how long will america last

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Mynameisluke, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Agreed. The concept is not exclusively american. Nor is it the country itself.

2. I was just being optimistic.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a name can keep going for a long time without continuing to have anything to do with what it was furst applied to. in that sense it could go on for a while.
    in that sense, it may have fallen a long time ago, or even before it 'rose'. the america i was born in, died in 1980.
    the america of conservative fantasy lasted from the end of world war two, until the election of eisenhour. or at any rate, no longer then it took for maccarthism to get started.

has america ever been anything other then a zombie of what it claims to aspire to? for that matter, has any nation?

will a day come that makes the very concept of superpower nations obsolete? absolutely such a day is very likely, and within a lot less then another hundred years.
    but i couldn't name a date. just role some dice or throw a dart at something. (no, not someone's fat ass, though i am sure there are plenty of tempting ones)

i think there very much will come a time, when for a long time, even the concept of nations isn't going to mean much. a world much like that in ursula le guinne's always coming home, following the famines and mega-poly-demics, that are the real problem to come from what we've done and are continuing to do to the environment.

whether or not america as a country falls first, the whole idea of nations as we know them is pretty much fated to, by what we've been doing, pretty much since the invention of practical ways to harness steam.

and i'm not saying the existence of complex technologies are themselves the problem. what i mean, is that an economics which disregards environment as irrelevant, is itself irrelevant and doing it wrong.

we are a land of backward headed people, and backward headed people run into things they're not looking at.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

too bad this has nothing to do with the america i've lived in for the past 66, almost 67 years now. the america i know and live in, has fought and continues to fight, for the continuation of hierarchy. it just uses different names and a superficially different way of doing so.

5. OddApple

OddApple Member

Men and women cannot rule their selves very long at all. The first generation that really doesn't have to earn it starts betraying it and dragging it to hell like trash did here. You get all these people with all these "important beliefs!" To fight over and then you rope the dopes after they have so insisted to do it to their own selves. We have known for a very very long time that people can last a couple centuries at most until they start voting in welfare and big salaries - using the power to rape and pillage their own stuff. Apes stupid.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well it isn't just america. the trans pacific pissoff, is the legal instrument by which corporate feudalism will have completely eliminated government by consent of the governed, essentially everywhere on the planet.

its the tea nazi's brainwashing people into equating freedom with ideology, when in reality every ideology, with not exceptions, is the exact opposite of real freedom of any kind.
    and its the same, whatever ideology you want to call it.

every ideology is exactly this one same thing: an excuse, to not base policy, on the conditions it creates. and it gets people to go along with the bullshit of doing so.

and organized familar name brands of belief, like christianity, islam and so on, arn't usually much better. (however well intended they may have ALL started out to be) they're really just used as packaging to further hide the deception of what ideology really is, behind it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aggressiveness, the dominance of aggressiveness, is tyranny. whatever the lie. whatever the excuse.

america is just a place. a place with a culture that promotes and encourages aggressiveness. but its still just a place.

and a place that will be much better off, when that culture changes, to where it stops doing so.

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

America can last much longer, but the current system where dollars can buy products from China for dirt cheap won't.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no nation, as we know them today, will outlast the ecopocalypse.
    the very concept of nation might not.

america just isn't that unique.
    right now it is very powerful,
    but that is all it is,
    and very soon, that kind of power,
    will be of very little use,
    or even meaning.

a whimper is more likely then a bang,
    but however it goes out,
    no nation is immortal.

9. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

So, would you say 11 years?

10. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Well, those real people will have to pass a spelling test before they take over the levers of power. They'll also need to have a subtle sense of irony/

11. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

So why inject that French word 'Eveil' (arousal wakefulness. I can't parse that.

Second point, how could you expect anyone to trust you, an absolute stranger with no know ID, address, name, curriculum vitae. You disqualify yourself from rational debate by requesting an irrational consideration.

12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

To jpjonleavy: Maybe 2.

Crypto currencies are going crazy right now lead by new adopters in Asia. People could just start using those instead of fiat dollars.

13. SaltyDawg

SaltyDawg Members

How are crypto currencies not fiat money ? The value is pegged to what ?

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

whatever people need to have, the only power we need, comes from sun and wind and falling water.

i don't mean economics taking the place of government, or one ideology or government taking the place of another,
    or that people beating each other over the head would be any better either.
    even if all of those things were to happen, they wouldn't last forever either.

america, like any nation, is an idea people have in their head,
    and then the use that idea as an excuse to points guns at each other,
    or believe that replacing knowledge of anything else with symbolic value and arbitrary beliefs is all they will ever need.

the problem with all that, is that there really is a real universe,
    and it doesn't depend on what anyone thinks.

but people can and do mess up their surroundings,
    including their dependence on them, that ignorance of,
    doesn't stop from working the way they do.

making war on the environment is like an infant making war on their mother's tit.
    its a lose lose proposition.

now indiginous cultures, that learned from their natural surroundings how to live in them,
    even if the old ones were to be completely gone, which they aren't, by the way,
    when all the illusions are gone, what works to survive is done, or there just isn't anyone to tell about it.

so america is this thing, its really just a name, imposed upon a place, that was no worse off,
    before all of what the european invasion five or six hundered years ago, brought to the western hemisphere.

if all you ever know is one thing, its easy to imagine that one thing is all there has ever been or will be,
    but knowing only one thing, doesn't change the reality, that such a one thing,
    is one among an infinite, or near enough to infinite, diversity of totally other things,
    as many better as worse, and many times more then that, which are neither better nor worse.

so what matters isn't what a place is called,
    but what its like, for each and every self aware being, that lives there.

15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

This is true all the money is going there. But the US goverment owns so many Bitcoin they can likely control the price and supply when needed just like they can with traditional currency. Every time a deep web site it taken down the millions of bitcoin sitting in escrow becomes property of a goverment. I believe this has been a secondary goal from day one because the bank cartels control the world. They really don't a currency controlled by the people. Long term it's just the money of the future and business as usual.

16. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

just as the Internet domain name market is tanking, for several reasons - the advent of smartphones and the increase in top level domains beyond com net org and edu

However, I digress - not like me. really

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

How long Will America Last...???... ..I Guess That Depends On How Long The Good Ship USA

Can Drift Without A Captain At The Helm....???

Cheers Glen.

18. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I know that you will all disagree with me on my view on this topic, but that's ok:
    America will remain powerful for a very long time. I hate that everyone likes to relate America's possible demise to the fall of the Roman Empire. I may be very optimistic, and I know our country has its issues, but there are way too many good people who give a shit and simply will not allow this to happen. We will never be taken over by another country, simply because most of us are combative in nature and just won't stand for the shit. If a take over was imminent, you would see America unite like never before. Think about what an enemy of ours would have to deal with. Our entire Armed Forces, state militias, every type of extremist groups, street gangs, mafias, etc. And there are guns EVERYWHERE.

I don't get into dreading about the future or things I don't have any control over. I deal with them as they come my way, and in the mean time, I try enjoy life as it is. I've been places where people aren't very fortunate and seeing the way they live have made me humble and appreciate our country, our people, and our freedoms.

19. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

they do have a captain though

[​IMG]

20. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Who Is That Captain...???

Cheers Glen.