Black History Month

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by Fawkes, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

I was reading an article in the limey paper The Guardian where they had interviewed Morgan Freeman. Morgie said that he doesn't like Black History Month. He apparantly said that the best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. He said Black History is American History. There is no Japanese History Month. Is there a Hispanic History Month? I'm not sure. There definately is no White History Month. So Morgie was saying that if we just forget about and just all be Americans together and stop seperating people then we will be better off.

What do you think?

That being said, we still need to have kids study this stuff in school so they never forget how bad it was. They need to learn about Rosa Parks and slavery and segregation and the rest so that we never have that kind of policy ever again.

Something else Morgie said in the interview is that he doesn't use Coke or other hards drugs, but he will never give up pot. Morgie is awesome.

2. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Oh, yeah, the first amendment gives you the right to select #4, but you will be judged by a power greater than the law if you believe this.

I don't know what that power is, nobody does. But we will all be judged about our actions and beliefs.

3. greenryder

greenryder Member

I chose "Good for them, but I don't really care".

If people choose to celebrate something that's their business. However I personally don't care or follow anything to do with it.

4. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

That is the way I used to feel greenryder. They have the right to do whatever. But I think Freeman is correct in saying we shouldn't make a big deal about it. Just stop talking about it.

Where is Smogtario. My parents live in Miami. CarCentric place also. Completely sucks.

5. greenryder

greenryder Member

I'm slightly mixed on that. I do lean towards the "stop talking about it", however doesn't really bother me. I don't pay any attention to it, so that's probably why I don't really care.

Smogtario= Ontario (Canada).

6. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Yeah, yeah, I know where Ontario is. But I thought Toronto was a relatively clean city to have so many people. I didn't know you had smog.

7. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

i agree with freeman, but i voted parade just because it sounded funny.

8. waukegan

waukegan Member

i'm always up for some history.i usually learn something new.i don't necessarily think it should be black history but it's o.k....i was just thinking back to 1976 and the bicentennial minutes they had on t.v.

9. wobblies

wobblies Member

The founder of Negro History Week (as it was originally called) had expressed that he hoped for a time when there wouldn't be a need for it, as kids would be learning integrated history to begin with.

I agree with his and Mr. Freeman's sentiments.

10. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I put down number 2.But yeah Freeman is basically right. A sidenote: where I reside you rarely if ever here about black history month.

11. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

I just saw a south park episode that relates to this. The one where everyone hates gingers (Not really known in America, but the limeys call redheaded freckled faced people ginger.) Especially Cartman, because he is a racist. Who really cares what another person looks like. I have blue eyes. Imagine if I were the boss of a company and I wouldn't hire someone that has brown eyes. What?

12. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

inadequate education is always a problem to be addressed. for the shift in mindset, i agree that starting it was very important. but keeping it around forever as a seperate rah rah fest seems to be causing more trouble than curing. the world seems way more racist to me now than when i was young.

13. Roadtrippin

Roadtrippin Member

Yeah, we've got a black president now. It's time to get over it, drop it and move on. It's official, anyone can be anything they put their mind to in America. True Story!

Rock on Morgan Freeman.

14. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i suppose my feeling on it is that if you can't change something don't bother dwelling on it. history can't be changed. so walk forward and make the changes and let go of the feelings of the past.

15. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

It's such an old story. While there is still work to be done, I don't ever really think about Black History Month until someone asks me about it or I hear about it on TV or whatever. It's definitely serving a purpose, I just think that maybe we should focus on something else for a whole month.

16. Elijah

Elijah Member

of course you can when you have countless rich friends and donors. not to mention affirmative action to ride on towards power. why not just have amercian history month? seeing as how africans have been in the americas since atleast the time of columbus. it wouldn't be exclusionary towards anyone to have an american history month. i think the new guy is about as legitimate of a president as the last one we had.

17. Elijah

Elijah Member

a self serving pourpose of course.

18. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

I lived through the worst (and maybe the most influential) parts of black history
    The riots of the 60,s - the marches for civil rights. etc.. etc..

The advancement for people of color came slowly and were costly> lets hope now in the 21th century we all learned something

19. Elijah

Elijah Member

if we aren't giving a history month to other types of people in america. why should blacks, let alone anyone else get one? i don't see why they don';t have american indian history month, or italians american history month. why not chinese american history month or irish american history month? last time i checked lots of chinese and irish people built the railroads. last time i checked that was great achievement and a step towards progress. to give one group of people a history month and nobody else makes it seem like their history is more important than anyone else's is.

to me it could imply some sort of supremacist mindset on behalf of those who push for it. because black history oftentimes is a way to spread black separatists or supremacist beliefs as it often times is on college and university campuses. black historyalso sometimes is used to advance an agenda to where many civilizations that weren't black to begin with all of a sudden have nothing but blackness attributed to them. such as the ancient egyptians. these same types even push the idea that beethoven was a black man.

20. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I basically agree.It's time to get rid of black history month.Also why is there a whole MONTH devoted to black history when people of other backgrounds do not even have 1 day.It's rediculous.So by having a black history month in a way it just amounts to discriminating against everyone else.--