Gun violence- are you a victim or know somone who was?

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Eric!, Feb 22, 2018.

1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I have carried and relied on a single pistol for decades. In my previous career, I had to qualify with various required classes of firearms. Ironically the only time I have needed to draw a weapon has been in regular citizen situations. I had another pistol that was my dad's. It was stolen out if my car while they put a new set of tires on it. Because I didn't have the S/N of a 50 year old gun, they would not make an arrest because I couldn't prove who had possession since his story was it was his gun all along.

Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't feel the need to own a bunch if guns. I hope to be able to midigate most events with a simple handgun. And I can only shoot one thing at a time.

His Eden and Eric! like this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You nailed it right on the head! I have told all my friends that have a different gun for every day of the month the same exact thing: you only have two hands, and you need of then to reload. It's ridiculous to have a frickin arsenal of firearms. I get it, some people, probably a lot of people, love various firearms, and collect them for that reason. But there's a population out there that's armed to the teeth, because they want to be ready for shit like the zombie apocalypse or the government to turn rogue against the citizens, or some silly shit like that. You can only do so much.

His Eden likes this.
  3. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

I agree about not needing a bunch of guns. The one's I have each have a specific, and/or required purpose. In certain areas where I ride with Search and Rescue, (and ride in general, as we have bears and mountain lions here) I have to carry a rifle. My sidearm is for self protection, and I had to qualify with it when I was in Mounted Posse. My .9mm is just lighter and easier to carry when I have to have it on me all day. I practice with all of them on a regular basis, and have to qualify on all of them yearly. I belong to a gun club, and do mounted (horseback) shooting competitions. I firmly believe if I own a gun, I had better know how to use it.

Eric! likes this.
  4. Eric!

That's awesome Eden!

His Eden likes this.
  5. Eric!

All women should learn how to shoot. Period.

Noserider and His Eden like this.
  6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Jesus...

That's horrible. Every story you told, just...my God!

I believe rape numbers would drop like like Snoop Dogg with something hot.

7. Eric!

And that's exactly why I think they should, because of that end state right there.

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Oh I TOTALLY GET IT Eden. I wasn't being critical at all towards you. I just think that more people need to understand that part of this problem that gets assimilated is that gun owners are a bunch of gun collecting Rambo types that have arsenals of weapons. If I lived in a different environment I may well decide additional guns would suit me. Truth be told we have a wild hog problem on our site at work. They have killed 2 of our expensive security dogs and screwed up our drainage systems multiple times. I carry a sidearm on me anyway (My personal weapon), thinking, I'd take one out with it if need be as they are aggressive. So I asked a hog hunter. He said what I had won't stop anything over 100 lbs. when they are coming after you. I was like CRAP. I carry a .40 Glock. I don't really wish to go up to a .45. They are obnoxious to shoot and really are overkill in my opinion for my needs. So he said, at least use wad cutters as they can at least penetrate the hogs body better. I have invited them to come hunt hogs on our site. I went out twice to observe. Holy CRAP they run at like 30MPH and travel in packs and many weight over 150 lbs. They use all the firepower and capacity they can as its turns into a shooting gallery type setting with the exception that the hogs will charge you when they are being attacked.

I have at times considered a good 12 gauge shotgun as a home defense asset. But then I got worry about who gets offended if they see it, buying different ammo, where to keep it to be the most effective etc. But then I think....hell I can take out the same problem with the same handgun. I don't see myself in a situation that will be more than maybe 50 feet and hopefully only one assailant. So I don't need a 100 round version of an AR-15. I don't hunt. So no animal specific guns needed.

Eric! and His Eden like this.
  9. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

Oh, I didn't think your were being critical of me. I agree with you that some people own WAY too many guns (and a lot of those same people have never needed one, or have enough experience to use of proficiently if they need to).

My uncle used to get paid to hunt wild boar, because they were prolific and posed a threat to people in a state park. He went with his brother in law, and used trained dogs (Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Rottweilers) to help run the boar to wear it out. After one hunt, they thought they had a boar ready to take down. The dogs, the boar, and the hunters were all exhausted. Then all hell broke loose, and the boar killed one of the dogs, and was attacking another, before my uncle could take a shot. He shot the boar, pissed it off even more, and it went after his brother in law. They finally killed it. My uncle wasn't a bad shot, boars can just be that hard to take down. It had mauled 4 of the highly trained dogs, killed another one, and was shot multiple times before it finally dropped. My uncle said that he had never been afraid he was about to die while hunting until that trip. They were able to save the injured dogs, and never used them to hunt again. Boars can be nasty, and a lot more dangerous than people think. My uncle knew, and still had to fight for his life, and the lives of his brother in law, and his pack of dogs. So, I can relate to your story. Wild boar are angry pigs on steroids with sharp tusks, a thick hide, and no fear.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Eric! likes this.
  10. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

NotMyRealName, Having a handgun and a shotgun would not make you an obsessed gun collector; far from it. A shotgun is a practical addition for self defense in your home. As for the best place to keep it, somewhere safe, but easy accessible to you. The benefit of having a shotgun for home defense is the intruder is more likely to be hit/stopped/or convinced to leave in a hurry, in a high adrenaline situation. There is a huge difference between hitting a stationary paper target, and a moving, breathing one that is likely to pose an immediate threat to you, your family, etc. Another benefit is that the round fired is not likely to miss, and go through a wall, and possibly into a neighbors home. You can buy home defense shells with bird shot, rock salt, rubber pellets, etc. Many times just the sound of racking a shotgun will stop a would-be intruder from proceeding. It's a distinct sound, and leaves little doubt that you are an armed and intend on defending yourself.

When it comes to home defense at my house, if my 180lb, and 90lb dogs don't make a potential intruder change their mind, it gives me those precious seconds to arm myself, and dial 9-1-1. Unfortunately, sometimes the difference between defending your life, and being a victim, are a few short precious seconds. Don't worry if someone is offended if you buy ammo for 2 different types of guns, because if you ever need to use either one of them, the potentially offended person isn't going to be there to help protect you.

Eric! and Irminsul like this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

[​IMG]

Noserider and Eric! like this.
  12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yes I pretty much outlined this to others in a gun control thread. I have a background career that trained me in firearm training scenarios. Try to explain that even with training, I'm likely gonna need more than 6 shots. They simply suggest that we must be stupid to not be able to hit someone with one shot. You can't really talk about real world applications, since they refuse to acknowledge that world exist.

The same intimidation factor an assailant sees from a shotgun a handgun also offers.

And I load with RIP rounds. They do well in body cavities but not so we'll passing through a wall.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. Noserider

Is she single and willing to downgrade??

Irminsul likes this.
  14. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

[​IMG]

Every time you are pulled over for revenue extraction in police state America you are being detained with the threat of being shot.

Try driving away or not cooperating , they will kill you.

farmerdon likes this.
  15. Eric!

What's the real story with that picture?

16. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

My aunt owned a couple of acres and bred Afghan Hounds, so it was almost like a vacation. A vacation with a lot of strange people hanging around, but we were in heaven playing with the dogs all day.

Eric! likes this.
  17. Noserider

I recently found out that a good friend of my dad's was shot and killed by his wife.

Of course, he used to refer to her as "the ****" so I'm not exactly sure who's side I'm on here, but now I know someone who was the victim gun violence.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I would have been if my feet hadn't done their duty. Guy pulled it from 3 feet away--when he started checking to see if there were any shells in in it---I bolted. And lived to tell.

19. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Not personally but I had a friend who accidentally killed his elderly war veteran neighbor with his hand gun. Someone broke in to his house and he shot. The bullet went through the apartment wall and hit his neighbor. The burglar caught my friend and beat him pretty badly. Apparently held a gun to his head too. Lucky he did not kill him and just wanted his stuff. The dead man was in WW2 and survived who knows how many combat encounters just to die there. The police came and for a while considering charging my friend with something and he did sit in jail for a while. Because the situation is a dead man, no burglar to be found, and a person claiming that is why the man is dead.

My friend got an attorney recommended by some of his gun friends who argued that it was not even manslaughter. It was only my friend protecting himself and accidents happen. The man's daughter cried in court when the not guilty plea was read. I was a character witness for my friend. I was honest that yes he liked guns and had told me he would kill an intruder. But that I had never seen him act strange and that I believed he was safe with guns and had no reason to kill the man. He was as close to a "good guy" as you get I guess but it is still a dangerous weapon you hold in your hand. I had shot guns with him before this and never really enjoyed it. After this I knew I would never have one.

20. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Been shot, shot at, drawn on, and even "returned the favor". Ain't fun.