Back to school

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Renovatu, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

Hey all,

After struggling for a whole year to find work (and failing) I am now considering going back to school to become a physical therapist assistant. All my research seems to suggest that the health care industry while not immune to the effects of economic downturn, is usually very resilient. But I'd like to hear from actual people. Are there any people on this forum who are currently trying to get into the medical field right now? If so, what is your specific profession (doctor, nurse, paramedic?) and how easy/difficult has it been for you to find work?

2. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

I personally am not studying for a medical profession but my Step Daughter became a nurse and she makes great money. She travels all over. My Daughter is in school studying to be a doctor.

There is always a need for physical therapists. I think you would be making a wise decision.

3. Renovatu

Renovatu Member

Thanks Isadoran. I'll keep what you said in mind. :)

4. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I have only been on the recipient end of PT. I had both of my hips replaced (at different times) and since I live alone and need to climb stairs to get into my place, I had to go to a rehab center for six weeks after each operation. That was followed by six weeks of PT at the hospital as an out patient. PT was critical to getting back on my feet after both operations.

My elderly Dad is currently getting home PT after getting a pacemaker and having some complications. Again this is necessary for him to get back to normal. I agree with Isadoran that this profession will always have a need not just for elderly people but also in the sports field.