Do you think people are born gay?

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by TheSamantha, Dec 31, 2013.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Very true. I personally believe that about 40% of us are heterosexual, 20% of us are gay and the remaining 40% are to varying extents bisexual. With that group, social or religious beliefs can be the deciding factor. A few bisexual people enjoy the best of both worlds, while others will swap at some point, often after a failed marriage. ,

2. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

how about king james version? . In 1604, King James I of England authorized that a new translation of the Bible into English be started. It was finished in 1611. how much was actually translated verbatim and how much was added onto or reworded by james and those he had "translate" it to fit into his "moral code"? much was handed down over generations by rote. if you ever played the game telephone you will know things get dropped, added to or twisted around either unintentionally or intentionally. why else would Arabs from two thousand years ago talk like a skit from Monty Python? why else would jesus look like a white anglo saxon? blonde hair, fair skin and blue eyes?

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear an argument from an anti-gay atheist. There is no argument when religion is removed from the equation.

4. MussleCupple

MussleCupple Members

Absolutely.

I have a nephew who I knew was gay from a VERY young age. My brother and sister in law have been VERY accepting of his identity, and haven't pushed him one way or the other. His older brother chases girls non-stop, but he started asking his mother about his inclinations around age 11 or 12. He knew that young that he preferred boys.

It came as ZERO shock to the family...

MC

GLENGLEN likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lots people say that gays arent right because we can't breed. Lol. I'm happy to help. :p

magickman likes this.
  6. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

So you're Bi?

7. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

The game of telephone only applies if you don't repeat back what has been told to you. HAM radio operators repeat what they're told all the time. To make sure that they got the messege right, Bob will send a message to Bill saying "I need eggs from the store." Charlie who will relay that message to Bill will repeat the message back to Bob before he sends it out to Bill. That's how the copiers of the Bible did it. The Jews were and still are very particulate when copying the Bible.

8. Noserider

I think people die gay

9. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Really? I haven't seen any rules saying such.

10. Addicted2MEN

Addicted2MEN New Member

I know I was born gay I lived to look at cock when I was 4.

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Though there is no difinitive "gay" gene, the evidence points to both biological and social roots for being gay. I used to think it was purely a socially learned behavior. My sociology class changed my mind. We are constantly learning more and more about the biological origins of various things in human nature! :)

12. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I have to say, I never liked the 'born this way' argument. Not because I don't think it isn't technically true, but because it feels like giving ground.

If someone says 'being gay is a choice', there's a subtext to what they're saying which is '...and it's the wrong choice'

By replying with a 'born this way' argument, you're failing to address the subtext, and that feels tantamount to agreeing.

So rather than 'born this way' the real response to the argument that 'being gay is a choice', that fully addresses the unspoken subtext of the statement, is 'Why don't you go fuck yourself?'.

A gene only controls the expression of an enzyme, human behavior is more complex than that, and nothing as complex as sexuality is likely to be explained by the discovery of a single gene. The conservative christian right in America have decided to insist that they will only accept the legitimacy of homosexuality if a 'gay gene' is discovered because they know that one never will be. It's a cunning shift of the goalposts, erroneously implying that anything which can't be traced back to a single gene is 'not natural' and therefore 'a choice'. Completely absurd from a scientific standpoint, but it allows them to adopt an irrefutable position.

So while my 'Why don't you go fuck yourself?' response suggestion was slightly facetious, the point is that the Conservative Christian right have deliberately framed the argument in absurd terms that suit their agenda and we should refuse to engage with them on these terms.

We should not argue that this is a moral issue, or an issue about religion, or even a scientific one. We should argue on the level of basic human rights and respect.

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What difference does it make whether one is born gay or just decides that he/she like the the same sex? I don't know why it's even an issue in the vast panoply of human issues/behaviors? As long as people do not harm others, personally I don't give a shit. We're born--we die and are soon forgotten----so why allow others to frame ones personal habits through the prism of their own nosy lives throughout ones life? What a waste of time, worrying about that shit. I do understand the danger some face regarding the issue------

14. Noserider

Because if it's a choice, it's the "wrong" choice and we can be vilified and persecuted for it. It justifies the hatred toward us. If it turns out we're born this way, then the justification--as flimsy as it is--goes away, and people will be forced to confront their own bigotry.

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's the part I addressed---why in hell do people give a shit one way or the other/ (he asks rhetorically--knowing full well that many humans are driven by their teeny, little minds.) Some people just can't mind their own damn beeswax.

16. EccentricAquarius

EccentricAquarius Members

I'm open to the idea that some are but others aren't.

17. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

I was at a conference when this question more or less came up.
    " How does a person know that they are gay? Did someone or something turn them gay ? "
    The speaker said, how does a person know that they are left handed or right handed ? Did they see a movie that made them left handed ? Or did something turned them left handed? This also applies to homosexuality. Nothing turned them that way. From birth they are just that way .

The same as left hand people are born left handed. There is no gene that makes them left handed. And there is no gene that makes a person a homosexual. It is just the way that person is.

18. secretofchicago

secretofchicago Members

Has anyone ever seen hospital staff suddenly take a new born out of room before announcing sex not letting parents see or hold right away, giving excuses, not may but a few. More and more infants born with both sexes in world, but they hide this from parents and decide for them self on what sex they think is appropriate. Not fake news.
    God is man
    God is woman
    God is neither
    And God is both simultaneously

All human kind is to evolve physical, mentally and spiritually to be as God.

What was the steps from man to be man,
    Ape directly to man
    Or bear to ape to yetti to ? to man

Gays is not new it is as old as human kind. They only changed the horrible things to make gays the blame, when I was young
    Sodom and Gomorrah it was prostitution, corrupt king and leaders. Now aday that is normal and church accept all you politician do is sex with prostitute and corrupt. So now church and state need to hate something to make evil be so it is LGBTQ that still gets hit until everyone under 40 does something, but lazy Americans that rather watch in the 1980 s as hundred of gays left to die and buried in unmarked graves to be forgotten many in NY C. Family didn't care for they didn't want to be know as that family with gay kid, but as always Americans forget the past and ignore their surroundings as gays silently being killed again with the hate of current political laws. Rights of women, and rights of LGBTQ who they don't have a right to live.

19. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

They are born like that.

20. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Some people are born Left handed. Others are born Right handed. Is there a gene that controls that ?
    Should I feel that left handed people just want to be that way because it is fashionable ? And it is just something that they just want to do ?
    Maybe if a left handed person marries a right handed person they will change over to being right handed ?
    The comment that they learn to be that way is so far off base. One does not learn to be gay any more then one learns to be left handed. It is just something that is part of you from birth.