Does Everything Have A Logical Explanation?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Deidre, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Have you ever had an experience that seemed to defy a logical explanation, or that only you believed, and people around you were skeptical? Do you think that everything that you experience has a logical explanation, or do you think there are some things that don't make sense and you can't find an answer for it?

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Once I was on holiday in France. It was a Catholic area, and "Le Sacre Coeur" was very big there. I didn't fully know what it meant, so I went to a big dictionary. It had a hard spine, so it couldn't open to a particular page because someone had thumbed it a lot. This must have been a 1500 or more page book. Any way I opened the book at random and my finger found "Sacre Coeur" just like that, at first attempt. I've often wondered if this was just a coincidence or if something was guiding me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Yes, a lot of times I'll be thinking something and someone else will immediately say it. This has happened like over a thousand times before.

1 person likes this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Yea, that's where I was going with the thread, like are there random things that might happen to us, and do we just think it's luck or coincidence? Or is there more to it than that? Does something become objectively true only if the majority of people believe it to have a logical explanation? Christianity has the largest number of followers, followed by Islam, and most of the stories in the Bible and Qur'an sort of defy logical explanations. Not really meaning to only bring religion into it, the question is really for anything that we ''logically'' can't explain.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Everything has a logical explanation, but there is also such a thing as coincidence.

3 people like this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Everything? Hmmm, like what came before the big bang? ''We don't know,'' I guess is a logical explanation.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Logic and science will eventually tell us what happened before the big bang. If it can't then nothing else will.

8. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I wonder though, is life meant to be just how we see things logically? Is life more than just facts and science? Like our experience of it.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I think the Big Bang Theory is logical , only logical and nothing more . Logic may not dictate reality . Why
    worship logic ? Sometimes it is useful .

1 person likes this.
  10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Logic is very interesting, especially Nagarjuna's Buddhist logic.

When I was very young I met a girl and I instantly knew I would marry her. It was an illogical premonition.

And it came to pass.

3 people like this.
  11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think so, but I hope not.

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Logic can determine inconstancies . 12 year olds are experts . Why get older than that ?

13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I like that quote.

So do you feel that sometimes feelings can defy logic, then? It was a feeling you had back then, that you wanted to marry her. It then can go into other areas too, like experiences. If we experience a feeling about someone, and we don't even know them yet but there's just something about them...and then, it turns out that we are right, I think that would defy logic. But we were right, just the same, you know?

14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

It's logical to trust a crazy woman - when she is a spooky thing at a distance .

15. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

lol That would actually be...illogical. :D

16. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I don't know about everything being logical...I think there is a reason for everything.

I also think that in many circumstances we will never know the reason/s for different things happening...or rather, I think we will only rarely know the answer as to why a thing happened while in the flesh. Once we have crossed the Great Divide, I think things will be clear to us.

I agree with the poster that said "there is no such thing as coincidence."

1 person likes this.
  17. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LOL...no it won't as all our laws, rules and concepts concerning reality and the universe as we experience it began with that event, so anything before it is quite literally unknowable....to us...
    at least as far as we can perceive/know thus far.

1 person likes this.
  18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

We are forever constrained by our sensory apparatus which has evolved to provide the best chance for survival of the species, not to figure it all out. There are so many factors that limit what we can "know" and perceive that we as humans in our current level of evolutionary progress will be mystified by it, but I am confidant that every-fucking-thing follows a course of rules and protocols that govern the process' in this particular stage of universal evolution.
    Just because shit is outside of our ability to perceive it doesn't mean it is "magical" or "spiritual".

Hugs & Spit and scratcho like this.
  19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

an assumption steeped in Judaeo-Christian paradigm.
    toss those assumptions aside as well if you want to get closer to reality.
    They have a certain correct perspective, but it isn't the complete picture, just one representation of it.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

may I also point out that "logic" as used in this thread is yet another human construct that may have jack-shit to do with how stuff actually works.

i have always said one of the toughest things for humans to reconcile is the paradox, our brains simply are not wired for it as it has little to do with propagation of the species, yet paradox seems to be a fundamental precept of the universe in which we find ourselves and it is revealed at every level of existence/perception, from the physical to the emotional, to the "mind" to the spiritual.

gotta resolve or at least accept paradox to even begin to comprehend the logically illogical functioning of the cosmos. ;)

Hugs & Spit and Lynnbrown like this.