Im totally lost on what to do next *help* someone

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Critik, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Critik

Critik Member

Ok so i dropped out of school at the 2nd month of my 11th grade year and i was planning to do home schooling. So about 3 months later we finally got everything straight like we registered to have a home school and did all this other stuff.

And now that its all finish school is almost over and i like havent done anything i dont have any books no curriculum or what ever its called.

I dont know what to do next. I am from North carolina. Can some on e just help me give me tips. Or just tell me what i should do next.

This is the website of the Home schooling thing where i live

http://www.ncdnpe.org

I know i was suppose to stay in school untill the home school was setup but i didnt

2. Valdis

Valdis Member

I don't know that site or it's rules. I'd say you need to put in some serious study as to what kind of homeschooling you want to do.

This is about your future. Do you want to have a good education or not? How could you go about making that happen?

Get your materials and WORK hard on it. Just because the school year is over doesn't mean you can't start work now and work through summer. It sounds like you've just been goofing off.

That sinking feeling you had was right. It might have been fun at times but you also had the sword of Damocles hanging over your head. So get it in gear and make things right for you and your future. No excuses.

Or, you could be a drop out. A drop out makes so much less than someone who goes on to college. If you want to lower your expectations and future to hourly work or work at a trade, then do that. Some trades make a good bit of money but you have to WORK at them as well. Nothing is easy except failure in this world.

3. Valdis

Valdis Member

You can do a lot of research online and get a lot of good books on homeschooling at your library.

Be sure and check this one out:

The Teenage Liberation handbook.

4. nananie

nananie Member

i quote that, because i think it is a great book wich can help a lot of people that want to do homeschooling or allready doin it and are a bit stuck or something.
    Other than that, just explore your intrests and develope yourself in them :)

5. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

You dropped out of grade 11 to switch to homeschooling?

Sorta like retiring at 64 instead of 65...

I can tell you just from your post that you have made a mistake. Homeschooling is nothing like conventional schooling.

The fact that you think you should have a curriculum(that someone else makes for you) and that you are still referring to 'the school year' shows you have put no thought into this.

At your age, the only way homeschooling would do anything for you, is if you actually had some interest in it. If you had some interest in it, you wouldn't be sitting waiting for other people to set it up for you.

You have access to the net obviously, use it... it is a better resource then a book will ever be, mainly because you would need a huge assed library to hold the number of books that are available to you already.

Before you do anything though... YOU should be deciding what it is that you want to accomplish. Do you want to go to college or university? If so, what do you want to learn there, and what do you need in terms of prerequisites for it? Do you have them already, or do you need more? If you need more, go find it... look at distance education (correspondence classes), online courses, etc...

6. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

hello Critik. i was in your position too at one point. this is what i would recomend for you:

1 fuck home schooling. its too slow, and you probably wont learn anything cuz you'd rather watch tv.

2 you have to choose how your gonna get your GED or High School Diploma. there are a couple of ways:

less expensive way, but slower would be just to take GED classes at your local community college and simply pass the GED exam.

more expensive but faster: find a local "high school" program that are given by accredited companies. these are going to be companies that offer a high school diploma NOT a GED. you can also find more info about them at your local community college.

now, i recommend you go with the second choice because if you do your research you can usually find companies that are only interested in your money period. they are accredited, therefore they have the power of giving you a high school diploma but they don't really care about teaching you, and will usually give you bull shit work, or maybe no work at all, all you have to do is give them money.

when i did a program like this it was called "Miami Dade Christian Academy". and i found out about them through my community college. when i went there they basically set up my payment schedule which was 2 monthly payments of $300 and two months, and ONE WORKSHEET later i had my high school diploma and i had it even before my friends that were in my same class! i was able to use this high school diploma and register at the college i am attending now. so you can even use this to "skip" high school if you think your smart enough. school in the US is so easy....:D