Alcoholism/addiction Moderation Vs Total Abstinence

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Nov 27, 2016.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

like an infomercial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJoBMayjlUo

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Dexedrine, that stuff took me out, 25mg, five pills twice a day for years, that doctor was letting me kill myself.

Of course a little antacid to make it work better....

I always say Adderal cause most people never heard of Dexedrine. I don't even want to think of those years but when you see me bashing the child drugging industry that's why. Friend my out as an adult at the recommended dose. They give THAT to children ! I was all skinny like prison camp survivor don't even want to think about it.

Sometimes I entertain the idea of hitting up a doctor for my "attention problem" bad idea.

3. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I did not want to paste all of it but I made the meetings pretty steady, daily, for about 5 years before I pretty much stopped, I go maybe every 2 weeks now.

I have the problem that I also drink now about every 3 weeks and I don't want to lie and say I have been sober when I haven't but I don't want to be doing that white chip thing obviously people would be like WTF.

I also got on the health kick, going to the gym since I got "sober" or as I like to say my recovery date over 5 years ago. I like my health and gym results F being a drunkard that would take it all away.

I just tell people I have had no problems from alcohol in 5 years. Truth is I really don't like it anymore MOST of the time. If I know I am going to have fun guarantee like a concert or boating/fishing I drink. That's it. No bars just sitting there alone in crowd or sitting at home, only if its going to be fun and worth the shitty hangover part.

And now for some reason that shitty hangover part is a major deterrent, even though I drank daily for 20 years and in the end morning till night all the way to hospitals. No way am I drinking tonight feel like crap tomorrow miss the gym likely and not want to eat for sure. F that, not unless good time will I drink.

Anyway my closer AA friends know but there is no way I could go to a meeting and preach moderation or even suggest it and I wouldn't cause it could hurt some but at the same time the total Abstinence message is damaging to others > "I can never drink again screw this"

Still thinking about this, maybe I am a hypocrite going to those meetings and drinking ever so often, I don't mesh with a lot of them like you said and never did. I always speak real, I admit to "under a year". I am actually kind of proud of slipping but not falling (like they say I will), and I have friends there.

This dilemma is what inspired this thread before it went off into the disease debate.

"the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking"

I have a desire not to be a drunkard and sick, and I been though hell and made it back and I do guide new people, talk to them without doing the AA dumbshit that chases many away.

4. fundoo

fundoo Members

So, I didn't realize AA was like that. I guess it makes sense, you having to announce how long it's been since your last drink at meetings. (What I gather from media) I ...now i dont know what I think of that! I mean, I believe some can quit cold turkey, but others need to gradually wean off. (Speaking of altogether quitting, not talking about those who aim to moderate) This is really kinda personal stuff for me, but I'll continue. I felt that by some definitions of the word that I could have been an alcoholic. And alcoholism, or rather, mental disorders/alcohol/other addictions does run in my family, although I think my parents moderate well enough. Still, I recognized an addictive trait in myself and well, it wasn't AA but something sparked me to quit cold turkey and I haven't had a drink since. So, for some people, something like AA or religion might work, to have a goal as it were. And cold turkey worked for me, with the distractions and removal of temptations. Yes, I had cravings back then, but they went away mostly. Came up recently though when I came across a non alcoholic malt beverage...yeah, well, now I have to say goodbye to that because of the gluten. *rolls eyes, but maybe it is a mixed blesing? Because I am only "intolerant", if that shit gets in the house, well then, oh shit! But I can moderate that,... but for how long? That however, doesn't have the physiological addictive properties as alcohol. Wait, right? (Though it really has no health benefits either) By that definition, maybe I wasn't an alcoholic, but if it does have physiological addictive properties, I could have developed it had I continued. Mental addictions though are very real and can be just as hard or harder to overcome or moderate, unless you really have something to hold onto/are strong willed. And well, drugs don't help that.

5. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was admitted recently to a drug rehab facility, even though it was mistake I learned that those places do nothing. I saw addicts released just on their word they would clean themselves up and would return the next day. There is no help for the addicted.

6. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

They only have to not drink or use today - tomorrow is an unknown country. However, when it comes they're in the same boat. They only have to not drink or use for that day. They can always drink tomorrow just not today. Once they get that, quitting becomes an easier prospect - they don't have to handle their whole lifetime in one thought

7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

National Counsel for Alcoholism

I suspect it's National COUNCIL for Alcoholism - the national counsel for alcoholism would be alcoholism's lawyer.

As for whether or not alcoholism is a disease, I suspect it is. Most contrary arguments that I've seen are from people who want to be able to drink - I'm sure that's not true n all cases. I'm just maintaining a watching brief on the submissions.

8. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Total abstinence or at the very least very, very minimal alcohol I would say is probably the best approach for most alcoholics.

And then of course you have naltrexone/the sinclair method which may or may not be the future for treating alcoholism....only time will tell.

9. broony

broony Banned

For a alcoholic there is no such thing as moderation. No such thing a minimal, no such thing as 1 drink or 1 beer.

It is a progressive addiction. Each time you go out you will fall harder than before.

First drinking is fun, then its fun with a few problems, then its strait problems.

Once you reach strait problems its like being stuck in a hole with a shovel and every time you throw dirt somewhere it slides down part of the side. Its impossible to get out.

The short version: the only way i was able to get out of it was rehab twice, and leaving my town to live in a type of halfway house.

I have been in this house for a year now. I have 13 months clean. I am very glad im here.

PM me if you have questions.

Just remember if you go six miles into the woods, it will take you 6 miles to get out.

10. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

1,000 is never enough

Just ent to an AA meet this morning and agree with you

Tags: