Adventure time!

Discussion in 'Cartoons' started by tutu96, Aug 11, 2012.

1. tutu96

tutu96 Member

Does anyone watch adventure time?

2. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

Yes, and Regular Show! I've even taken it upon myself to download every episode of both shows and store them on my USB drive.

There's a site which posts high quality versions around an hour or two after they air on TV. http://thepotentpotables.blogspot.com/

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I absolutely cannot understand why adolescents and adults like this show. It's like a bad Adult Swim cartoon without the benefit of extreme raunchiness. My friend always has it on, and I've clocked it at only 1.5 good jokes per episode.

4. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

Maybe you need to watch it high. I find it to be very creative, witty, and the perfect blend of childhood and psychedelia.

I also like the fact that it is TV-PG. There's still humor to make it appeal to people who are older without the extreme raunchiness that Adult Swim shows have, and without the extreme censors that other kid-oriented shows have.

Family Guy is by far less creative these days than Adventure Time. The jokes get old, because they rely on the same subjects for humor. I still watch Family Guy sometimes, especially the older episodes, but still....

5. Duck

He's one of my smoking friends =P

I love that children these days get to watch all this trippy shit, maybe they'll have more imagination than the current generations of adults and writers, but the problem with Adventure Time is it's too far removed from reality or any real sense of structure (with the exception of some episodes, like the one with the Wizard carving up the princesses). It's basically just a mix-mash of ideas, that don't ever fully come together.

Superjail! has satire and sitcom-styled plots to ground it. Aqua Teen has Frylock and Carl. Heavy Metal has the green energy thing. The Electric Company has education. But you could write an Adventure Time episode with a random word generator.

Family Guy is terrible. When I was complaining to my friend about Adventure Time, I said at least it's better than Family Guy in that it doesn't have those excruciatingly anti-funny moments.

6. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

I fucking love lumpy space princess " these lumps I know u wanna slump up on these lumps but u can't cause ur a chump these lumps so go back home to ur dump" "these lumps are not for sale Billy!"

7. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

Oh come on, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is far more random than Adventure Time! haha

Adventure Time's plots always have a structure and goal. The humor can certainly be random, and they definitely insert random bits, but I can't think of one episode that didn't make sense at all. And I think Finn's human qualities have some sort of ground to them.

Aqua Teen's definitely had episodes that don't get anywhere, but solely rely on character humor. Plus the show gets too raunchy sometimes for my taste, and old as well.

But yeah, sounds like you could definitely use some of your friend's special ingredient. :ssmokeit:

8. Duck

Take the bear episode, for instance. They're having a party in the woods. It's the time of their life, why? Who knows. Then the bear comes over; starts hanging out, despite everything one knows about bears. The bear then starts hanging out with Flynn, and acting like Flynn. Why? Cause he does. Half-way through the story, yes, it does develop into a coherent plot. But the set up is a completely random one; that could be absolutely anything.
    Why not a car that acts like Flynn? Why not a hamburger coming over to their orgy on the moon and eating them? There's no sense whatsoever to the start of the episode. It's like 2001 backwards.
    Not many I can think of, but I must confess I've only seen it a couple times in the last 3 years or so.
    Weed makes me more critical and inattentive. I like things like American Psycho, Inglorious Basterds and MASH (the movie) that have a lot of thought behind them, yet different aspects you can focus on.

9. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

Yeah, you definitely haven't seen Aqua Teen enough then. I don't remember exact episodes, but I do know there'd be times they'd throw random shit in there for no reason. Like all of a sudden there's an evil dragon or something like that. And then of course there's the alien characters. Or a whole episode can just revolve around the characters talking about something without there being any real plot.

The Adventure Time episode with the bear is a bit random, but it makes sense. It has a plot in the form of the bear wanting to be like Finn, thus copying everything he does instead of staying true to himself. Yeah, look there's even a moral.

The ending does have a random plot twist, where it turns out the bear actually tried to get close to Finn just so he could give the Enchiridion to his boss. But they've done that sort of thing before, so chances are they'll pick up from the cliffhanger in a future episode.

I think you ask too many why's. Why not throw a party? Why not have a bear? I think such spontaneity is what keeps the show fresh, and part of what attracts so many people. Hence, the psychedelic spirit.

Regular Show has that sort of thing, too, but the first half of the episodes are grounded in reality. Then stuff gets crazy as the plot progresses. Sort of different, but the same spirit.

10. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

Oh my glob

11. tutu96

tutu96 Member

Algebratastic!

12. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Adult Swim in general is just awesome.

13. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

LOL Adventure Time's not an Adult Swim cartoon.

14. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Fuck, I could've sworn I saw it on Adult Swim. I fail.

15. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Member

Both Adventure Time and Regular Show have references in them, some which are purposely made to be obvious. But ironically enough they still manage to be marketed as TV-PG kids' shows. LOL

16. Gray passenger

Gray passenger Member

Got even my dad hooked on Adventure time :D
    Now everybody is watching it. Have no idea, why it's on CN, because it's way too stonerish for the kids. :D

17. BubblegumPhysics

BubblegumPhysics Members

They have the first canon lesbian couple ever announced in a children's show, and they've done a wonderful job of handling it. :D

I did think it was a little much for younger children when I first started watching, but I think some of the deeper subject matter might resonate with kids who are in bad situations. Most of what transpires between Marcline, and the Ice King is way to easy to relate to a child growing up, and watching a parent go through a personality disorder. Maybe indirectly showing them that they're not alone could help in an age where both parents are working full time, and children are left to themselves?