Barefoot on Airplanes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by cattard, Sep 9, 2011.

1. enjoylifeasmuchasyou

enjoylifeasmuchasyou Member

Hey, I didn't know this one! Do you mean Robinson Crusoe or the great Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)? As far as I know, Caruso didn't sing barefoot except in the shower...

2. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

I still think wearing a comfortable pair of shoes would be nice if I was evacuating or running away from a plane that almost made a good landing.

3. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

And if it does down on water? You swim better barefoot.
    I trained my feet to support, where really were painful: an hot asphalt, small stones, dry tree branches, like a forest Indian. I already talked about it at your chapter nudity.
    I do not have any problem to escape, if I were still alive, from the scraps of any aeroplane barefoot.

Yours truly: Toivo

4. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

Congratulations. The average person will step on something and not be able to proceed with the same speed. That game is counted in seconds.
    Water...I believe we had one of those work.
    Landing on water or something worse than a very hard landing and it really doesn't matter. At least a nudist could kiss it goodbye.

5. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

No one is forced to stay barefoot. But I am an adult person and insist in judging, which risks I want to go and which not myself, without being forced by the others.
    Or do you think, you have to save the others, from what you consider wrong?
    - Would you prefer that smoker and alcoholists go to jail?
    - Would you control sex (even with a condom you sometimes might get AIDS)?
    - In Europe, I don't no anything about the USA, motor bikers have to go dressed like astonauts, because of law. Where's motor biker freedom left?
    I prefer to go by car. Can be without shirt and even barefoot (policemen cannot see through trim).

Note: Life itself is a non-healing lethal desease that always ends with death! If God decides: definitely, my son, you will come home right now, you will! The only thing to do ist to enjoy fully your physical body, while it continues staying alive.

I do not want to live within a "security dictatorship".

6. Madesh

Madesh Member

Toivo, man you're full on dude! Chill, I loose breath just reading your posts :p

Madesh

7. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

It just accumulated during years, without friends like your community.

8. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

Everyone, who does not have your opinion, dear friend, is a crap or talks crap?
    Problem seems to be yours: Toivo

9. Matje

Matje Member

Toivo, I don't think you are a crap. But if you believe that people are better off barefoot when escaping from a crashed plane you are making no sense.

10. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

And because one crash among a million flights I cannot stay there barefoot?
    According to this reazon you might forbit to go barefoot everywhere. You always will find some additional risk in doing so.

What type of life is that, where everything is forbidden for safety reasons?
    If you consider barefooting dangereous, why are you here in this forum?
    You may practice nudism, because there are some, who go naked but wearing shoes.

Life is just a nonhealing lethal disease...

11. Matje

Matje Member

What did I say? That going barefoot is dangerous? Pay attention pal.

Going barefoot is not dangerous.

Bad drivers are dangerous. And bears.

12. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

I embrace you!

13. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Since I haven't worn footwear for 16 years except a few times on the coldest days in winter, usually only for a very brief time, and also run six KM (part forest trail with roots/pineapples/etc, part pavement) three times a week, I'm confident that unless I step directly on a very sharp piece of debris, I am a lot faster barefoot than in any kind of footwear. The very rare times I do wear footwear in winter I am really clumsy, tripping over my own feet. As for injuries, even a 'field of debris' is not so covered you can't quickly find any place to step, and you'd want to watch your step in shoes too, 'cause apart from sole injuries, loose stuff can easily trip you up even if you're wearing shoes (ask any shod trail runner)! I do realise this doesn't apply to most people; many barefooters still wear footwear regularly for work, weather or other reasons so wouldn't be as clumsy in shoes, not to mention non-barefooters who are very tender on the feet (just like they can't get over me walking or running across gravelly roads, I am often amazed by people picking their way painfully on what looks to me like perfectly smooth tile or a sandy trail with only a few tiny pebbles and pine needles).

Also, *lots* of footwear people fly with is far, far less appropriate for quick evacuations than bare feet, I don't fly often but more often change trains at the train station serving the airport and I'm always amazed at the number of women wobbling around on heels while trying to handle a heavy suitcase! No way they could run on those, especially not off-road. Not to mention all the flipflops and other slip-ons that would likely become lost, leaving a tenderfoot who's used to having a sole underfoot without that protection. A 'sturdy, flat footwear' rule would make sense, but just banning 'barefoot' while all 'footwear' is fine, is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. Such a rule is for social appearances and perhaps butt-covering only, not for true safety.

14. texas.grok

texas.grok Member

I usually either wear sandals or Vibram Five Fingers when traveling. I did fly from Egypt to Houston one time barefoot on KLM. Had no problems at all, a couple of comments or questions (politely) from the flight attendents. But then again, the Dutch are a bit less anal about such things than Americans.

15. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

Go ahead. I do ask that you never take the same flight with me. If you are lucky enough to be on a plane that CAN be evacuated after an incident, those bare feet of yours better be prepared to keep pace with those in shoes behind you.

16. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Do you say the same thing to all the people traveling in heels, wedges, flipflops & slippers that will likely come off? Just curious...

17. Chuckles1230

Chuckles1230 Member

Have you ever read the emergency procedures card in airplanes? They specifically say that everyone will be required to remove ALL shoes before taking the zippy trip down the inflatable slide at each door.

Why they hassle you before the emergency when you will be required to remove your shoes anyway, is beyond me.

And I'll bet my barefoot hardened feet will carry me away from the scene faster than your shoe-softened bare feet, when they strip you of your precious shoes and we are both barefoot.

18. texas.grok

texas.grok Member

Best I remember the instructions are to remove high-heels because they can puncture the escape slides.

The issue here is that if the crash is survivable and you escape, there is a pretty good chance of flaming fuel on the ground. While you may be able to jump or run through it to get away, barefeet are not going to handle that situation like leather shoes would. I realize there is a small chance of the crash in the first place and running through the fire in flip-flops or man made material shoes would be not much better than barefoot but that is the logic.

But it still doesn't stop me from going barefoot on the planes.

19. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

I sound crabby now... Yeah. We are 99.999% safe. But when you gotta go, be ready.
    Wear good shoes and clothing that doesn't ignite easily.
    I am sure the flight attendants will make us take our shoes off before taking the slide. If we need to take it, it's get out as fast as possible. Some airline accountant must have written that rule. (don't damage the expensive slide)