Activism?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Activism' started by harshhookah, Feb 21, 2005.

1. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

you've never even posted in this thread so how could I have been talking about you??

and the anonymous thing is bullshit. If you really beleive in it, you should be able to express your feelings publicly. If you can't you're obviously too afraid of what everyone else thinks of you and that's the attitude we need to stop.

Sure, you can slip a few bucks here and there to the cause, but we need more people to stand up and shout legalize it and not so many who give money and slip away without having to do the actual work- facing the public!

2. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i don't really hide anything, i am not a BIG smoker as I don't smoke often at all, just to go to bed if I have a migrane or something. but i see no reason why it shouldnt be legal.

3. moondance

moondance Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

"you're obviously too afraid of what everyone else thinks of you"

Absolutely not.
    My concern is about a spell in prison.
    As I said, I grow, and I'm not about to risk going to prison unecessarily.

4. headymoechick

you will never go to prison for speaking your mind.
    the smart thing to do is to stand up and tell people how you feel.

Not stand up and smoke a fatty in front of people.

Your a dumb ass anyway. Admitting you grow pot on the net can come back to bite you. I don't know the laws in England, but I know pot ain't legal.

If you were really that scared of going to prison, you would watch what you say.

So you won't stand up for the legalization of pot, yet you'll openly admit you grow it?

and your concern is prison. hmm....

5. element7

element7 Random fool

yeah, sometimes I can be a grumpy ol' bastard. I guess much of my comment stems from what I see locally. There's a ton of people around where I live that smoke pot all the time (who don't live with their parents) yet run around in hiding. They won't for a second back you up if you get into a debate over legalization in a public setting, no they'll sit there quietly and let you take all the heat. Then after they're like" Yeah, alright dude!" when noone is looking and you just want to smack em'. Just a little tired of people who are all too willing to let someone else fight for them while they sit on the sidelines. That only hurts the movement, we need people to stand up and be counted, not a fuggin peanut gallery.

So, didn't mean to really bash anybody even though it came out like that. I understand what parents are about. One time when I was 16 my mom busted me and a friend smokin' out of an aluminum foil pipe. I crumbled it up, stuck it in my pocket. She searched my pockets, opened up the foil, saw the black stuff and shouted "Your'e smoking CRACK!!!!" She made my friend walk six miles back to his house and I was grounded for a month as well as made to watch all these videos about crack. Now, years later, we sit around and laugh about it together. Maybe time is the best thing.

6. see in blonde

see in blonde Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Moe, first of all internet posts are inadmissable in court. Not only that, but the cops would need multiple warrants just to get that guys IP address. Plus the fact that the server is in a different country than the poster.

Above and beyond that, you completely missed his point, which was very valid. A fuckload of smokers in the US are scared into silence in fear of a knock on the door by the DEA. Whether they have an eigth, or are growing 15 plants, lots of people remain underground about their pot use to stay out of jail.

To make any kind of change, people must lobby. The law has procedures that must be followed and met to make any reforms, but change can be made. Whoever said that norml hasn't done shit, needs to read up a bit. They are one of the key components to the legalization issue. If more people would just pay the $50 or whatever it is to join, and the membership numbers shot up, politicians would take notice.

7. headymoechick

And you completely missed MY point. You don't need to smoke it and tell everyone that you do to stand up and say that you think marijuana should be legalized. Plenty of non-smokers think so and THOSE are the people that have to help us! Those are the people I want to reach out to and say "Hey! Give us a hand with the power of your vioce and lets ALL make a difference." Politicians are going to notice the people rallying together to protest and tell people what we beleive rather than seeing how much money Norml is raising. If our numbers increased to tens of thousands to millions, all speaking out and yelling for change, people are going to listen. Don't live in fear!! You don't need to be afriad of the police knocking down your door for saying you believe marijuana should be legalized. All you have to be afriad of is if you smoke pot, getting caught. Responsible, private, smart use in your home should prevent that. Not always, but most of the time.

Please hear me! Please do not focus on the technicalities of my post, but listen to my message. I have not come here to debate on wether or not someone is capable to participate in the movement. I post here to get people excited and motivate them! I don't wish to seek an arguement with anyone. If I can inspire 1 person to spread the word, I've made a difference and that's what I care about.

8. taxrefund90

taxrefund90 Member

Although i don't know if i would really try marijuana, i feel that it should be legalized. if tobacco and alcohol are legal, mara juana should be legal also.

9. element7

element7 Random fool

Thank you. NORML has done a great deal and continues to do so. Alot of people don't see it though because this is the kind of stuff that doesn't make major headlines, know what I mean? Anyway, yeah it's not just the membership fee it's bodies, people willing to take some action and be involved themselves as well. On that note for anyone in Tejas: we're going to Austin Tuesday, 03.08 for H.B. 254, which would reduce the penalty for possession of one ounce or less of marijuana to the equivalent of a traffic ticket.(A step in decriminalization and keeping people out of prison and jail). There will be a hearing on the bill and folks are encouraged to show up en masse to support it. This is a serious moment so it's asked that anyone coming please dress appropriately for the hearing (hey we can dance naked around a fire later :)) So, anyone in Tejas who's interested in hitting up the Capitol this coming week, pm me (possible ride share) or check out : http://mpp.org/TX/action.html
    for some more info.

10. harshhookah

harshhookah Member

Here I pulled up something from the Internet. If you are familier with Bill O' Reilly then you might know what it is. Although it is dated back in 02, it still has a good conversation on there. I would like to see another visit to the show with new information. Maybe the people that go on national t.v to discuss the issue should get more praise from people. I have seen a few people on t.v speak out (always nice to see.)

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread12704.shtml

11. element7

element7 Random fool

Correction, that has been delayed until Tuesday March 15, 2005.

12. Shaman420

Shaman420 Herbalist

I'd hope that any one who was capable would donate to NORML. I do so on a monthly basis, and it is extremely important to attend the rallies, though I personally wont make it out to my first one till this summer. There is a lot you can do to get pot legalized but the thing is you can't be paranoid about it. You have to speak out and say marijuana is good medicine, marijuana is good for recreational use, and we want it legalized. Also dems have to make peace with the republicans on this issue in particular. Pot doesn't discriminate, all sorts of people smoke it and all sorts of people need to speak out on its behalf. Join NORML at www.norml.org today if you havent already, and periodically check high times for marijuana activism news. Also Raich v. Ashcroft the supreme court case of medicinal marijuana is comming to a close and it is extremely important that if the case is not found in behalf of raich that WE GET OUT THERE AND HAVE OUR VOICES HEARD! Stay tuned for information on the veredict, and I'll post some info on the case tommorow, and how you can make a difference. Legalize it.