Have a house powered by free energy?

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by scottish1324, Feb 8, 2014.

1. scottish1324

scottish1324 Guest

Hey
    Ive seen all these plans and ways to make free energy that look promising. But does anyone here or know of anyone who has actually made/bought a device and is completely powering their home with it (something other than solar panels) and are willing to share how they did it?

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

You may get arrested by the physics police for breaking the laws of nature:rolleyes:

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Do you mean solar and wind power, as I have not heard of any other ways...

A solar house would be great....

4. scottish1324

scottish1324 Guest

I mean devices like the bedini motor and crystal batteries and other such overunity devices

5. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Even with solar power, you still have to pay someone. It's a huge improvement in the price department. But the government will never let anyone get away with having free electricity. No way. Not unless you want to cook by a campfire and use candles for the rest of your life.

6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

You need a long extension cord and a neighbor with an outdoor plug.....:)

7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

What he said, get an extension cord and drop it down into the window below you and get it plugged in...:sunny:

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

:confused:

In order to have a complete self sustained system you would be best to employ any and all means at your disposal considering the intermittent nature of gathering energy via wind and solar. With a combo solar, wind and geo-thermal setup a person could easily be completely self sufficient in terms of producing electricity and heating/cooling.

The crystal batteries are also a pretty intriguing idea and could also be utilized in a complete energy solution. It utilizes the piezo electric effect, which in essence can produce electricity for a minimum of energy input.

I saw a documentary once and some teenager had developed a piezo electric cell that was like a millimeter square. They embedded thousands of them into a sidewalk and connected the sidewalk to the streetlights and a such. The electricity generated by people simply walking on the sidewalk produced enough voltage to power the lights. The crystals generate a small voltage when compressed, such as when people are walking on them ;).
    The prototype was only about 6' long, but definite proof of concept.
    Fucking brilliant idea! Need more minds like hers.:2thumbsup:

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Nuancing correction: YOUR government (maybe). Not every government and if enough people get clever enough in your country then it could be the government over there has no choice to let you get away with creating free electricity either. I don't believe you are fatalistic but you make yourself come across a little like that here ;) :2thumbsup:

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

only problem with that sentiment is that as far as I know, all power companies, at least in the U.S., are separate business entities with no ties to government. They are simply another business.
    So I don't see how the "government" is going to have much say in the matter if I want to install solar panels, geo-thermal and wind.
    The "government" actually provides tax incentives too switch to solar, so :confused:
    Hell most folks who go to those lengths, if still connected to the grid, sell their excess energy to those companies.

If governments want to get away from fossil fuels, which is not really a matter of choice, they would be best to promote the individual to be more self-sufficient in their energy needs, it just makes the most sense all around.
    But that is a way off, a lot of existing infrastructure to contend with and modify.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Here in the Netherlands too by the way. But local government regulations can often be quite a drag if you want to customize your property in a too particular way. Not in the first place to keep you dependant on 'the system' though.

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

this is not true....this is not even close to being true...this is actually the opposite of what is true regarding living off the grid

13. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you need to balance the cost of going off the grid with the cost of staying on the grid....unless you are rich and can spare no expense to be ''off the gris'' then its hard to achieve without solar power

even with solar power many people also use a generator to beef up the charge along with outdoor furnace to burn wood and provide radiant heat[Canada]

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Do you hear of folks using simple geo-thermal for heating/cooling?
    In it's most rudimentary form, you run water lines down into the ground deep enough that the temp is about a constant 60 degrees fahrenheit or better, then lines back up and run throughout the flooring and walls. How deep will depend on the site. Land with close proximity to magma pockets/hot springs will provide the best return at the shallowest depth.
    That system will maintain a good average temp, warm in winter, cool in summer.
    Something like that could actually be done by the homeowner with minimal cost, but lots of labor.

If you have the $$$ you could even go deeper to the point of producing steam and then use that to power a turbine hooked up to a generator and viola', free electricity. :2thumbsup:

I imagine in colder climates like Canada that type of setup would work great, just have to make sure the water is always circulating in order to avoid frozen lines.

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

and if you live near the ocean, you could use tidal forces to generate electricity ;)

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

yes noxious i have heard of it.....one of my best friends is off the grid 100 percent....no wires going to the house from the road or anywhere

they have a solar array combined with a massive gas generator.the house is a mansion.....all wood.......concrete basement where the radiant lines are for the heat....and yes....they use a deep drilled well to cool it in the summer....mostly to keep the system runnig.....you cant just shut off a radiant setup

the outdoor woodburning furnace where the radiant heating is supplied is about 50 feet from the house and can be filled once a day or every 2 days on low

17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

nice :2thumbsup:

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i wouldn't call it free, but living off grid is certainly possible.

sun, wind, falling water, and even geothermal, can all be found in nature.

technologies to harvest them are mostly affordable. if you can afford land to build/live on, you can afford them.

the term "free energy", is a bit misleading. but energy free from oil, coal, nuclear fission and corporate power monopolies is certainly possible.

it does involve educating yourself. more then what someone can tell you in casual online conversation.

alternative energy system component retailers can be found on line. most of them also carry the knowledge resources you will need to study and learn to install and operate them.

if people are going to whine, that's not what they're talking about, i can't help them.

it is true that any fluctuation in a magnetic field will induce a current in a wire, and any current in a wire will generate a magnetic field.
    it is true that weak magnetic field variations can be found almost anywhere.
    and yes, you can call that free. there is however, this minor little nagging detail of how much.

those three basic laws of energy are a simple observation of reality. there are no "free" cheats of them.

like i said, you CAN find minor mag-field variations sufficient to induce a current that can be detected with a sufficiently sensative meter.
    sorry to burst the bubble of the fantasy that there's very much else that can be done with them.
    you won't power a car or a refrigerator that way, unless you're directly withing the mag-field of a high power intertie, in which case, you will be inductively stealing from it.

but you CAN do so, with solar panels, water wheels and wind turbans, in combination with batteries and other storage means, to regularize the energy you collect with them.

you just need the solar panels, water wheels, wind mills, charging regulators and storage devices, (usually deep cycle batteries, though flywheels magnetically suspended, and other methods can also be used).

not "free", but, not, as the power monopolies would have you believe, prohibatively expensive either.

19. David0301

David0301 Members

these babylon mofos here in Tenerife have made it ilegal to be 100% self sufficient imagine! otherwise i would have gotten a solar panel long time ago. imagine people here still pay for electricity despite all the daily burning, energy producing sun. industry is behind that (crime)

20. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

Well I guess it depends on what your overall goal is.
    There is no such thing as free energy, energy can only change forms and energy in is always greater than energy out. You can't break the laws of thermodynamics, but you can exploit them.

Rocket stoves are an excellent, low cost, environmentally friendly way to heat a home. Back home the big farmhouse had one and used about a cord and a half to heat the place for the winter. Instead of a big refrigerator we had a big ice chest and two propane refrigerators from old campers that ran on wood.