Home Studios, who's got one? Building one?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Tyrsonswood, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Nice!

The studio system I mentioned above is an AMD 8 core with 16 gig of RAM, Radeon 6950 video card and solid state hard drives... I've got a pair of VelociRaptor drives for RAID 0 too... Haven't hooked them up yet. Thing should haul butt.

Was looking around in the back room of the ReStore yesterday and found a Kawai GB-2 session trainer... Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but it works and it was free. Can't beat free gear.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Oh shit yeah , that thing should rock!

Ha! Cool... found this for the trainer.

[​IMG]

This is a Rare GAR-4125 KAWAI GB2 Session Trainer ROM Card.
    This one is the Jeff Beck Selection and features the tracks of the album "Wired"

• Clyde's Gear Outlet

• Woodstock, GA

3. Tyrsonswood

I take it there were 26 different cards... The collector on YouTube only has 21 of them. Wonder if that's one he's missing.

4. Gongshaman

I don't even need to know what the other 25 artists were, Jeff Beck has to be the coolest card!

:rastana: This guys dancing to Angel footsteps

5. Tyrsonswood

Found one of these at Goodwill today...

[​IMG]

Not my pic... Mine is really beatup looking. Still works fine. $5.00..... No Power supply.

I've got an RP-20 and RP-21D... Probably need combined at some point. I miss my RP-7 Valve...

Toys.

( Yeah.... Toys in the Attic)

6. Tyrsonswood

Oh... and I got this... For $2.00

[​IMG]

(technically I got "one like that"... Not my image)

1 person likes this.
  7. Gongshaman

Screamin' deal on the china cymbal Ty! I think Wuhan china's are awesome.

8. Tyrsonswood

It sounds really nice... Played more like a gong, with a mallet.

9. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Score and score!

10. Gongshaman

Yeah, they are great with mallets. You can get some weird effects mic'ing them near the edge too.

I love the full china crash sound too, but I can't be too near it myself. I got bit really bad by an 18" china standing too close when the drummer smashed it hard. I went around for about two weeks with my left eardrum sounding like a broken fucking kazoo diaphragm. LOL I even look at a china cymbal and it triggers my tinnitus... incredibly loud cymbals

11. Wizardofodd

I don't think my hearing in my right ear is as good as my left ear. Coincidentally, I've had a drummer normally to my right for years so I call that my "drummer ear".

12. Gongshaman

I've always felt my left to be my more musical ear. You've probably heard that the right brain (hemisphere) is the creative side and the left hemisphere is the logical side and that it's the right hemisphere that actually controls the bodys left side muscles and conversely the left hemisphere controls the right. So it kinda makes sense that the left ear, (being controlled by the right (creative) hemisphere) would be the more musical ear.

It's true for me anyway and though it's also true my left ear has taken more damage over the years, I still trust my left ear over my right when it comes to considering a complex musical passage I've never heard before. It seems easier to hear it as a whole than just a string of consecutive notes over chords.

I can't hardly stand a click track in my left ear. When I must record to a click it's always in my right, the more ordered and logical ear

When I'm recording vocals and monitoring with headphones, I always pull the left can off so I can hear my voice in the air, it's the only way I can tell if I'm singing with enough resonance

1 person likes this.
  13. Wizardofodd

Hmm...that's interesting. I've never really thought about it that way.

14. Tyrsonswood

I use both ears.... It's all about the stereo mix.

When I got that RP-5 there were a pair of cables plugged into the input and output jacks.... Speaker cables. Must have sounded great. But, I needed a pair of speaker cables for the bass rig, they tested out so now my bass rig is complete.

15. Gongshaman

Gee maybe I should try that sometime. ( rolls eyes)

16. Tyrsonswood

17. Wizardofodd

I never did end up getting anything accomplished after all that effort to be able to record at home. But....I now have another computer so I can give it another shot.

18. Gongshaman

Actually I've recently noticed the balance has been wandering on my monitor amp. Freaky

19. Gongshaman

I just got a new (used) Pentium 4 tower that'll run XP. 2.8 gig with a gig of ram. No big deal by modern standards of course. I'm not gonna mix an entire movie soundtrack on it or anything, lol...it'll run my cakewalk software just fine for what I do. I can run a pretty big stack of DXI's and still have enough audio tracks without bouncing down alla time.

20. Tyrsonswood

Got part of one wall, the strip of ceiling right above that and both doors sealed and primed tonight. I've got to get some stuff, including the main studio computer out of the guitar room and into the main studio room... Needed this sealed area to put them.

The rest of the ceiling is still borked.... Haven't worked on this space all summer.

2 people like this.