Burning Man is "Just a bunch of old, naked hippies"?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Deleted member 328595, Sep 15, 2023.

1. I've been to 4 of the Burning Man festivals. 1999, 2001, 2003 and 2004. Sure, some were wearing tie dyed clothes, some were wearing nothing at all. Some may identify as Hippies but I don't think there were many. Burning Man attracted all ages but at least 75% of the people I saw during those 4 years had an average age of 30. I was 43 in 1999.

Whenever I mention Burning Man to someone who has never been there, there are always negative comments from those people. I think that the one thing that BM had with the 1960's Hippie movement was the attitude of its members. For 7 days every year, Black Rock City appears out of the desert. Burners of the past return, new Burners are born. We all shared an attitude, a concept, an alternative way of looking at ourselves and our environment. We cast out commerciality, we were self-sustaining. We were artists and musicians and creators of dreamscapes known as Theme Camps. We had no Vietnam War to inspire us to be rebels against society... we had imaginations and creativity.

I am not saying that being an "old, naked Hippy" is a bad thing. Being a Naturist, I am naked whenever I can safely do so. Many might consider someone age 67 old. I don't. So, is Burning Man "Just a bunch of old, naked hippies"? You decide.