I just want to be myself, and be free.

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by JustBeYou, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

There is a difference between a nice, long vacation and living off the grid long-term. I've thought about this topic a lot over the years and I guess I'm basically of the same thought as gongshamen. Many of us would love to live outside of the "system" but the system was and is being engineered to screw you over in just about every way. I love the idea as much as anyone and I think it's partially possible but the reality of the system is that you're better off trying to "own" some land and then going from there with your off-grid ideas. But even then...you will still have property taxes. If you just hit the road, you will still have major expenses but you will own nothing and possibly have no safe haven to call your own. On top of that, I have a little girl and she is more important to me than anything in this universe. Every family and/or business decision I make is made with her best interests in mind. There are lots of things I'd like to think I might try but what best for her is more important than my whims and ideas. So when I can think it over and come up with plans where what I want is also beneficial to her....then I have something palatable that I can pursue. With any luck...I will have plenty of time to think of what's best for my desires after she is grown up. Right now...what is desirable for me is to make sure she has a good life and is raised well.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

People do what they have to do and I don't judge anyone. I just put out information that I've found to have some weight and like to develop and spread ideas that might lead to people leading better lives.

Raising a child inside the system is child abuse. Sorry.. Sometimes the truth hurts. Western industrialized consumer society creates broken humans. Exposing kids to it's brainwashing, structural violence, and exploitation is evil and in the end, devolving our species.

Travel is only expensive because you're still imagining the gas/vehicle/road food paradigm. There's a fun, sustainable way around that and I guess I'll have to prove it before anyone else will even entertain the ideas.

It blows my mind that we have dog shelters but there are no lands set aside for those that wish to pursue natural, sustainable lifestyles. In a society that's supposed to be advanced, the fact that everyone has chosen to struggle doing something they hate in order to meet their most basic survival needs instead of learning how to provide for those needs directly is just sad, and lazy.

Keep dealing with this crap:
    http://thehighersidechats.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/115-John-Perkins.mp3

or build this everywhere:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj_id2DC2ZE

I don't get why the decision is so out there for most...???

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

My instinct was so right about you...you are an idiot, and full of shit up to your eyeballs. see ya :seeya:

4. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

No problem, perhaps addressing my personal email account at tg2lynch@yahoo.com type "hip forum" in the subject line just in case it ends up in my spam file. Again, would be my pleasure to offer you a high perspective of where you find yourself, as well as sound, sensible paths to take that will suit all those involved in your life. Hang tough my man, its simpler than you may think :) Peace and light , Tom

PS: We may even consider taking the time via telephone if you like, as it would be most efficient, option is there if you so choose.... and if so, simply include a contact number in your email and best time to call. Cheers

5. oscar2u

oscar2u Banned

I am stuck in a life of unending misery. Constant pain from old gunshot wound [ really bad one ] and married to wife who lost her mind. I can NOT abandon her. She can NOT take care of herself. I will take as long as I can and what ? End myself and leave her to an unkind world ? This is the sort of stuff many have to face as they grow older I try and find some happiness in bird photography.

6. tg2lynch

tg2lynch Member

A few words to all : Granted society has some serious issues and things appear to be getting more dim by the hour. However we are wise to full focus on what we wish to change in this world and be the example of that at all costs. As citizens , forget country, of our planet Earth, it is our God given right to live a free, respectable, healthy, creative life of our choosing !!! United we stand as a human race, anything less and we fall to the control of global systems we all know are flat out bull shit... clearly I don't have to say who's winning. We need do nothing more than change the way we think, lose the fears, and all ill bull shit period. With the right perspective and insight, this all becomes easier than changing a flat tire. This my friends is where true power lies, we are our own masters, its time to take the wheel. Or we can sit in all that divides us and let the monkeys continue to poison and control our reality to the point so many see as hopeless. No way, not on my watch !!! There is a key to unlocking the door to this prison planet, and no its not on the moon, its been in our hands the entire time.....Any questions, you know where to find me.

7. Gongshaman

Get involved in local government, grass roots politics. Change comes from within, dropping out solves nothing.

8. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

Beautiful post sir! :sunny:

@gongshaman, I wish I could give you a hug bud. Even though you're probably a nsa shill..... Whatever your deal is, I do wish the best for ya. Try not to resort to calling to name calling and personal attacks in the future and maybe things will go more smoothly in your life. Sorry to have challenged your unsustainable paradigm and twist your panties up a bit. I have to go though, it's time to vote in my local elections. I'm going to count the flies buzzing around the trashcan instead. It's more productive.. ;)

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I think ... o , go outside , live in your treehouse and read of seashells
    by the light of a candle . Employ rational eccentricity . All blessings will
    flow .

You might have no tree to love you ? That would be the great sadness
    yet so small .

I am free , and then I forget the glory of it . It's humble in the dirt .

1 person likes this.
  10. JustBeYou

JustBeYou Guest

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reading this and can relate to certain things. My daughter is very important to me too, thats why this decision is very difficult and is driving me to the brink of insanity.

11. JustBeYou

JustBeYou Guest

I sent you an email, thank you for your help!

12. JustBeYou

JustBeYou Guest

I wish you the best of luck with your situation. I wish I could help you, I can't imagine how you feel about this, but I hope it works out for you.

13. JustBeYou

JustBeYou Guest

Thank you for sharing everything with me, I would love to hear more about your idea for your new way of living and your views on life. The second link seems like a beautiful place to visit!

14. JustBeYou

JustBeYou Guest

Are you living a nomadic lifestyle currently? I enjoyed reading this.

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

keep going! living nomadically is awesome. i'm a liveaboard!

16. Gongshaman

I don't just mean vote, get involved! Go to city council meetings, educate yourself on local issues, during the public comment period, speak your mind! If you think your views have any validity, go out and talk to people, run for the position of Alderman on your local city council... I've personally been involved in, as a local council member, passing ordinances in the name of sustainable food, allowing livestock to be raised in town, saving an ailing water and sewer system from being taken over by the state, allocating grant money for computers in the local library and recreational equipment for kids in the park. Change takes work and involvement, not dropping out and eating out of dumpsters. Who knows, you could even prevent or change anti-vagrancy laws to keep your homeless brethren from being hassled by the cops. ;)

Gotta go, a shills work is never done! :cool:

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i just really don't care about living in a house , and then should i happen
    to be doing that i would rather not sleep in a bed . this has been going on
    for thirty years . yes , i like to travel . one camp i go to most every year
    is at the edge of an artsy town , on a hill , in the cedars , and a spring
    head is close by . it's fine . it's how to live human .

18. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Couldn't agree more!

19. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I did it, left my hubby and lived in a motor home. I can see where leaving your daughter would be harder to do tho, how old is she and can you plan for when she is grown and leaving home. Trick is you can plan it and save up to buy a nice machine to live in by then and do your thing.
    Life is not over till it's over. Enjoy planning it and bets are you'll do fine.

20. Gongshaman

Yep, take it from 'ol Tikoo, having a roof over your head and a bed to sleep in is just the pits.:rolleyes:

Get fucking real, people. Tikoo is a hobo that admittedly lives on other peoples scraps.