did you know Paul Foster?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by borisspider7, Dec 2, 2012.

1. borisspider7

borisspider7 Guest

[​IMG]

he was a good friend of mine. he asked me to edit a book on existentialism for him but it was way beyond my understanding. i did read his other book that kesey published - checked it out from the CU library on a loan to my local library. brilliant mind and tender heart. i want to hear from anyone else who knew him in SF back in the days when he said, "we eat hippies for breakfast".

2. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Man-not sure if this is your friend-Found this on Wikipedia-

RIP-

Paul Foster (1934 – June 23, 2003) was a Merry Prankster best known for illustrating the book Ken Kesey's Garage Sale.
    He is the author of The Answer Is Always Yes and he was also a founding member of Wavy Gravy's Hog Farm commune.
    He died of heart failure at home in northern California in 2003.[1

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is that Jerry Garcia coming up behind him?

4. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Sort of looks like him. RIP

5. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I knew a Paul Foster , that lived in Goodyear AZ . He would be long gone by now , and did not look like the guy in your pic. desert rat

6. WE1

WE1 Member

That most certainly is Jerry Garcia, circa mid August 1969, at Woodstock..And Paul is tripping off a tape measure.

7. sj burns

sj burns Members

I meet Paul at a Foursquare church meeting at a WMCA in Cupertino, Ca around 1990. It was a "start-up" pastored by a young man named Brent who relocated to the Portland area soon after. Paul was the lone "Elder" of this church and he was known for letting loose with a belly-laugh at least once during the congregational singing/prayer time. In conversation, he made it clear that any discussion of his Hog Farm days was unwelcome though he was always very available to talk with others about their life and any help he might be able to give. We only stayed with this church for a year and later sadden to hear of Paul's car accident and then his passing from heart failure in 2003. Being around Paul Foster, reading the "Kool-ade Acid Test" and watching the Beatles Anthology series inspired me to research John Lennon's conflicts with Christianity/religion. My findings were documented in a paper entitled, "Imagined, 1999... Some thoughts on two famous liberals and culture war".

8. jfast94

jfast94 Members

Pretty cool picture all around. I know tat didn't contribute anything, but it is a great picture.

9. U4ria

U4ria Members

Paul Foster not ever a "desert rat". I made that checkered jump suit for Paul and was also at Woodstock. Photo of our wedding, taken by Lisa Law in Time magazine about the 60's. He is also wearing that suit in Lisa's much published photo of us on the Road Hog, July 1968. Check her book, "Flashing on the 60's". I was still in high school when I met Paul living in a tree house at Ken Kesey's house in La Honda. Yes, Paul broke on through to the other side in 2003. Too many stories to tell. Our daughter Euphoria Marie is putting together an art show and documentary in Tacoma, hopefully to show this summer. We are framing up some of his original artworks and the show will also include many of Euphoria's generation artists showing their work inspired by the cultural changes set in motion 50 years ago.