How To Argue For Gun Control.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maccabee, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mac

Oh My God – LOL – do you think I’m falling for that trick again?

This is just another way you evade - you’ve done it over and over again – it is a big part of your dishonesty

I’ve repeated the same criticism numerous times because you’ve asked me to and all that happens is that you refuse to address them and go on evading.

As I’ve said before I stand by the post already posted and would only wish again that one day you will stop your dishonesty.

2. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Fine. If you're not going to give a subject then I'll will.

Here is my stance:

1. The second amendment protects the individual right to keep and bear arms.

2. Gun control measures such as registration, "assault" weapons bans, gun free zones, etc have never been proven to reduce violent crime, murder, or even gun deaths and in some cases actually increased said crimes.

3. I support things such as national reciprocity, taking suppressors off of the NFA list, repealing the NFA altogether, and teachers to have the choice of being armed.

Now, what would you like to talk about first?

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

We are tired of your denials. You've already been proven wrong!

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Gun owners can not be reasoned with. Fear is a powerful emotion. Their need to kill is always more important than other's right to live.

soulcompromise likes this.
  5. Maccabee

Really? Give an example.

6. Maccabee

Evidence for any of this?

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mac

Already covered – people have posted the criticism of that if you don’t know what it is by now you never will – so can you address the criticisms?

Already covered – people have posted the criticism of that if you don’t know what it is by now you never will – so can you address the criticisms?

WE HAVE ALREADY ‘TALKED’ ABOUT THESE THINGS – PLEASE ADDRESS THE OUTSTANDING CRITICISMS

PS: Oh and don't come back with 'where are the criticisms' that is just another of you evasion con games as I've said if you don’t know what they are by now you never will

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    McFuddy and soulcompromise like this.
  8. Maccabee

The answer to all three is yes. I can address the critizisms. Just give me a specific one. Again, we've covered many things and this thread is 75 pages long. I've replied to as many revelant posts as possible. I've back and forth with Meagain for the last few pages and I don't think I've skipped anything. If you think I've have then please list them. 1 or two is sufficient if ypu feel the things I've skipped is too long of a list.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You still haven't addressed the right of the government to issue laws concerning guns.
    You haven't adequately addressed Heller v D.C.,the ruling that made gun ownership an individual right in 2008.

And you haven't addressed the meaning of legal as expressed in this statement by you:

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

This conversation and the evasion tactics being used reminds me of discussions with Independent. Maybe he got fired and Mac is the replacement shill?

11. Maccabee

Ok. What specifically didn't I addressed?
    I think I did but if you feel that way tgen please explain.

Legal in the since that at one time slavery was legal because the courts ruled it to be so however it ultimately violated the constitution.

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mac

I already said - Oh and don't come back with 'where are the criticisms' that is just another of you evasion con games as I've said if you don’t know what they are by now you never will

Followed by that other evasion technique 'i have addressed that' - although when asked to produce any evidence you never can.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  13. MeAgain

Do you agree that the government at various levels in the U.S. can issue laws pertaining to guns?

Do you agree that there is no a priori right to own a gun in the U.S. as there are numerous restrictions as to what types of guns may be owned and what types of people are not allowed to own them?

Do you agree that it wasn't until 2008 that the right of an individual to possess firearms without being connected to service in a state militia was established. (...the Court held that the [2nd] Amendment guarantees an individual right to possess a firearm...)?

Next, you seem to making the case that if something is not explicitly mentioned in the original Constitution, it's not legal.
    This stance of yours has several problems in my opinion.
    First you then bring up slavery and try to convince us that slavery was illegal according to the Constitution, therefore the slave holders were committing illegal acts. Meaning anything defined as legal, but not in the Constitution, is really illegal.
    But slavery is mentioned in the Constitution in the Enumeration Clause where slaves are recognized (and therefore legal) as "other persons", In Article 1, Section 9 where Congress is forbidden from prohibiting the "Importation" of slaves before 1808, and in The Fugitive Slave Clause where slaves are to be repatriated to the states they have escaped from.
    So, clearly before the 13th Amendment slavery was legal and did not violate the Constitution.
    Your example of slavery doesn't hold water, slavery did not violate the Constitution and was legal until the 13th amendment.
    Therefore gun ownership can be legally banned by an Amendment to the Constitution (or an interpretation of the Constitution). And the banning would be legal.

Further as to your claim that if it's not in the Constitution, it's not legal, if that is your argument, is extremely simplistic. This can be shown by examples too numerous to list such as vehicle safety laws, cyber crime laws, the formation of the Air Force, marriage laws, the number of Justices in the Supreme Court, the right to free travel (except for Congressmen), (tape) recording laws, etc.

So, I ask again, what is your definition of legal?
    Must something be explicitly mentioned in the Constitution to be legal, or may laws be enacted by legally elected officials and held to be legal unless challenged in court and then overturned by the Supreme Court or other arms of the justice system?
    And if it must be in the Constitution would that be the original constitution or would it include the Amendments? This is an important point as the 18th Amendment itself was repealed.

14. Maccabee

I'm not asking where are the critizisms. It's kinda obvious there are critizisms in this thread otherwise we wouldn't have 75 pages. What I'm asking is where are the critizisms on this topic that I failed to address? Please name one. Otherwise this basically amounts to "did not" "did too."

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

16. Maccabee

Absolutely. However it must be within the confines of the second amendment. If they want to make harsher punishments for prohibited persons possessing guns then they have every right to do so.

No on a historical and logical level. On a historical level the right to keep and bear arms existed prior to the second amendment. On a logical level, just because the government can take a right away doesn't mean it's not a right. It'll be like saying that since a criminal can steal your belongings, you never had the right to own said belongings.

No.

Nowhere in section 9 does it state that congress was forbidden to prohibit the importation of slaves. It just says importation.

Actually it did though not directly as in the declaration of independence states that all men are created equal.

Even if we were to take your argument at face value, it will still mean that in order to ban guns, we'll need to add anlther amendment repealling the second amendment as it says "shall not be infringed."

I don't think I said that if it isn't in the constitution then it's illegal. I said the courts found slavery legal even though it wasn't. There was solid constitutional basus for the abolishment of slavery and were brought up in cases like Dredd Scott however due to the politcal atmosphere of the time was struck down. In fact, shortly after the war of independence there was a slave that successfully won her freedom through court. As for the second amendment, it says "shall not be infringed." there's nkt much wiggle room in that phrase.

To reinterate and clarify, the term "legal" refers to what is allowed by the constitution. Either by direct wording or strong inference.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mac

Look to explain again – this is why you are a dishonest debater and liar and also the reason why this thread is so long

Criticisms of you views are presented

Your evade or ignore

Criticisms are repeated

Your evade or ignore

You are asked why you refuse to address criticisms

You ask which criticisms

The criticisms are repeated

Your evade or ignore

Criticisms are repeated

Your evade or ignore

You say you have addressed them (but can produce no evidence)

You are asked which criticisms you supposedly addressed

You ask for the criticisms to be repeated

The criticisms are repeated

Your evade or ignore

You ask which criticisms…

And so on and so on the history of this thread

Thing is YOU KNOW what criticisms are outstanding (someone would have to be a complete idiot to not know by now, after all the repetition) but I think you are unable to address them so the only choice you have is to evade or ignore in the hope people will not notice – it’s lying and very dishonest but …

Oh I’m happy to let the thread stand as a testament to your continued dishonestly

18. MeAgain

Okay, let's take these one by one.
    You agree that various arms of the government can make laws concerning firearms.
    You claim those laws must conform to the 2nd amendment, but you neglect to point out that the 2nd has been interpreted differently at different times, and you neglected the question I asked as to whether the laws are legal until they are found to violate the 2nd by the judicial system on appeal.

You believe there is an a priori right to own guns in the U.S. on a historic level, but you neglect the fact that in Colonial America guns were not exclusively owned by individuals, they could be confiscated at any time by the government, guns were not the sole property of individuals.
    You ignore the fact that the original Constitution made no mention of guns at all.
    And you ignore the fact that slaves were prohibited from carrying any weapon, or highly regulated.
    So as everyone could not own a gun there is no a priori right to own a gun in either Colonial America or after the Constitution was adopted. (Not to mention age restrictions, etc.)

You don't agree with the Heller v D.C ruling that individuals may own guns irrespective of militia service.

Article I Section 9
    Section 9 - The Meaning
    The Declaration of Independence is not a legal document like the Constitution is, it's just a declaration of separation from England. In addition as per the Constitution all men were not considered equal as slaves were only 3/5's human.

We don't need to repeal the 2nd to ban guns, which no one around here is advocating anyway, all we need
    is a reinterpretation.

The courts didn't find slavery legal, the Constitution did. The courts, in certain cases upheld the Constitutional right to have slaves.

Lastly, am I to assume you don't believe that any law is legal until it has been ruled on by the Supreme Court?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  19. Maccabee

So let me get this straight, you're willing to waste several posts so far accusing me of ignoring and evading without evidence yet you're not willing to post a three sentence paragraph showing specifically what have I ignored or evaded? I think you need to have your priorities straightened. Get back to me when you have a specific example you can point out.

20. Maccabee

For the first part, each ruling still obtained that people have the individual right to keep and bear arms. For the second part, a law that violates the constitution is illegal since its inception.

The author of "Arming America" first off failed to provide evidence and also found to grossly lack in sources altogether.

The Volokh Conspiracy - -

Conglomerate Blog: Business, Law, Economics & Society

What do you mean? What original constitution? Are you talking about before the bill of rights were added? If so then so is the freedom of speech and the other amendments. In fact the main reason we have the bill of rights is because they wanted to clarify what the constitution allows or don't allow.

Yeah, in the Louisiana area where it wasnt even apart of the American colonies until after the Louisiana purchase. Even then, no gun control measure was made until after the ratification of the constitution and the bill of rights. Even then, it was a local law that was yet to brought up in court.

This is false as explained.

I do agree. In fact that's my entire premise.

I'll concede that the constitution did not directly ban slavery. However it didn't condone it either.

I'm not sure how you can ban guns and still be within "shall not be infringed" without committing mental gymnastics on par with being superhuman.

No. In fact I'm arguing the opposite. Just because the Supreme court legalized it, doesn't mean that it is constitutional.