best homemade salad dressing... and healthy too!

Discussion in 'Salads' started by cerridwen, Oct 15, 2006.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I grew up in a semi-Italian family, where this recipe partially comes from... and as much as I love creamy salad dressing (esp ceasar!) this is truly my favourite dressing of all time. I make it in 1 litre batches out of convenience for when I need it.

Materials needed:
    1 bottle, measuring 1 litre or so. If you've a 2 litre bottle, then obviously double the recipe
    garlic
    basil
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    red wine or balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice (your preferance)

Pour in 2 cups (1/2 litre) lemon juice or vinegar. Toss in about 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil, 3-5 cloves crushed garlic, a bit of salt and pepper, and top up rest of bottle with olive oil. Refrigerate.

When ready to add to your salad, give it a bit of a shake :)

2. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Capers in vinegar give a special tanginess to the sauce.If you use the salted ones, rinse them under cold water. 2 celery stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks, 5 or 6 sprigs Italian parsley, 1 carrot, cut into chunks, 1 garlic clove, 2 scallions, trimmed but with some of the green parts left on,chopped, 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil, Freshly milled pepper to taste, Juice of half a lemon, 2 Tbsp capers,drained. Place all the ingredients except the capers in the bowl of a food processor. Chop finely and stir in the capers.