Growing Peyote

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Vox, May 24, 2006.

1. Vox

Vox Member

Hi all,

some friends of mine has bought me a peyote cactus as birthday present...
    They are looking forward to taste some good mescaline [​IMG] (even if it'll take about 10 years [​IMG] )

Do you know any tips about growing it?

2. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

just like anny cactus,little watter lots of sun,warm temps.
    BUUUt,the payote cactice is on the endangerd spieces list.It got there from folks ripping them from the ground for their mesculine.the whole plant isnt used annyway just the bottons,so lots of button produceing plants were lost by folks digging them up.When all they need to do is pluck a botton.
    if your friends got that plant from the ground it should go back into the area it came from.Besides it takes a good hand full of bottons to get a dose so one plant isnt gonna do it,and allso there are bettewr and more convient ways to get mesculine.but payote is sacred and belongs in the ground.
    sunshine to you
    frog

3. Vox

Vox Member

I know peyote is endangered. But I don't think mine has been ripped from the ground anywhere, I think it was grown from seeds to be sold on the internet (from where my friends got it)...
    Anyway, I wouldn't have the chance to replant it where it came from as I live more or less in the opposite part of the globe.
    I also know that peyote is sacred, but for the reasons above, I don't think I'm doing any harm to anyone, or else I don't think I could do anything different than keeping it and growing it the best I can.
    Thanks for your answer.
    D

4. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

I understand,,thats cool..annyway they do make for a pretty cool house cactus.just make shure you got good drainage from the pot a cactus mix soil wilould be good.lots of sun and good drainage should help it stay healthy.
    frog

5. ginseng23

ginseng23 Member

Peyote isnt a cactus for a novice. I havent grown it but from what i know Hoodia gordonii which is a succulent has similar culture conditions. I have left my Hoodia for 2 months without watering and it has done well.

If all u are after is mescaline i think you should grow some Trichocereus as they are easy to grow and grow alot faster, they may even do well outdoors where you live.

They tolerate more water than Peyote does.