gun. Second is the lack of control/discipline. Visit a few classrooms across the spectrum and it's mindboggling to see the lack of respect so many students show toward their teachers and fellow classmates. Third is why people get into teaching. In ages past, people chose teaching because that's what they wanted to do. Only in recent decades have people sought the profession for the money. That's given us a cadre of teachers who are no good at instilling a desire to learn in children but who just look forward to class being over so they can go out and spend some of that money they signed up for.

So, "home schooling, charter, and voucher..."

I'm guessing you don't know any home schooled folks since you indicate they are inferiorly educated. I know about fifty, and guess what, they're way more thoroughly educated than most public school kids. More importantly, they've been instilled with a love for learning so their whole lives they're seeking new knowledge and experiences. Not those who are content with their mindless jobs and come home to the sofa, a parade of mindless sports games and tv shows, and a cold twelve pack of Bud lights.

Charter schools take on various forms. From what little I've seen, it's just a variant of public school, same rules/regs/mindless one-size-fits-all policies and standards. I can't address those without first doing a bunch of research, which I don't feel like taking the time for.

The voucher idea has been floating around for decades now. The idea came to light once public schools could no longer discipline children to keep them in line when they got disruptive, and teaching methods regressed from a competitive approach to a dumbed-down, teach-to-the-lowest-denominator approach. Parents responded with appaul when their kid who was reading children's books and adding and subtracting single digit numbers at age three was put in front of a box with various shaped pieces and holes in kindergarten at age five! It would be second grade before the class would be reading at the level their kid was at age three! Needless to say, that's a lot of wasted time and brainpower for kids at the age they're so receptive - plus it sours them on school and on learning in general. Add the taunting of the dumber kids for being 'smart' and you've got a recipe for mediocrity at best. Violence at worst.
    So parents who could afford to sent their children to private schools. But what about the parents who are smart enough to know they're getting ripped off and their kids shortchanged, but couldn't quite muster the resources to fund private schooling? The idea of the 'voucher' is that they would be able to take that portion of the publicly collected school budget from the public school and apply it to a private school of their choice. That way their kid could get the education s/he deserves.
    Public educators hate the voucher idea because first it eliminates their control over these kids, and second, it puts them in a position of having to compete for students, meaning they'd have to work harder to earn the patronage of the students (via their parents).
    If the students are to be high-performing, then the teachers must be high-performing first.

"The best predictor of low academic performance is poverty—not bad teachers."
    Yeah. You can make the correlation. But it doesn't show causation. Think about it: the same factors leading to poverty also lead to low performance in everything, including academics. It's a mindset, from DNA to environmental factors, not the poverty itself. The poverty is just another result alongside low academic performance and everything else it fosters. But when people want to make a political argument, they make correlations like this to sidetrack people and lead them astray. It works! It's easy to fall victim.

When a person is around a bunch of non-performers, they are shamed into non-performing; likewise around high performers. We become who we surround ourselves with.

3. MeAgain

As I said read the book.
    You are spouting Diane Ravitch's arguments....before they were tried and found not to work, then she changed her mind.

As a percent of GDP, the U.S. spends less than 57 out of 195 countries, and we are being outpaced.
    I never said if we change things will get worse, we have to change in an intelligent manner.

You're worried because public schools are a monopoly? Do you worry about the military? Seems to be a pretty big monopoly to me.
    I suggest you research the public school system, it's origins and purpose, which date back to 1635.
    Competition has very limited value in education for a number of reasons. If you want I'll go into why...but I suggest you read Ravitch's book as she was one of the biggest national proponents of competition and she turned on it.

I agree we need more discipline.

I disagree with your premise that the only good teacher is a financially poor teacher. Why is it that to get people in every other profession we need to offer good wages but with teaching you think the less money the better?

Yes I have met a few home schoolers. I never said all home schooling is bad. I'm glad to hear that every one of your fifty acquaintances is way more thoroughly educated than most public school kids. But you're comparing them with all public school students which is hardly fair as all public school students don't have the economic advantages of most home schoolers, nor the dedicated parents or adults around them that appreciate a good education, nor do they have the time or knowledge needed to home school their children.
    My main concern with home schooling is the lack of social diversity offered to the children. One of the main purposes of public schools is to homogenize our culture and allow children to become knowledgeable about others in the U.S. society that aren't like them.
    Additionally home schooling allows the possibility of indoctrination of children into certain adult views and morals which may not be beneficial to society as a whole.
    Also home schooled children pass or fail based on standardized tests...not a good idea.
    As far as curriculum, I would have to see what each state requires.

Voucher schools and the explosion of private schools came about in reaction to desegregation. Private schools weren't required to desegregate. Vouchers have nothing to do with discipline, or very little anyway. It has to do with getting away from the undesirable schools (desegregated)...instead of improving those schools. It's a way of stealing money from public schools and giving it to private schools, a practice that should be unlawful. If you want to go to a private school fine, but don't steal money from the public schools.
    I suggest you look into how vouchers are awarded and the results of school achievement.
    Don't forget that public schools educate everyone, not just the best or those who have the time, money, or desire to get a voucher and attend a private school.

Now to you teacher bashing. Why do you think teacher's don't want to work hard (they're lazy), or they want control (impulse control disorder), or they need to be low payed? Why is it that every other profession needs to offer high salaries to attract the best but you think only low paid teachers are any good?

And you think poverty isn't one of them main factors in poor school performance. Other factors do indeed enter in, environmental factors would include being poor by the way. DNA? Do you mean some strains of DNA are inferior or what? No one is saying that all students are equally intelligent.
    Do a simple search.

Why do you think this is political?

McFuddy likes this.
  4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Time will tell

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

How so? There have been private and parochial schools for as long as I can remember.
    Given the fact that teacher pay is so low in comparison with other professions and trades, I find this hard to believe.
    I wonder how you've come to know about fifty home schooled kids. The ones I know are either evangelical Christians who are trying to protect their kids from secular influence (in which case, it's debatable whether they're really being given an education) or are from affluent families in which one parent has the time and educational resources to provide full-time attention. I think I'd agree with Meagain that home schooling can have the disadvantages of indoctrination, restricted social opportunities (unless parents go out of their way to make sure these are provided, and insulation from diversity. These can have major, and I think adverse, consequences for a society.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  6. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Paying for sex is against the law in most states?

7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I'll have to decline further discussion because you're responding as if I've said things I didn't. A discussion is nonproductive if we can't keep track of what's said and counter accordingly. I'd like to counter but I'm afraid it would just be a repeat misunderstanding, and it will take much time to attempt to correct those misunderstandings also.

To me you sound like you're trying to protect the status quo and would use whatever means to advance that, rather than put any effort toward learning how things could be improved. But that's just my speculation; I won't pretend to understand your motivation.

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

His motivation is the betterment of this country by educating the likes of you.

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  9. MeAgain

Well, I'm sorry that you feel that way.
    If you ever care to address my concerns with what you posted let me know.

10. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

You should maybe take a peek at the stats, then.

From my findings over the years: A starting teacher makes about the average wage of all workers young to old. By retirement, the teacher is making roughly 50% more than the average wage for the time. (Average wage changes year to year) And the retirement package is worth a bundle!

About twenty years ago, a friend of mine was making 52k teaching public school. That's damn good especially considering the investment to get there, the workload, working conditions, big benefits while working, sweet retirement package, etc. And that was 20 years ago! Dood!

I see people defending teacher pay who are making way less themselves. But it's really not all that surprising given how sparse the love of learning has become.

11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Will be happy to revisit if you do first, and be forthright. No assumptions.

12. MeAgain

I have no idea what you mean by assumptions.

13. MeAgain

Please cite where your stats come from.
    You have contended that low pay equals better teachers. Please cite the data that supports this claim.
    You claim competition in schools equals better schools. Please cite the data that supports this claim.
    I believe you claimed that home schooling is better than public schools. Please cite the data that supports this claim.
    You claim teachers aren't dedicated:
    Again, please cite the data that supports this claim.
    You claim public educators hate the voucher idea because it eliminates control over students and puts them in a position of having to compete for students, meaning they'd have to work harder. Please cite the data that supports this claim.
    You claim, or at least imply, that superior teachers will always produce superior students. Please cite the data that supports this claim.

And finally you claim there is no causation between poor students and poverty.
    Please cite data that supports that claim.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

If you're comparing teachers with "average wage of all workers young and old", you're comparing apples and oranges. First of all, there is wide variation among states and school districts in teacher pay. The red states like Oklahoma tend to be at the bottom. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the average teacher salary in Oklahoma is $42,460, which is considered the lowest in the country. Mississippi is considered the second lowest with the average salary of $43,950. The highest paying states are Alaska, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and California--as well they should be, considering the cost of living in those states. Second, comparing teachers with McDonalds burger flippers and ditch diggers is meaningless. Teachers are college educated professionals. Third, $52K is not damned good for a college educated professional. You get what you pay for. Fourth, your figures seem questionable. Where did you get your "findings over the years". The bottom line is how much we're willing to pay to give the kids a good education. Your idea that the less we pay, the better it will be is fantasy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  15. FrostyDog

FrostyDog Official Ol' Geezer

Trump is very dangerous and a symptom of the political climate in America right now, but he might be the catalyst that causes the destruction of the GOP as we have known it over the last two decades!

Okiefreak likes this.
  16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

We can only hope, wait and see--and vote!

17. FrostyDog

FrostyDog Official Ol' Geezer

It is kinda like when the Allies could've killed Hitler....and they were like "Meh".....the guys an idiot.....they deserve him"!! LMAO!!

18. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Yeah... This uptick in the economy needs to be stifled - so dangerous - let's get some leftists in there to get unemployment and prices up!

(Palm to face)

19. MeAgain

scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Memories are short... I remember well the pundits proclaiming that if Trump
    wins the election, the stock market will take a dive. And the resultant concern.

And the very next day after he won it ...

I guess one could assert that it was the result of Obama era freedom stifling regulatory policies suddenly creating the new hope for lurching forward. It's not like sillier things haven't been claimed, or even believed.

Compare unemployment figures anytime during the previous administration to today's