Do you think Tobacco Bans impedes the legalization / decriminalization of marijuana?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by ShaggyDoo, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ShaggyDoo

ShaggyDoo Member

My state, Washington, recently banned smoking tobacco in public places, restaraunts, cafe's, buildings and other public structures. You also cannot smoke within 25 feet of a window door. I was curious if people here thought that this hurts the effort to legalize/decrimnalize marijuana? Of course there are tons of other factors damaging this effort but do you think you can credit smoking ban's for some of the damage?

2. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

maybe so. people who are really anti-tobacco tend to be even more anti-marijuana. not all, but alot. all of these people on the TRUTH commercials, god only knows what they think about herb.

3. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Yes, banning anything like that is an infringment of liberty, if they infringe on one liberty, they will infringe on all liberty.

4. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

^^^I disagree. Cigarette smoke being banned in a public place (be it a restaurant or office buliding) is not an infringement of liberty. You should be entitled to smoke but not at a place I am going to if I don't want the smoke and smoking/nonsmoking sections really didn't do much. In colorado, this summer the smoking ban went into effect. Smoking is not allowed anywhere but a place (bar of smoke shop) where tobacco made up 5% of sales in the previous years. yet, we have recreational possession on the ballot this year and its too close to call if it'll pass.

5. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

The only thing I have to say about that is some believe in liberty, and some don't.

6. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

polluting the air in an enclosed space that has significant impact on my health and every other patron and worker is a liberty that ought, no MUST, be held higher than an individuals desire to light up a cigarette wherever they choose.

7. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

It's not your place to say. You don't own every restuarant in Colorado. Neither does your state government. The only person who can rightfully make that decision is the private owner of the facility, who has sole discretion of what customers he wants to cater to.

It's not a government issue. And I absolutely refuse, under any circumstances to live in a fascist police state, which the USA is quickly becoming because of fascist policies like this.

(The UK can do what ever it wants as far as I'm concerned, I don't live there and their nation was founded on different standards than ours.)

8. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Why is this just becoming an issue now in the 21st century after people have been smoking for the entire 200+ year history of our nation?

And I looked at your profile, Show, You call yourself Ultra Liberal. I don't know how you can take on a title like that when you advocate the destruction of centuries old liberties which the government has no business regulating in the first place.

Keep in mind, liberal means Liberty, not Fascism.

9. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Getting back to the point, if they can ban one plant, they can ban any plant. This new wave of anti-freedom legislation is definitely harming our efforts to legalize Cannabis.

10. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have no problem with tobacco smoking being banned in any establishment providing the owner of said establishment is deciding on the ban and not the government.

As woodsman says, anti-freedom legislation will harm efforts to legalize marijuana.

11. USA in decline

USA in decline Member

BINGO!

12. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

I don't think three posts was necessary but hell you're free to do what is necessary in your eyes. Why is this an issue now? that's a good question really, I think a lot of it has to do the realization on the part of society about the negative impacts of cigarette smoke. I'm not quite sure. What is a liberal? someone who promotes liberty? um no not exactly, the political ideology that upholds liberty as the highest value would be that of a libertarian on the exact opposite end of spectrum from a liberal, but glad to see you are such an informed citizen. liberal ideology advocates progressive reforms to the status quo to benefit society. once again, the right to smoke tobacco in an enclosed PUBLIC space is not a liberty that should be upheld over the health of a greater number of people. I don't own every, let alone one, restaurant in Colorado. however, my business helps them to stay in operation and provides the server with more money to live their life. There are still places a smoker can go to enjoy their food and tobacco, a place that has historical demonstrated a large smoking membership of patrons. I'm not sure how you can advocate anything over the health of society, especially the consumption of a product that heavily funds the right wing portion of government.
    The idea is to keep those who do not want to be exposed to smoke all the time a large variety of truly smoke free establishments and it hasn't harmed any business here.

They are not banning tobacco, buddy. They are simply saying where it can not be used. When marijuana becomes legalized I do not believe that you should be able to smoke whereever you want. But i guess you were all up in arms when federal law made it illegal to smoke on airplanes, weren't you?

13. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thank you for your support.

14. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

Last november, denver voters approved a tobacco ban in enclosed public places along with seating at ball parks, etc. Yet in that same election they legalized personal possession of a single ounce of marijuana to be smoke in personal dwellings. The evidence obviously shows against your flawed argument.

15. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Splitting hairs a bit, aren't we?

16. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

Not at all. There is a huge difference in banning a plant or substance and saying where it can be used.

17. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

They are saying you can't use it anywhere. They even have outdoor bans in some of the more backward parts of the country, (like the nearest town to were I live)

Like it or not, that's what you call a ban.

18. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

An outdoor ban is very different from what I've been advocating, and I'm honestly not informed enough on outdoor bans. However, there are some outdoor bans I think that are necessary. For example, a football stadium with 75,000+ people sitting very closely needs to keep people from smoking in the seat areas, which has already been the case. A crowded sidewalk in a downtown area, especially, does not need to pollute the other sidewalk users. Plus don't forget the cigarette butts people just scatter on the sidewalk. Most places of the country you can't consume alcohol walking along the street, why aren't you whining about that ban?

19. KParker730

KParker730 Member

Boulder has had a ban on smoking in public places for a long time now. It is so weird to go somewhere out of state now and to have people smoking next to me. I think that this should be a nation-wide thing, because my lungs are more important than ur nicotine! Weed is completely different, people don't smoke weed like they smoke cigarettes, because it makes you intoxicated. Also, theres a lot less risk of second-hand smoke because people arent going to be lighting up in a restaurant with little kids at the next table.

20. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

If you don't like it, you are free to go to a non-smoking facility. That is the nature of a free country.

But a bunch of people, behaving as a mob and saying this is the way it's going to be and you are going to obey us is not freedom, it's a state of fascism.