Gun violence- are you a victim or know somone who was?

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Eric!, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The problem is you really have to drill to get anything right. That's why you have to practice musical instruments daily and drill drill drill in sports.

In emergency situations there often isn't time to think, you have to go on training.
    Responses have to be automatic. It's like being in a fight, if you have to think about what you're going to do next, you're in big trouble.

Eric! likes this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's sad that your uncle's friend had to make a very bad decision. The wallet and everything in it can be replaced eventually. Why was your aunt shot and killed?

3. Eric!

Lol, you were just going to make sure that sum bitch never came back! The first time I got jumped by the two guys, I chased after them as they went across the street, then I backed off when I saw where they were running to. A few of their buddies came out, and I decided the pursuit was useless at that point, and I didn't want to get dog piled by these guys. Street smarts.

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Nobody knows for sure. They think it was her boyfriend he wasn' charged though. Also rumors it was a drug deal gone bad.

5. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. Eric!

Wow, that really hits home when you lose a family member over something like that. I know it does for me.

7. Eric!

Wow, 21 yrs old.......
    I don't see what charges they think they could bring against this guy. He's legally carrying, was in a life threatening situation, etc. Unless he was in violation of company policy on privately owned handguns being on the premises, what case would they really have?

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

They likely won't but dead people need paperwork. I promise you the cops do everything they can to help a legal gun owner that legally carries, not regret shooting someone if needed.

In the case of my deranged ex wife, I have sworn out a no trespass order against her. The cops have already said, if she shows up at your house we will assume it isn't too ask me to go have coffee. They simply say we'd understand your need to use deadly force and we'd write it up as such. You'd make our job easier if it was deadly force as there would be no requirement to ask her any questions.

They try to help us all if we go to the trouble to legally responsibly use a weapon.

Eric! likes this.
  9. Eric!

It will be a lot less paperwork in this case, compared to what it would be if the criminal lived.

10. Eric!

11. Eric!

I'm sure there are a lot more people that have had bad experiences, or know someone that has, they just don't want to talk about it. That's how some people cope with the loss, and try to move on.

12. zetamey

zetamey Members

Just the thought of a gun being near me and used in the wrong way already makes me anxious. Glad I never been in a situation like this. I think it's definitely traumatic.

Eric! likes this.
  13. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

A few times....

My father and another police officer were jumped by a group of Black Panthers in 1974. One sliced my father’s leather jacket open with a knife. Dad put a bullet in his head. The son of a bitch actually survived and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. A local Black Panther rep told the Boston Globe they were going to kill our entire family so we were rushed out of our house in the middle of the night and put under the police protection until the trials were over. I was 5.

They brought us to my aunt’s house north of Boston. She already had round-the-clock protection because she’d witnessed a murder in the parking lot at the VA Hospital in W. Roxbury (W. Roxbury is part of Boston). She was a nurse there. The murder turned out to be a mob hit, so she had FBI agents guarding her so she could testify. We stayed there for about 2 months.

When I was 7 my sister and I were riding in the car with my father when he pulled over to stop a street fight. As he approached the two guys fighting, one of them pulled out a pair of surgical scissors and raised them in the air. Dad pulled his gun, disarmed the attacker, then proceeded to bitch him out while poking him in the forehead with his gun to drive the point home. I’ll never forget it. As Dad walked back to the car I heard the guy call out and thank him for not arresting him. Why Dad would stop with his two kids in the car still baffles me.

When I was 12 I was held hostage on an MBTA bus by some homeless whackjob with a big hunting knife. There were about 15 of us on the bus. He held us hostage for over 2 hours because he didn’t want to pay the 25 cent fare.

When I was 15 Dad jumped out of the car to confront a drunk who’d thrown a beer can at his car in South Boston. Dad got about 10 feet away when the guy pulled a gun and started screaming that he was going to kill him. It was a real “Oh fuck” moment. Dad stayed calm and just turned around and walked to a payphone about 20 feet away and called 911 and waited for a cruiser to show up.

When I was 22 I had a knife pulled on me again. This time it was by a drunk, racist-as-fuck, piece of shit soldier in my unit. He was confined to the barracks for being drunk on duty and somehow managed to get his hands on a bottle of Crown Royal. He drank the whole bottle, hallucinated some imaginary race riot, then came after me with a knife. MP’s finally took him down and sent him off to rehab.

The same year of the above knife incident, my cousin got shot. I was in the Army and he was Navy. He was in Jacksonville, FL for a Navy school and caught a guy breaking into his truck at a hotel. Cousin got shot twice but still managed to kill the car thief with a knife.

About a year later my uncle (Dad’s brother was also a police officer) shot a guy who kidnapped a women and her son. They chased him down in his car so he jumped out shooting. My uncle fired back and shot him (kidnapper survived).

And when I was 24 had a gun pulled on me by some gang-banger at work. I don’t know what he was screaming about because he didn’t speak English, but he was obviously pissed off about something. It happened really fast, but a coworker slammed him into the pavement.

No more incidents since that last one (25 years ago).

Eric! likes this.
  14. Eric!

SouthPaw, thanks for sharing man. You been through enough stuf 25 years ago and certainly don't need anymore shit. Your father certainly has seen his share of action, probably even more than what you shared, because you talked about times when you were actually with him. Police officers see more action on these streets than a lot of deployed soldiers serving in a combat zone. I have a question about the protective custody in order to stand witness for a trial. After the trial is over do they continue to provide this service for a period of time, or are you on your own immediately after the trial?

SouthPaw likes this.
  15. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

Thanks Eric.

I’m not sure how witness protection works. I was really young so didn’t fully understand what was happening. I remember playing with an FBI badge and asking why it was different than my father’s, but that’s all I really noticed.

I learned all the details as an adult. My grandmother gave me a bunch of newspaper articles about it and my mother filled in the blanks (her sister was the nurse).

16. Eric!

Oh ok. I assume everything went back to normal hopefully. That's always seemed like an intriguing experience for people having to relocate, temporarily or permanently. I don't have any friends that went through anything like that, just what I've seen on tv and in movies. It would be hard mentally for me to do that as old as I am.

17. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

I witnessed my first murder at 4, when a man shot his girlfriend and threw her out of the car in our driveway when we lived in rural Florida.

My best friend took her own life with a gun when she was 26. Both of her children had died within a year, one was terminally ill, the other was a tragic accident. They were 5 and 3

That same year my childhood friend (who was like a brother) was at a keg party, and a group of wannabe gang members showed up. They had our mutual friend, and his wife (both of which we'd known since grade school), on their knees begging for their lives, with a gun pointed at her head. He had given them his wallet, wedding rings, and they ripped out her earrings. When my friend tried to intervene, pleading with them to just take everything and leave, he was shot 3 times with a shotgun. Once the party cleared out he was found dead under a truck. He was 19. The people responsible for his death have all been out of prison for years. Two were 16, one was 17. the other 19. All of this was over $17 in cash, 2 fake gold wedding bands, and a pair or plastic earrings.

I had a crazy ex tried to break into my house, armed with a shotgun. My dog attacked him before he was completely in the house (through a window), he dropped the gun, and ran away. No charges were filed against him because his dad was a high ranking cop, and the file got "lost" His dad lost a lot of files for his psycho son. When I moved to a different county, my friend who was a cop said "Shoot to kill, and let us worry about the paperwork." when I asked what I should do if she tried to break in again.

There have been others, but those are the easiest to explain.

Eric! likes this.
  18. Eric!

Wow.......
    Thank you for sharing that, Eden. Very interesting testimonies. Do you have a concealed carry permit? After everything you just told me, and what you have been through, I think I would never be caught without a gun. I was kind of confused at your last paragraph, though. Were you talking about the same ex or two different ones?

19. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

Yes I do have a CCW, and never leave home without my sidearm (either my Taurus .45mm or Taurus .9mm, depending on where I am going). I carry for various reasons, other than personal protection. I ride with Search and Rescue, and spend a lot of time in the middle of the mountains, so I carry a sidearm, and have a rifle on my saddle. I don't want to shoot any wildlife, and try to avoid it if at all possible, and so far warning shots have worked. I also carry them in case a horse gets too injured to save. I will not let any animal suffer. It is not pleasant to put down a horse, but it is cruel to let it suffer.

The ex was just the one, a psycho I dated for about a year. He has left me alone since. Unfortunately, he terrorized other women, for years, until daddy retired and couldn't help him anymore.

Eric! likes this.
  20. Eric!

Oh ok, excellent. I just have one gun at the moment. It's a CZ P10C, 9mm, and it's mainly for family protection.

His Eden likes this.