Dreadlock Forum: Knotty Know-How

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by DancerAnnie, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheStairway1971

TheStairway1971 Member

Another question. Mildew grows inside of the dreds if they aren't entirely dried. That's not a good thing, it smells.

Does using a blowdryer work? I knowyou're supposed to "wring out" the dreds, but wouldn't a blowdryer be faster? Obviously, I'm just a novice when it comes to dreds, haha. Doing research helps, but any help from real people is so much better.
    Thanks.

Peace and love
    ----Me

2. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Here's a link to a blow dryer discussion we had recently:
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122783

And I really recommend browsing around the Knotty Know How forum a bit - there's a wealth of information available there, and some really cool people. :D Welcome to hipforums and dreadie life!

3. eatmoreplants

eatmoreplants Member

My dreads are turning 2 in january. I can't believe how much we both have grown. I love my hair! I think i am going to have a birthday party for them. maybe people will bring them presents- like beads and tams...

soaringeagle and dancerannie- i can't believe (well i do believe- just a turn of phrase) that your dreads are natural. they look so beautiful! most of the nonbackcombed dreads i have seen are more messy and less roundish than yours.

4. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

My hair is natural, but it's still a mess ;) A good mess, though.

5. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

how does one start preparing for dreads?

6. DancerAnnie

See: Knotty Know HOw forum

7. mat9

mat9 Member

ok,i have a question,i have like a fro(well kinda had a fro type deal),and i always wanted dreads,and i finally went with it,and its been about 2-3 monthes,and i havent done anything,and i have about 6 dreadthings,more like matts in my mind,and they feel really awkward,one is formed by about 2 or 3 little ones,and one curls,and i dont really feel like waiting years for them to actually be dreads

does anyone know like how i can get them in,i know ways,i just want to be sure,like could i go to a hair place(specific ones?) and have them do it? anyone,thanks

8. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor

9. tanaFace

tanaFace Member

i am doing my dreads myself..i have been messing around and trying all kinds of different ways..just having fun kinda....but last night i put i tid bit too much wax...any easy or really good ways to get it out??

10. DancerAnnie

Soak them in extremely hot water and squeeze each as hard as you can...or start over from scratch....

11. Billie

Billie Member

i love my dreads but im thinking off getting rid of them and growing my hair then doing them again in a year or so because my hair doesnt grow longer at this point due to the dreadage. my question: how do i go about it without turning to the scissors.. CAN my hair be salvaged?

xx

12. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

IT WILL GROW, Billie! Trust me! I let mine go when my hair was short and it seemed like it took forever for them to grow at all (as all hair growth was just "swallowed" by the tightening of the locks) And now they're halfway down my back. Hell, Soaring Eagle has said that he grew his out from short and now they're draggin on the ground! :D Have Patience! :)

13. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Patience is a virtue afterall :)

14. elmae

elmae Member

Hey guys, I was just looking for a bit of advice / encouragement... I'm mad keen on getting myself some dreads but I'm a bit worried how they'll turn out cus my hair is pretty damn thin. If anyone's got any experience of dreading thin hair or any tips I'd be grateful. I really don't wanna be told it's impossible cus I would weep. I figure I might as well go ahead and do it and see how it works out - what do you people think? PS, the bonus is my hair gets tangled and knotty uber easily so I guess that might go in my favour.

Thanks!

15. DaWeasel

DaWeasel Member

hey guys, i got dreads a couple of weeks ago, my little sister backcombed them in for me (isnt she cool!!!). Unfortunatly she didnt do them very tight and when I washed them a week later many of them fell out. Since then shes put them back in a bit tighter and they're looking good again.
    Anyway another weeks gone by and i want to wash them again; what can i do to stop them coming out when i wash them again. Anyone got any ideas?

Also any advise on remedies for an itchy scalp (AHHH MAKE IT STOP!) and getting rid of dandruffy dreads would be wicked.

Thanks guys, have a good one

16. dreadlockswampy

dreadlockswampy Swampmiester

I can't see any problem with you not having dreads, just go for it :)

17. DaWeasel

DaWeasel Member

yeah my hairs pretty fine (thin) as well and mine dreads are doing fine, although my sis was cursing my name while she was doing them :p. I think they probably take a little longer to put in than thicker hair but then again, Im no expert or anything.

anyway good luck, i found getting a dread kit is really helpful if you want to go that way.

18. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

My friend got a one dread naturally because he doesn't brush his hair...we had to cut it out...lol

19. alektrahippie

alektrahippie Member

yea i didnt brush the underpart of my hair for like... ages. and then i got a dread. it wouldnt brush out and i hadto cut it out. and my hair is dead straight. it was evil as im trying to grow my hair real long to get them done.

20. hamish...

hamish... Member

i had rly thin soft hair and my bro dun my dreads about 3-4 months ago. because my hair was so soft he back-combed them and plastered them in wax and puts wax bak in them every 3-5 weeks but theyre just a mess they just come apart, fray and totally fuck up and its soooo annoying i feel like i dnt hav dreads anymore and because my hair is my only pride...im starting to go mad give me some tips! i hate it because my dreads are down to my shoulders and really dont want to cut my hair off.
    when my hair is waxed it looks like proper dreadlocks like they should be because my bro dusnt melt the wax in so they kinda just go hard and look like theyre going to knott up..a bit.

i have dreadlock shampoo from dreadheadhq should i wash my hair with that? should i just keep puttin LOADS of wax in like usual but more frequently? should i cut my hair off and start off with smaller dreads and grown them...?

if ANYBODY has good advice please please please email me it would be appreciated so much or you could message me on myspace. my email is: kornklown@hotmail.co.uk

my myspace url is: http://www.myspace.com/dready_or_knot

thankyou guys...please giv me advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.