bartending

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by DejaVoo, Oct 5, 2005.

1. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

does anyone know anything about becoming a bartender? like i heard they have those classes or something. you can be 18, right? im sure you can.
    has anyone done it? how much money do you make? THANKS!

2. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

Yay I'm planning on becoming a bartender once I turn 18 too. I think the classes are two weeks and at the end there is a test where they tell you to make a bunch of different drinks and you are timed.

You should make lots in tips cuz you're a very pretty girl.

3. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

yea, you could take a class at a bartending school.
    this is what one of the schools in boston says:

40 hour bartending school course
    Bartending School hours:
    Day classes: 9:00- 5:00 - Monday through Friday - for 1 week
    Evening classes: 6:00-10:15 - Monday through Thursday - for 2 weeks
    Saturday classes: 9:00- 5:00 - for 5 weeks
    Our flexible schedule allows our students to attend bartending school classes at their convienance.
    o Flexible Schedule to meet your needs
    o Alcohol Awareness training - "TIPS" or "BAR CODE"
    o Pub atmosphere - Our training is in a simulated real bar.
    o Boston Bartender School - the largest and oldest chain of bar training schools in New England.
    o Lifetime Placement Assistance and free refresher courses at 10 Boston Bartending Schools located throughout New England
    o National Placement Assistance in over 110 affiliates across the nation and in Canada.

i was thinking of taking that course this summer, but didn't have the time. the course might be different where you live.

Money wise, i don't know about. the bar my parents frequent every week, has a bartender who is one of the top bartenders at the bar and he works at 3 different bars during the week to make enough money. he also lives in a pricey section of boston, so...

4. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

How old you have to be depends on your state.

Pretty girls have an advantage for tips, but you also need to get the drinks right and provide fast and friendly service. Some bars attract better tippers than others. College students have a reputation for being lousy tippers, for example.

You also need to be able to deal with a wide variety of people. Some of them will be rowdy and not all of them will be pleasant.

5. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Really? Huh. I thought it was federal law, connected with fed regulations on drinking age... Not that I've ever researched it, I just assumed...

In Missouri, you have to be 18 to SERVE alcohol, but 21 to OPEN or POUR alcohol... So an 18 year old could work as a coctail waitress, but not as a bartender.

6. audreyanne

audreyanne Member

Hey Dejavu,
    No,really,"dejavu" !Hi, I was a bartender for fourteen years,and I never went to bartending school.I was taught by one of the best in the area at the time,here in northern California.I basically worked for tips at first,and she taught me the basics.Actually,I think the making the drinks part is the easy part,it's dealing with the various asundry people that is the true challenge.After my "training",I did make really good money,Since then Ca. has made it illegal to smoke in the bar,and that seemed to really slow the business.I mean why do you go to the bar besides to drink,to smoke and to cuss....well there are a lot of other reasons as well,but you get my drift.But,depending on which state you live in,what kind of bar you work in,the "rules" vary.The DUI laws in Ca. are pretty stiff too,and that discourages alot of folks from going out.The bartender is responsible for a whole lot of stuff,so the school trip may be the best.Also,if you work a dinner house,you need to know which drinks go in which glasses and probably lots of blender drinks.And no doubt they teach you the rules and regulations according to the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.That is regulated by the different states.You can make really good money in the business depending on the clientele who frequent the place.Just remember to smile alot,and watch you're bar,continually look up and down the bar and be aware of what is going on around you.In Ca.,you can get fined for serving someone who is "legally Intoxicated",and serving a minor is big trouble.Make sure to study real hard,and the best of luck to you.Keep in touch and let us know what you do.Namaste',audreyanne

7. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

thanks so much, i guess ill jus have 2 look into it. and thanks so much audrey for all yer help!!!!!!!!! where at in n.cali are u? i live by san jose!

8. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

In most states you have to be at least 19.

9. TheShow

TheShow Senior Member

my 2 cents...
    I worked as a bartender for the last year. The money can be good, nights can be shitty too. It IS the service industry. Age varies by state, some one posted missouri's regulations, and I know for a fact Wisconsin you can tend at 18. However, here in missouri I was hired to bartend at 19, illegal and highly dangerous for the bar, but just with some of the other illegal things if nobody knows no harm. Although my boss knew he just didn't care. Check with your state not hte institute on age. I've known bartending schools to lie to kids. Theuy train them, take their money, and then can't place them b/c of age.

I believe if you have half a mind, which you do, you need not attend the school. You can pick it all up yourself. Good Luck