21 Years in a 1973 Dodge Van

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by TwoDogs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. skycanvas

skycanvas Member

I guess everybody's got their thing...I know people like that. I guess we wander around a good part of our lives trying to find that & when we do, then it just fits. Yes, I believe in ethereal stuff where you never touch anything solid but maybe are a story teller or something... some people just are. Those are good illustrations. I guess I rely on more senses cuz i feel it makes a deeper impression since I was a teacher. I guess if I was i still am. Maybe everything we do can be boiled down to its more basic essence.

2. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

I wonder what happened to two dog?

3. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hey Dude,

I've been traveling the west for many years. I used to have a Ford Van with a straight six and three on the tree. I now use a little v-6 Ford ranger and a 1963 Aristocrat 13ft trailer. I live in Colorado and try to spend my winters around Wickenburg AZ. I also camp on the Hasayampa down by Buckeye. I'm looking into Quartsite this year, for the rock and gem show. I use the 15 watt solar panel from Harbor Frieght. I put my volt meter on it and got 4.6 amps and 23 volts. It puts a full charge on my deep cycle battery without trouble. Maybe we'll meet up down the road somewhere in AZ or Nevada.

4. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I saw this house last year: Tellus Solar House
    It is stationary, but it appears to be similar in shape and size to some mobile homes.
    It has 39 solar panels and some batteries around back.
    High efficiency refrigerator, LED lights everywhere and even air conditioning.
    The day I visited was extremely hot and humid outside, pleasant inside.
    It gets all its electricity from solar panels, but the efficient design helps make that possible.
    [​IMG]

5. stormountainman

My $59 solar panel from Harbor Junk produces 4.6 amps and 23.9 volts. I can charge two semi truck 1000 cranking amp batteries or one big marine deep cycle battery and run your entire house on it. The deep cycle batteries take longer to charge. I prefer the truck batteries. You can run fans, lights, power tools, 12 volt refrigerators, 12 volt freezers, charge your cell phone and lap top too. I know a guy that operates his C-pap machine every night on a similar system. Solar power is the answer!

6. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

I am so happy every time I see this thread pop up again. :)

7. stormountainman

I am happy because you are happy! Now we are happy together!

8. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

9. stormountainman

Hey Firefly, Arizona is nice and warm in the winter-time.

10. westwind15

westwind15 Guest

Has anyone heard from him? TwoDogs?

11. crewcut

crewcut Member

Got this thread pointed out to me, can see the reason for infamous status on these boards. Nice rig, TwoDogs. Got to say the camo was better, but I understand... got to keep the rust off. Hope your safe & well off the beaten path, Sir.

12. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Two Dogs is a good man, I think sometimes he just has to get away from it all for a while. I hope he comes back someday.

13. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

one of my favorite threads on HF- - -Hope all is well with 2 dogs out west

14. Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob Member

Greetings All!

Camper_Bob here, been a mobile traveler since 1961, mainly working disaster relief, which is why being a full time mobile traveler just makes sense.

In the spirit of helping van dwellers, and other mobile travelers, I have started a new thread at http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=8007156#post8007156

Anyone who needs help or has answers to offer is welcome. Hope to see you there!

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Wow hello Bob!

Welcome to Hipforums..... God bless you and your camper :)

16. Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob Member

Thanks! Glad to be here, and hopefully I can be a good contributer.

17. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Hey, cool thread.

I did the mobile thing for about a year with my Boxer terrier after I left my first husband in Ontario and moved to BC. Stuffed my shit in storage and lived in a camp site and when winter happened it was shut down but I was allowed to stay, kind of a deal to watch over stuff. Of course I had no heat or hydro so it was a bit cold some nights but I had a thick blanket that I sewed a sheepskin layer onto and was toasty warm. It was a cheap way to live till I got my feet back on the ground and I loved it. Once I was able to afford indoor living I was hesitant to leave my mobile rig.
    I cooked off propane and worked for peeps when I could find work and my dog came with me. I met a lot of cool people who were doing similar in other places but who had traveled to where I was for short stints. I moved around a bit but stuck pretty close to this camp site. Not long after I was done living there I had my divorce settlement come in and bought my store, then later lived in my rig beside the store to save money and build on my store. I had a complete truckers style washroom in my store so living there was even easier then. Didn't have to ask friends to use their shower.
    Yes I would do it again and do have plans on buying a diesel pusher to live in when I retire so I can travel Canada, living where ever my rig parks me then. I have a BF now so you never know how that will go by then, maybe he won't want to but so far he says it sounds interesting.
    Love this thread.

@ fireflyinthedark,,, did you ever get to do this? Are you still planning on it? You will love it if you do. Turning the key and fekking off when ever you want is the best feeling besides not paying home owners taxes or rent. My taxes are two grand a year and it drives me nuts going in there to hand them those bucks but I love my home and once I am done with the business end life, what makes me money right now, I will sell it and either down size to a cabin on the lake maybe or a rig. I really want to do the travel thing more.

18. Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob Member

Greetings Sally,

Take your new BF camping, and hopefully they'll love it as much as you do.

It might not be for everybody, but with a proper introduction it can become very addictive.

Good Luck! :2thumbsup:

19. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

He is a camper/fisherman at heart so it might be easy to talk him into living on the run so to speak once we are both done working and retire. I would sell everything and have only what the rig could carry plus a dog. Having done it before I actually miss it still. It felt like freedom of life's hang ups like responsibilities of mortgages, bills and f-ing taxes.
    My dream as a kid was to travel in a small motorhome and work wherever I stopped just to make enough to carry on again to the next interesting stop a day or so later. I kept getting darn good jobs tho and had to settle down for a few years here and there till I would get tired of it and then happen on another good job. Couldn't resist the money and experience those jobs offered so living on the run was never an option. I can't wait for retirement so I won't be thinking about working, just relaxing where ever a days drive lands me, and the man I am with then which could be who I am with now if we last that long, so far seems good and he is a jack of all trades and loves maintaining vehicles, a good thing to have under one's belt if going this way.
    I know many who did this travel and work thing and they love it. It only seems like it could be tough to live this way to those who haven't done it before. It's actually easier then it looks.
    He currently has a 26 ft motorhome but is going to sell it because it's an older one. Mine is a leisure travel and it's only good for short trips, not much living space and storage in it, I want a 30 footer or more by that time because I want to really live in it, a long time.

20. Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob Member

Greetings Sally,

Sounds like a pretty good plan.

I got lucky, got recruited into the disaster corps right out of high school, so I got to travel while having a good paying job too. I'm retired now, but like you, I still have that wanderlust in my heart, and I never want to outgrow it !