Any fans of Iron Butterfly?

Discussion in 'Psychedelic and Garage' started by zer0, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The reason I posted "My Mirage" is because it's on the reverse side of the album from "In A Gadda Da Vida"... It's also usually the unplayed side when looking at vinyl.

MeAgain likes this.
  2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ina Gadda Da Vida has a special place in my heart. Early 1968 I was on the floor of a strangers house in Honolulu in the dark. The girl that had brought me there had disappeared with the guy and this was the first time I had taken window pane acid. I G D V came on and life has never been the same in many ways. :)

MeAgain, zer0 and Tyrsonswood like this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

You have to remember there was no FM radio in 1967 and basically no stereo AM.

Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Doors, etc. album cuts could only be heard late at night on some upstart FM station that would play songs over 3 minutes long.

That's why there's a short version on Light My Fire, In A Gadda Da Vida, Crimson and Cover, etc. so they could get airplay on top forty AM stations during the day.
    You had to be pretty hard core Freak to listen to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc. They all sold albums by word of mouth not air time.

scratcho, zer0 and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. MeAgain

Did you ever here the story of what In A Gadda was about?

scratcho likes this.
  5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Originally the song was supposed to be In the Garden of Eden. When asked the name of the new song before it was recorded, a drunken band member slurred, "In a gadda da vida". And the rest is history.

scratcho and myndtyme like this.
  6. MeAgain

Yes.
    But back in, oh, 1970? 71? the troops returning from Vietnam had a complete breakdown of the song based on the music and "sound effects".
    The story goes it was about the descent into hell by someone in a casket. I remember listening to the song as they would describe all the events that were defined by the music.
    The descent of the coffin, the nails being pulled out of the lid, the person leaping from the casket as the devil chased him and and finally the "dead" person being pulled back up out of the grave.
    It was pretty cool.

myndtyme, zer0 and scratcho like this.
  7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hmm. Here are the lyrics

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    Iron Butterfly

In a gadda da vida, honey
    Don't you know that I love you
    In a gadda da vida, baby
    Don't you know that I'll always be true

Oh, won't you come with me
    And take my haaaaaaand
    Oh, won't you come with me
    And walk this laaaaaand
    Please take my haaaaand

That's repeated twice with a long instrumental in between. I don't pick up a descent into Hell in any of that, must be in the music.

MeAgain and myndtyme like this.
  8. zer0

zer0 Members

I haven’t picked it apart, but my guess is (if people hear it) it must be in the music. I remember seeing an interview with Yes when Jon Anderson said their 20 min epic “Gates of Delirium” is a musical version of Tolstoy’s War & Peace. At first I thought it was the most pretentious self-indulgent claim ever made by a rockstar; the song has just a handful of lyrics with generic, borderline-nonsensical war references. But the music definitely leads the listener on a dramatic journey beyond words. Either way it’s a cool song.

Or for that matter I remember a large, adamant group of people claiming if you play Dark Side of the Moon while watching The Wizard of Oz, it fits perfectly. Drugs not required but probably recommended lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    myndtyme likes this.
  9. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Never heard of 'em, but I do like Puccini's Madame Butterfly !!!

myndtyme likes this.
  10. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Listen to IB and let us know what you think :)

11. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Listening to Ball right now.......peace n live everyone.....while it lasts :(

zer0 and scratcho like this.
  12. zer0

zer0 Members

Ball is one of the tapes I ordered... still hasn't arrived but I've been listening to it on youtube in preparation. I LOVE THIS ALBUM. The bassist is insane, it's like he's the guy who taught John Paul Jones what to do in zeppelin lol

MeAgain likes this.
  13. Skop's

Skop's Very old member, but young

Fantastic band, they was heavy! :)