Down in a hole

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Sign Related, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Sign Related

Sign Related The Don Killuminati

What goes into a black hole... does go out of existence for good or does it convert into 100% gravity?

2. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

What happens to matter in a black hole is really an open question as we lack an understanding of matter under such conditions. Gravity provides the force that pulls matter in, what happens to it then is very much dependent on the strength of the gravitational attraction. The matter will become increasingly dense until some retarding force acts to stop the collapse. This is usually force from the Pauli exclusion principle. If this repulsive force is felt between electrons you get a white dwarf star. If the mass is bigger then the collapse will continue and will next be stopped by neutrons, forming a neutron star. If the star is to dense for repulsion between neutrons then the star will collapse further. Things get more hypothetical at this point, theoretically there could be a quark star, when repulsion between quarks retards the collapse although such a body has not been seen. After this who knows the collapse could continue indefinitely, a black hole.

3. Utilitarian

Utilitarian Member

Black holes slowly lose mass and over a period of time in the order of 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years at which point they lose so much mass they do not have enough gravity to stay a black hole anymore and explode. So I guess what happens the object thrown into a black hole is torn apart into elementary particles and a proportion of these particles will be spewed out as determined by the mass of the black hole divided by the minimum mass of the black hole to 1, at which point the rest are ejected out when the black hole explodes.

This means the chances of you being pieced back together are quite slim should you ever get sucked into a black hole.

4. heartsnotfarts

heartsnotfarts Member

One time I used some of Hawking's equations for the thermodynamics of black holes as well as Hawking radiation to figure out how long it would take for Rosie O Donnell to evaporate.

Try searching wikipedia for Hawking radiation.

5. yahweyhoo

yahweyhoo Member

why do these damm stars have to die and suck the life out of space? it makes no sense. but then death is inherent in nature and we can do no good about the subject.

on the other hand, what if all life is nanotechnology, and black holes were natures honey traps, convincing stray or successful masses and their dominant overmind into moving to another quarter, plane or level of the environment that the technology resides. look at it like this, and one shall renounce your pithy theories for the grand ride of pure fantasy!!!

6. heartsnotfarts

heartsnotfarts Member

Hope this helps from the top of my head, and I do apologize if I do not explain as thoroughly as Neil Degrasse-Tyson.

During the majority of a star's lifetime, there is a careful balance in play called hydrostatic equilibrium. What happens is the inward gravitational force is balanced by the outward force of pressure resulting from nuclear fusion reactions. When disturbances occur, the pressure and gravity always cancel out. Think of it like negative feedback in biological systems, especially when homeostasis is involved. Later in a star's lifetime, it may exhaust it's supply of hydrogen and begin to fuse helium and helium to make carbon, carbon and carbon to make oxygen, and so on, creating heavier elements in the process. This is known as nucleosynthesis, when heavier elements are made from lighter ones. During the later stages of nucleosynthesis, the outward pressure of fusion overcomes the inward force of gravity, so the star expands and cools. This is when a red giant is formed. After this, several things can occur. The outer layers of the star can be blasted off in a supernova to leave only the core behind, this glowing hot mass is known as a white dwarf. Over time, a white dwarf cools to form a brown dwarf. Another possibility is that the outward pressure from nuclear fusion is no longer sufficient to balance out with gravity. In this case, the star will contract. Because of sonic waves and magnetic effects, there is often a rebound in the contraction resulting in a supernova. But when this process of contraction begins, it may continue until the mass that was the star collapses into a black hole, a region of infinite density where the curvature in spacetime becomes infinite, where time stops, and all the laws of physics break down. What happens inside of a black hole? It is very hard to tell, the two main pillars of modern physics, general relativity and quantum mechanics, do not shed light on the processes inside a black hole. Such is why new theories are being developed. Personally, I'm not a fan of string theory but hold some hope in a theory known as loop quantum gravity, especially some of the ideas formed by Lee Smolin, author of the book "The Trouble With Physics" and physicist at the Perimeter Institute outside of Toronto. I do suggest his book, he was a former string theory researcher and he provides a relatively objective view to recent trends in physics, more so than pro-string Brian Greene and anti-string Peter Woit.

PS I want to be a physicist later in life.

7. heartsnotfarts

heartsnotfarts Member

Oh and try checking out something called the Hertzsprung-Russel diagram.

8. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

I can draw that thing with my eyes closed......

what about a wormhole connecting 2 black holes??? Or I should say, the wormhole would connect the infinities of the 2 black holes.....

9. dollydagger

and there is no way of knowing.....

10. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

I did a paper on black holes and other phenomena of the cosmos in high school physics. It's been 25 years, but my memory is this:

Stars have a finite life time. When stars get old, they expand outward until their internal energy is depleted, at which point they collapse in on themselves. If they are sufficiently large, the momentum of the collapsing particles is so powerful that the collision results in an astral body composed of infinitely dense anti matter, which is a black hole. The black hole draws anything near it inward, and serves as a portal to other parts of the cosmos. Objects that enter the gravitational field of the black hole are accelerated to beyond the speed of light, at which point their properties change, they enter the black hole, travel through a worm hole, and are ejected through a white hole into another part of the cosmos.

11. dollydagger

White holes are still limited to mathematical theory - but that doesn't mean that they dont exist...they just haven't found one yet. It wasnt too long ago that black holes were only just mathematical theory, then they found some to prove that they in fact DO exist....but as for what happens when something passes the event horizon is still up for speculation

12. Mellow Yellow

That's how it will remain, because any body of matter, including any instrument we could build to record such an event, would be destroyed in the process of entering a black hole. White holes got their name because all that matter and energy exiting them manifests itself as light.

13. Squilla

Squilla Banned

I believe black holes are just the universes recycling system. I believe the black hole when it sucks stuff it compresses all that stuff down into nothing. It seems like a hard concept but the universe is not simple. Worm holes are another subject.

14. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Yellow

Who sold you that crock of shit. An old lady at your door that was also selling jesus?
    Singularities are a logical progression.
    Who says they eject their input into THIS universe...???
    Who says they eject anything..science certainly DOES NOT
    Can you show that this is the ONLY universe.. NO.
    Reality is BIG..
    Or have you been conditioned to believe that this observable universe is all there is?
    LOL... small thinking..NO evidence.

Occam

PS. they are NOT accelerated beyond the speed of light.. no mass under this universes laws can even reach light speed.
    Relativistic effects are not relavent in this case.. please dont bring them up.

15. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

"Do I believe that the observable universe is all there is?"

True, there is no evidence that it is all that there is.
    And, by definition, there is no evidence that anything else exists. Collecting evidence is making observations, hence what is supported by evidence is observable.

Two alternatives with equal evidence (none).

It seems to me that the Least Hypothesis is that the observable universe is all that there is.
    I'm positive that no one will ever encounter the unobservable.

16. Morning Bell

Morning Bell Member

Your hatred of Christianity, yet belief that there may be more to life than is observed astounds!

Who says worm holes or white holes even exist? It's all just mathematical theory, with no evidence to yet back it up, or even give it honest plausiblity. Sci-fi stuff. For now, assume that a black hole leads to a singularity, where space and time become infinitely dense. That's my best bet. Excluding Hawking Radiation, which has already been mentioned on here.

All kinds of crazy stuff on this subject, such as the problem with information disappearing into a black hole. This is a problem since information can't be destroyed, but Hawking radiation kind of fixes this.

Too tired to get into all this now. I'm sorry if I came off as a snob or something. Just check out some NOVA or Discovery specials haha. They're the best when dealing with this stuff. Anything the average person will try to extrapolate from their pretty basic knowledge is probably way off.

17. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

18. Mellow Yellow

There's no evidence to prove otherwise either. The point is, no one knows, and there is no way to prove or disprove anyone's theory. Whether or not you accept the idea of relativistic effects, that's up to you. What it comes down to is how you define the subject, what model you use.

You make a good point though, a worm hole could lead into another universe, it need not necessarily lead to another part of our own.

And there's no evidence to disprove the idea that anything ejects anything either, so why not entertain the idea that black holes, worm holes, and white holes are gateways for matter to travel between universes.

And sure, no matter can exceed the speed of light in the universe as we know it, according to our limited models, but there's a lot we don't know, so why not lighten up and have fun with it?

19. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Mourning Bell

1.I hate nothing.
    2.Hawking radiation is .. hmm how shall i say it...a theory.
    one i have never held in high regard even though i have the greatest respect for the man himself.
    3. You did not come off as a snob. turd maybe.. but not a snob...lol

Dont worry mate.. just dogging you..
    please keep posting.
    I love your work.

Occam

PS
    I believe we know virtually nothing.
    We may have souls. there may be a heaven[or analogue]. there may be a million uiverses.. all created by a GOD.
    BUT
    GOD did not create reality.
    Reality has ALWAYS existed. No beginning. no end.

Occam

20. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Mellow

Ahh. what model we use.. thats the important thing is it not?
    There is evidence for black holes/singularities
    None for whiteholes or wormholes.. differentiate please.
    Lighten up...?
    I am hydrogen..hehehe

I 'am' having fun. Talking to thinking minds like you is the best fun there is.
    Dont underestimate your effect on others .. one inquiring mind to me is worth 10 thousand tv watchers. You are such a mind. as are many others here at hip.. My friend themnax is another. Black bill and 13 are too.

Morning bell will be if he sticks with it and follows his head.
    [god wish i was 18 again lol]

Occam