Caring For Abandoned and Feral Cats

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Oct 20, 2012.

1. ThePepsiSyndrome

ThePepsiSyndrome Member

[​IMG]

2. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

LARGE! cat free to good home, eats anything, loves children...call soon please....

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

The closest I have come to taking care of an abandoned cat is the one I adopted from the animal shelter.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My rescues and ferals let the possums eat out of their bowl and hang around...they really are sweet-natured cats.

5. Ranger

Coons will as a general rule kill cats however I had a coatimundi (first cuz to a coon) that got along with my cats. One night in San Francisco I met a coon with a four cat escourt. The cats gave him plenty of space, but stayed with him cause he could open the garbage cans.

6. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

My cat Mahitabel started out as a feral cat. I managed to tame her and she lived for 25 years. I have taken in a few feral cats. If you catch them in live traps and find a vet that will fix them and give them their shots they will have a better chance of making it and you will not get over run by feral cats. Where I live there is a vet that fixes them for free but not everywhere has vets like that. When feral kittens reach the 8 weeks old they can be caught and tamed. One of the cats we have now was living in a car when my son caught him as a kitten. Now he is 4 years old and a total house cat.

7. ThePepsiSyndrome

ThePepsiSyndrome Member

Here's Kitty Kay. She was in a shelter since April of last year. Good thing it is a no kill shelter or she would have been gone a long time ago.

[​IMG]

8. Aerianne

9. Aerianne

10. Aerianne

I'm worried about "Baby Kitty" today.

She has been laying around like she didn't feel good. Yesterday when she was laying in the leaves, I walked up on her and gently woke her by speaking to her. She didn't feel like scampering away so I held out my hand and she actually sniffed my fingers, twice. When she finally got up to move away, she was moving slowly so I reached out and brushed the tip of her tail. I noticed she wasn't walking right. One of her back legs or feet seemed to be bothering her.

This morning, I've been out looking for her and calling her, several times and I haven't seen her. She usually comes to eat when I take the food out and she's usually laying around in the sun somewhere.

I'm really worried that she might be too sick to get up from wherever she slept last night.

[​IMG]

11. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

in some neighborhoods, people look down upon people feeding the feral kitties. because then the skinny, mangy looking kitties are festering in the vicinity of where the food is being supplied to them, and they have more feral kitties, and it's not very good for the neighborhood, i've heard. i suppose if the feral kitties were fixed, that would solve the problem of more and more feral kitties being born.

but i personally believe you should feed something if it is hungry, and you have the means to do so. as long as you are okay with the consequences of feeding these cats.

12. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

how sad ): i hope you find her!

13. Ranger

If they're not fed they won't thrive but the mice and rats will. Can you spell black plague?

I had a setter, Nayarit who went out and got herself a pair of feral day old kittens. Brought them in carrying them carefully in that soft mouth setters are so famous for and she and her brother Aruba raised them.....

14. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

this story may make you sad but it also touched my heart:
    [​IMG]

15. Aerianne

Thank you, babyjay. She's always sat a "safe" distance away from me and meowed back to me as I talked to her. Yesterday she'd get a little closer and did lots of soft meowing. She wants so badly to come to me like the other kitties do, but she's got that feral fear of humans too.

I'm going back out to call her some more.

16. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

but... wouldn't they just eat the mice and rats?
    although, in chicago we have some seriously large rats D:
    and some skinny kitties that probably wouldn't be much of a fight.

i really hope you find her! good luck! maybe feed that one some wet food, even? actually, i've heard that might make certain kitties sick if they aren't used to such rich food, by comparison.

17. Aerianne

I'll do most anything for these cats. I've got one old man cat who's really thin and I make him a scrambled egg every day.

18. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

you are so sweet! :D you're amazing, how you go out of your way to help these kitties. your kindness is appreciated by them, and by me!

19. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

I will definitely become a crazy cat lady. I absolutely love cats, and would do anything for them. I have a 13 year old fat cat that I have had since I was in middle school. She is the love of my life haha.. she's the best pet I've ever had. I've taken care of homeless cats since I was young. They would come around the house, and I would feed and water them. My mom would get mad, because when you feed them once, they'll never leave! Hahah

I found a very sick little kitten in an alley a couple years back. I took her to my apartment and cared for her. I gave her a bath and she was all skin and bones. I knew she would probably die soon, so I kept her and made her comfortable. Every night she would crawl up by my shoulder and just sleep by my head and purr. A couple of days later, I woke up to her coughing and laying on the ground. I picked her up and was trying to help her, but she ended up dying in my arms. I was so upset. I don't think I stopped crying for 3 days. It was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed in my life.

20. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member