An open letter to young hippies

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Reverand JC, Oct 3, 2010.

1. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

There was plenty of crap music then, and there's plenty of crap music now. If you don't think music means anything, try looking harder.

There where terrorists and horrible wars, and US-backed coups we don't even normally think about as being a part of the time, and social problems and not only the blacks and gays getting targeted (as NG said), but also just hippies getting beat up, or shot, by the national guard, for no reason...

I dunno who's telling you this shit....

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

About the meaningful music thing think about this. This little ditty was a number one hit in 66:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WJJVSE_BE

The thing about music is that it only has as much meaning as you give it. For example to me 90% of the lyrics Kurt Cobain wrote were gibberish strung together with references to guns and disease. Yet to large portions of the population he was "Cryptic" and "Deep".

As a musician myself I hear music from all time periods that move me on a regular basis for different reasons. Even though I'm a"Jazz Fusion" guy (whatever that means) I love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmKCxEghuA

C/S,
    Rev J

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You got it all wrong, only the grateful dead or the beatles can have "meaning", maaan.

4. FlowersAreFriendly

FlowersAreFriendly Member

What shit? Stuff like that happens now and there are terrorists and wars still going on.... so many bad things happen and i dred to think what it will be like in more years to come. So don't act like i don't know what i'm talking about just because im young.

5. FlowersAreFriendly

FlowersAreFriendly Member

And whats with your devilish symbolic picture anyway?

6. windy

windy Member

Sorry but I think the sixties hippie thing is romanticised. Or maybe it is just my experience that makes me feel so. Ran away from hell to live on the streets in the sixties which became another kind of hell. And to this day cannot live with the memories. You young people think that life on the streets was so much better back then. It's no different now than it was back then. Always somebody waiting for some sweet naive young sucker to come along. Sorry, but it is the truth. Quit wishing on a star. Quit wasting your time. All this love and flowers crap is bullshit. Why are you people lying to these young folks. Tell them the truth. The streets are the streets. Whether now or 1967. Are ya livin' in the real world or what?????

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What has living on the streets to do with love and flowers? Who is lying exactly?? :confused: Nobody said living on the streets is much better now... And we are just sharing opinions.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

It's the signature pic of a member who passed away recently, Cosmoknot.
    It's Roor's way of a memorializing a friend no longer with us.

9. thismoment

thismoment Member

When I was a kid I wished I had a twin, like a doppelganger or something (and I could control it) and it would be the one to go to school and church and shit while I wasn't going to school, etc.

For all the good it did me.

10. murritim

murritim Banned

I wish y'all old hippies join the new hippie movement. Psytrance trance dance experience! I wish i wasn't from 60's because back in the day you guys didn't have this this electronic music and legends are always there for us to listen.

Peace And Love

Lots of respect to you all words can't express how does it feel to be on the same platform with you. Sharing these beauty. Hippies are hippies!! no matter what age where its amazing to have such brothers and sisters. For the love of the 10s and 20s!!! its your era too unless this heart stop beating in this reality of time. Thank you for your letter, I will keep it in my heart.

11. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Give every pair of shoes you own to the person who said that.
    No guarantees, but this sudden influx of ownership might force him or her to grow in wisdom.
    1. Asking him(her)self, "The person I thought was all into her possessions is not as attached to them as I thought.
    2. Do all these shoes suddenly prevent me (the critic) from being a hippie?
    3. Maybe the critic will eventually focus more on finding feet that have no shoes (at least in winter) and less on hippies that have "too many".

12. |SunDriedLily|

|SunDriedLily| Member

I used to say that. But, I'm actually glad that I live in this time. We're coming onto something big.
    People are realizing how much of their life is being taken away from them. We're slowly losing rights, (whatever that means) and we're being controlled by tiny plastic toys that we can play with all day long. While the big guys slowly take away everything that's important to us. Other than our toys, that is.
    We're on the brink of something big. A lot of people are waking up to the injustice that is right in front of them. There's a revolution happening, and I'm glad I'll be a part of it.

13. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

I agree with your post and I think I know why those kids say that.

These kids probably live in a backwoods redneck town where the closest thing to acid they can get is to get ripped off and shot trying to buy shitty weed and meth. Then they look at old pictures and watch movies like Taking Woodstock and instead of seeing a really turbulent and not so great time they see a paradise where everyone was wearing Tie-Dye, the Dead were still alive, and acid (or any drug) was $6 a hit, never cut with anything, and everywhere. They might know about those bad events but they choose to turn the other cheek whenever they hear about them.

14. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

This thread is like the gift that keeps on giving. Usually it's me that bumps it when another "What were the 60's like?" thread pops up.

C/S,
    Rev J

15. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

I don't want to live in the 60 but I would fucking love to be in woodstock that is all.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Go to the right festivals and you can get an equally awesome experience.

17. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

18. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

cool thanks this year I will go to the international reggae festival do you think that festival will give me some ideas how woodstock felled?

19. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Would you consider going to Sommerfesten? It is northern Norway, not the largest festival, but maybe the coolest (no pun intended).
    The link points to some other festivals as well, some closer to where you live.

But since you will be in Northern Norway for Sommerfesten, you might as well stay for the Døgnvill festival, the biggest music festival in Northern Norway. It is in the town of Tromsø.

20. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

I think there is a difference between wanting to be in the 60's and wanting to bring the 60's to now. When I say that I refer to what made the 60's a time of change, a revolution of thought. Today many people are just following what has been laid out for them. You are right Rev we do need to become active in the now, man.
    Peace, Love, and Understanding
    IH