Astrology questions and concepts megathread

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Enlil6, Nov 30, 2007.

1. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

cool thanks! now i can stop being skeptical about it :)

2. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

The problem that leads to skepticism is the fact that Astrology can't be proved accurate with the scientific method. It is an intuitive science or art or whatever you want to label it.

3. MyEulogy

MyEulogy Member

That was kind of out of context..but yes thank you, i'm sure we're all well aware of this.

4. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

I actually have to highly take exception to this.

Modern astrology is largely intuitive like you said.

Traditional astrology is largely NOT intuitive. It is based on specific techniques. I rarely use intuition when doing a reading. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I usually chalk it up to some misunderstanding on my part.

Tarot cards are a different story...

5. trekker

I see your point about tarot. I find the old school astrology doesn't seem to work though. I like the new astrology much better.

6. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

How does it not work? Not picking a fight, but I'd like to know why you think this.

7. trekker

I find that it does not acurately predict what a person is trying to be and how they will develop as well as modern astrology. I am sure it has relevance because it spawned modern astrology. There is much to be learned from the history of a subject whatever that subject may be. I respect your view and am open to learning. The old astrology just isn't as psychological oriented as modern, and I like the psychology aspect of astrology.

8. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

Actually that is the difference between the two.

The short answer is that modern astrology isn't equipped to make clear and hard predictions of what will happen.

Traditional astrology can't do psychology well.

In my mind, I don't have a use for psychological astrology, but I can see why some people like it.

My only issue is that many people, including astrologers, think that the only kind of astrology is psychological and don't realize it can do much much more. However I think that saying traditional astrology "doesn't work" is a very strong and incorrect statement which requires more details if that's what you think.

I don't take these kinds of arguments personally. I can still have a beer with you![​IMG]

9. trekker

Your absolutely right about classical astrology being valid. I just have no use for it. As for the beer, sounds great.

10. NaTaLyNa87

NaTaLyNa87 Member

11. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

beer always sounds great, doesn't it? :)

12. ThE_BluE_ShoE

ThE_BluE_ShoE Member

13. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

I'll have to let a modern astrologer take this question. Traditional doesn't handle patterns like this.

14. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

I've been studying Sun Signs, Rising Signs, and Moon Signs a lot lately... and I was really wondering:
    1. what is someone like who has all matching sun, rising, and moon signs?

15. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

i've got a question what is up with all the differnt signs I thought everyone had just one.

and if I was born on march 7th at 12:03 AM then what are mine?

16. taurusNate

taurusNate Member

When one says he's a Pisces, it means that the sun was in Pisces when he was born. In professional astrology, we look at the signs the rest of the planets are in too, for example the moon sign shows the emotional make up of the person, Mercury's sign shows the communication style and thinking patterns, etc... and that's not even talking about the aspects between the planets
    You have a Pisces Sun and Moon, an Aquarius Mercury, a Scorpio ascendant
    http://www.astrologyindepth.com/The_planets

17. neodude1212

wait how could I have the same sun and moon sign? how could they be at the same place at the same time?

oh and does the year, my name, and WHERE i was born have any bearing on anything?

18. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

To give the traditional perspective:

In modern astrology, the chart represents the person's personality, psyche, and psychology. Traditional astrology is predictive, so only the first house, which has the rising sign, shows the person's personality. The ret of the chart shows what the person will do and what will happen to them.

There are 12 houses in the chart, so you will generally have around 10 or 11 signs there. This is because sometimes a sign might be in-between the houses, but we still look at that, so in a way all signs are used, but only those signs on the cusp of a house will be said to rule that house.

The planets will also each have a sign. So on your chart your ascendant (1st house) has a sign, your father is represented by a sign, your mother, your siblings (if any), your job, friends, enemies, children, illness, and even death. We can also from your birth chart, find out about almost anything to do with you and people around you, so we can delineate your aunts and uncles, grandparents, your father's finances, your friend's secret enemies, and so on.

19. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

Once a month the Moon and Sun are in the same sign since the Moon moves through all the signs each month. Recently the Sun and Moon were conjunct (same degree and same sign) on April 6th.

20. neodude1212

so wat are my other houses/signs?