Making CO2 oil?

Discussion in 'Processing Marijuana' started by AceK, Dec 28, 2013.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Is it possible to do this at home? I understand that the pressures would be quite high, but nothing that some schedule 80 steel pipe couldn't handle right? And how does one get CO2 into a supercritical phase in the first place? I've been told that CO2 oil is superior to BHO.

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

I don't know anything about drugs, but if this an engineering problem ;) you might want to look up Ben Krasnow at youtube. He has some videos about CO2 and the extraction of caffein etc. up and he provides profound information.

Regards
    Gyro

3. AceK

That video was cool. I don't have a CNC machine and that pipe with the dry ice looks dangerous be he obviously knows what he's doing

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I can not stress this enough DO IT OUTSIDE or you will go boom. And not cheap out on supplies. You need good equipment for safety.

It is not that hard once you know what your doing. There are numerous tutorials online the hardest thing to get will be the actual shake/trim. Growers tend to not want to part with that because they want to make BHO themselves

5. AceK

Why would it be less likely to kill me if it blew up outside versus inside? I mean if it blew up right by my face it wouldn't really matter at that point where i was doing it. Having it blow up simply can't be an option, period. I would imagine a pressure gauge would be needed, and possibly some kind of pressure relief valve. How much pressure would make it blow up...I would imagine over 5000 PSIG would be extremely dangerous and bordering on the point where the pipe would burst, but I may be wrong about this, and it could be much lower than this. I am not actually going to attempt doing this at this time because what is involved isn't feasible for me right now, and staying safe is definitely a priority. It is an interesting topic though, and I've always been interested in CO2 extraction of anything, thc or otherwise.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Lack of ventilation will cause an explosion. So it is much less likely to explode outside.