70th Anniversary of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Born out of the horrors of World War II, the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights was unanimously adopted in December of 1948, with Saudi Arabia and the USSR abstaining.

Originally meant as a kind of bill of rights that could be drawn upon by anyone anywhere, it is instead a common standard for all peoples everywhere. It still has some force of law. And many modern charters of rights are often based upon it.

As it says in the charter itself, people should be made aware of it everywhere, to grow in rights, and respect for your fellow humans. But most of you probably weren't even aware that this December is the 70th anniversary.

Please take time to read the charter. It is interesting to see how close we (i.e., the US) come to its lofty ideals (no offense to non-US board members :) ).

Also, I just have to ask. I know they don't mention the UDHR in the US media. Do they mention it in any other country?

:)

2. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Okay, no one wants to discuss the UDHR. So to get the discussion moving in a slightly different direction, I thought I would add this.

Did you know that the US was recently taken off the UN human rights council? Here: For First Time, U.S. Is Excluded From U.N. Human Rights Panel China, Sudan and Pakistan are still on it, and we aren't.

What am I missing here? Do those countries follow the UDHR better than us? Think about it.

:)