Church clothes are selfish vanity

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 29, 2018.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Why do yup have to be dressed up for church? It's so other people see you have the money to dress up. In the old days you probably did not see your neighbors unless it's Sunday. You don't want them to gossip and when you do see them they MUST know life is good for you. I've never met a Christian whose id not basically say this. There is a certain look they want so they the community will like them. The cloths are a symbol you have money elsewhere. It's a pissing contest. All the mothers can say "hey I have my shit together look at my kids".

If god can see you everywhere he sees you without that tie. The whole thing seems anti-Christian to me. You are focusing on money and social standing that is all. You could give that money you spent a suit to the poor but you selfishly keep it for you. I know not all Christians are "selfish" per say in this way but looking nice is not cheap.

SpacemanSpiff and Deidre like this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Wow...saw the thread title and thought for sure this was a thefutureawaits thread.

You've surprised me, Anakin

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Church has everything I hate: uncomfortable clothes, horrible music, boring people, just one book they keep reading over and over, uncomfortable wooden benches to sit on, etc. I hated it.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Have Vivid Memories Of My Mothers Face When She Walked Into Church And Saw Me Sitting

There In Cut Off Denim Jeans, Denim Jacket And Red Converse High Tops....LOL....I Explained That I Was Not

There For A Fashion Parade.....But To Worship.....She Didn't Calm Down One Bit....LOL.....:laughing:

Cheers Glen.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't see the big deal about dressing up for church. I dress up anywhere I go. It's polite; it's good manners.

6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Firstly, they are 'clothes' or clothing, not cloths.

When I saw your mis-spelled title I thought perhaps it was something like a holy relic LOL! Does one wipe one's butt with it???

Anyway, talk about a non-issue. Last time I attended church it was filled with folks in sweat pants, t-shirts and the general idea was worship, not showing off one's status or wealth. If there are people around still doing that it's their choice... hardly something to put someone down for.

The better questions would be about the church itself and what it does for the community, rather than what one wears to the meetings.

Total Darkness likes this.
  7. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

People will make any little thing into a negative cause now a days then try to justify it with logic.

8. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

It is more out of respect for God. Imagine God inviting you to a spiritual banquet and you show up, disheveled and late. disrespect

DeNuttySquirrel likes this.
  9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

God doesn't care.

God is omnipotent.

She sees you naked.

Deidre likes this.
  10. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

That's religion. I don't think anyone needs religion in order to believe what he/she believes. No matter what they believe. Religion sort of creates this weird competition, hence the clothing competition that often goes on in churches. lol

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

May as well have a whinge for the sake of having a whinge, sounds like it.

12. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

(I believe) God invites everyone, not just those who can afford to dress up.

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

FIXED.......:wink:

Cheers Glen.

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

But I loved the organ music. When the organist was on holiday, I felt really let down.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm not religious but I've always liked the tradition of dressing up for church. I grew up going to church and its not like my parents broke the bank buying our clothes. There is no reason for a dress to cost more than a pair of jeans you would wear any other day. I know suits can be pricey but 1) every guy should own one suit anyways and 2) i've never seen people wear suits to church, I think khakis and a button down shirt are acceptable at most churches now

I like going to the grocery store on Sunday and seeing the church ladies trickling in after church...I mean, I hate getting stuck in the store in the middle of the church crowd lol but I like seeing everyone dressed up. I think its nice

16. wilsjane

In the past, working people wore scruffy clothing 6 days a week. I think 'putting on your Sunday best', went well beyond just going to church and helped families with a sense of pride and self worth.
    Needless to say, some people do things for all the wrong reasons and this was no exception.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So you don't feel threatened then? Lol.
    Because there's many threatened people here, that a family might make a lil bit more money than them lol.

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

brainwashed folks anyways..who cares what theyre wearing

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You don't actually have to be brainwashed to believe in a higher being, that's just nonsense. That'll be one of the dumbest things I read all day, along with most of the others posts in this thread.

Flashdown and Lynnbrown like this.
  20. wilsjane

You can keep your space suit on. LOL.
    Some people may even see you as a modern manifestation of god and fall onto their knees and worship you.