Do you have a yardstick in your house?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Mike5305, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Sam Dodd

Sam Dodd Member

Yup. Still comes in handy.

2. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I have a yard stick and a meter stick, neither comes in handy for measuring snow because they would just fall over, rarely enough to hold even a 12 inch ruler upright.
    They do come in handy for chasing BF around the house tho when he pisses me off, he hid them, hahahaha.
    But seriously, they were left here when the other owners sold and moved out with a whole shit load of other stuff or else I wouldn't even have them at all, a ruler is good enough for my needs and a tape measure. When they moved they went into a condo a third of the size of this place so they asked if they could leave stuff here, yup. We moved from a small house a third of the size of this place so it was all good for us. You won't believe the treasures they left right down to bottles of laundry soap and boxes of garbage bags. The radio he mentioned was an awesome find, a full pioneer stereo in a cabinet in the living room.
    They were an older couple retiring and she was newly diagnosed with MS so they didn't want to spend the time doing the yard sale thing, it was easier to ask us if we wanted it and when we did the "key walk through with my realtor on take over my realtor said he never seen anything like it, it was like a gold mine. My fave item was humongous jewelers safe they didn't want to pay to haul, hubbies fave was the stereo. Will I haul the safe if I move? Maybe but the measuring sticks will probably stay. Still can't get over the handcuffs recently found in my basement. o_O

3. Sam Dodd

Sam Dodd Member

You use them for the same reason my wife does.

4. Sallysmart

Ha ha, some guys need it o_O

I have so many strange things in this house just because they were left behind by the couple before us. Anyone got an old bread board?

I never heard of one but the lady said before they pulled out it was her mothers and if I was gonna chuck it she'd take it. I said I would find a proper use for it but I don't bake bread. It became my toaster puller outter, thingy.
    Under my microwave shelf, there is about a foot tall of wasted space on my counter top, about two foot wide by two foot or so deep, same size wide and deep as the board. My toaster and some other related stuff ended up on the board and it pulls out to use the toaster and slides back in after it cools down. Lots of space wisely used there and no bending over to find small stuff under there.
    They did come back in a year to see the roses he planted and were awesomely shocked to see we found use for nearly everything they left when invited inside. She had a happy smile on her face when she saw the board still in the kitchen. I was told then it was what they used on top of a table for height purposes (not as high as a counter top) and kept the table clean while they would knead their bread. To me it don't look like much but some peeps have spotted it and recognized it as an old bread board or kneading board. My mom even recognized it, she said her mom had one.
    Another funky thing they left was an old step stool, looks like a little box on the floor with a tall wooden handle attached, big enough for one foot reaches above the cupboards, my grandmother had one on the farm.

1 person likes this.
  5. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

I have a sewing tape measure and a digital caliper but no ruler or yardstick

1 person likes this.
  6. Sallysmart

My grandmother used to buy stuff and store it in it's original boxes in one bedroom she had as a collector kind of room. There was some dust but so much tight piling in there that there wasn't much room for lots of dirt. I have a straight edge from the 30s still in box with instructions on something looking like onion paper.
    Original sewing kits from back then in the boxes looking brand new. And lots of those old sewing rulers from drug stores in her town and Calgary back then all dated that she saved. Some sewing gauges for making button holes and some stuff I couldn't tell you what it's for. Some of the most interesting stuff is her very old costume jewelry that looks like she never wore it. When my mom passes I will probably get my grandma's wedding rings and other jewelry she had and a whole bunch of other stuff I have no idea what it was for.
    I did get a very cool 1930s Westinghouse heater she stored under a bed for many years still looking like it was never used, cloth cord, claw feet on it, and not a scratch on it. They liked their wood heat. I am starting to become a collector of rulers and weird old things and I didn't want to gain more stuff, how to become a road warrior in a motorhome when you got lots you won't want to get rid of.

7. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

there is actually a market for stuff like this - especially since they have the packages - you might have a start on a great retirement there

8. Sallysmart

I will have to look into it. My grandmother was kind of a pack rat but in a neat way. You would walk in that room and think it was all letters in boxes till you open them. She likes to call it a hope chest kind of thing. When royalty came to Canada she bought enough of the collector spoons so that each child and grand child would have one. Funny she did have enough and a few extras I believe. We all got one when we hit 19. Dunno what they'd be worth but they were never taken out of the plastic sleeves they were bought in.

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

When you want to measure on a painted wall (for hanging something), a wooden yardstick won't leave any marks.

Also, when you roll dice in a game and one of them rolls underneath a piece of furniture, a yardstick does a great job of getting it out!

10. Sallysmart

A yard stick is also good for knocking stuff down from the tops or cupboards but a word of caution, some things hurt when they hit you on the head coming down, I know,,,

Does anyone here have a reacher in their home. I have one because my grandmother did get one eventually and I used it at her place. It was awesome so I bought one. I have fetched stuff that fell behind my washing and drying machines. I have fetched stray grocery bags that fell behind my garbage and recycle bin system stopping the door from shutting and it's great for chasing a cat around, they get really wild when you try to grab their tails with it.

11. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I have a (ex)broom handle which is actually 3 foot 6 inches (marked) = (about 3' 9" in total) it's quite handy to guesstimate furniture space / garden space and loft flooring area
    = Easy to store too :)

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

I got me a sheet metals rule or a circumference ruler.. you got one those?

13. Sallysmart

Nope. But if I was into sheet metal I would. I rulers, or gauges for mapping as a pilot, I took flying lessons years ago and still have all my books and tools.

14. Sam Dodd

Sam Dodd Member

:iagree:

Good ones.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

Im curious if clothing makers use the same type rule.

16. Sallysmart

I don't know, possibly, I don't even know how much of this stuff works, never sewed a thing in my life. But I do have a very old sewing machine with a treadle somewhere around here, some day I might fire it up to see if it will sew something, like my finger, hahaha.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

my aunt got me a sewing machine for my birthday a few years ago. And I havent used it once. I wanted it badly some years before that but lost interest..

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

For sewing, I've never used anything but an ordinary flexible fabric tape measure. That's the way my mother taught me to do it.

19. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

No.
    I have 2x 10m tape measures
    1x 30m tape measure
    4x 600mm steel rules
    1x collapsible 600mm steel rule.
    1x 1000mm steel rule.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

yeah, but since arms and legs flared., how is that measured and stuff. :willy_nilly:

btw my circumference rule is fabric , its for measuring duct work..