An open letter to young hippies

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Reverand JC, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Vongaelly

Vongaelly Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Very well said man. Loved it. When I was younger (younger than I am now that is) I used to wish I was born in the late 40's/Early 50's so I could have been around for the hippie movement. But I got older and obviously smarter about it all. I see people now (some older and some younger than myself) saying they wish they were around back then, I suppose in time they will realize like I did that they should not wish for the past, but the future and live for now etc. I usually say something subtle to them about they should live in the now, as sort of a hopeful push toward it haha

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I just wanted to follow up on the Leary thing. Take this as my cynicism if you will but giving people drugs and having them chant slogans (either meaningful or meaningless) is one of the oldest forms of mind control known to man. This is how Cults get their followers not to question "The Leader".

If you look at history there have been some very effective uses of this combination or parts of it. Hitler for one. Advertizing is another. Conspiracy theories. You get someone stoned and have them watch a 5 hour documentary about the Freemasons, UN, Trilateral Commission, and Shadow Governments while chanting New World Order until it means nothing they get the same glazed look in their eye that a cult member has. If you start to disagree with them they start telling you that you are the one who has been brainwashed.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Truth.

4. AngelPeacenlove

AngelPeacenlove Member

I apologize for calling you a sell out. You are more of a hippie than I am.

5. ScottErthSnd

ScottErthSnd Member

Spot on rev :)

6. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

I remember being called a hippie in 1970 & a baby killer in 1969- - Call me a hippie anyday

7. Reverand JC

Apology accepted.

I wasn't trying to do any kind of aggressive "hippier than thou" thing. I just wanted you to know a little more about who I am before rushing to judgement.

C/S,
    Rev J

8. Sunflower Sky

Sunflower Sky Member

I just find this to be one of the best things I've ever read. No idea why, but I love it :2thumbsup:

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Is your age right?

Wouldn't it make you like 8 in '69?

And you mean to say you where in vietnam?

10. Jondalar

Jondalar Banned

Bloody hell.....................how good is your maths fella? It would have made him 18.................still underage by Aussie standards. I was in '67 callup and I was born in '48.
    :confused:

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

not good, I freely admit this.

And nevermind, I was thinking we where a decade into the future....

12. Reverand JC

I agree Hippie is better than Baby Killer.

But as my old man always said, "I don't care what you call me. As long as you don't call me late for dinner."

C/S,
    Rev J

13. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

14. AngelPeacenlove

AngelPeacenlove Member

hippies unite on hip forums !

15. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

I don't know why you want to challenge me from time to time- - I think your a bright guy but here,s the deal >> -I was born in July of 1950- called up on the last draft they had - -they had others but none were sent to a combat zone-
    On December 1, 1969, the Selective Service System of the United States conducted two lotteries to determine the order of call to military service in the Vietnam War for men born from 1944 to 1950.

To tell ya the truth - I never could figure why someone would lie about it-

I did my 13 months and was out - physically unscathed- mentally & spiritually, well still working on that 43 yrs later
    regards,
    jj

RooRshack-
    - - I also think a decade into the future- - wondering if Ill make it that far-
    peace
    jj

16. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Well, let's do the math...
    2013 - 1969 = 44
    Junglejack is 62 according to his profile age.
    62 - 44 = 18 the draft age in 1969.

17. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Ehh you know, a toke a day keeps the doctor away....

18. FlowersAreFriendly

FlowersAreFriendly Member

I still would of liked to have been a teen in the late 50's/60's though. I guess it's just how you're brought up because even my dad (he's 60) said that if he could go back to any decade he would choose the 60's.
    For a start the music was a lot better and actually meant something. You didnt have things like Facebook, Twitter, so you'd actually appriciate things a lot more.
    Gang crime wasn't like it is now - yobs and hooligans and what not
    But of course the 60's has the sad times like JFK and Martin Luther King Jr being shot, people that were looked up to as inspiratons. But today we are faced with awful things in our decade ( 911, terrorists, on going wars, countries where women still have no rights at all). So in a way, there is just as much bad in the world that happens now than the 60's. I am fascinated by the hippie movement back then and i wish i was a part of it then, i just think it was a better time rather than the society we live in now.

☮♡ Peace&Love

19. Sunflower Sky

Sunflower Sky Member

I wouldn't say it was better. There were just as many bad things going on then as there are now.
    Sure technology makes people more lethargic, but that's because they aren't utilizing it properly. If people would use it in a more constructive manner, the world would be a better place to live. I'd have to agree with the comment about the music, as well as the one about gang violence though. Then again, it's possible- especially with the advent of the internet- to find some outstanding music, past and present.
    And I'll admit, I really prefer the styles of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. But that just means I'll go thrift shopping, make my own clothes, etc. Not living in the past, not wishing to live in the past, but admiring the actions, courage, and some aspects of the culture of the people who did live in those times.
    Always learn from the past, but don't wish you were a part of it. Just make the best of the infinite contingencies of the future :2thumbsup:

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

You seem to forget a few things about the 60's, like the racial violence and lynchings, NO rights at all for gays, very little rights for women, seeing friends and neighbors coming home in body bags DAILY, seeing friends and neighbors get drafted, never to return home.
    My dad has/had 3 friends who as of the 90's were still considered MIA in Vietnam since 1966.
    Hell, smallpox was still thriving in the wild.

The 60's get's such a romanticized glossing that younger people often just don't know how fucked up it really was.

Myself, as an American male, have NO desire to go back to one of the most turbulent and violent times in America since the Civil War.