condoms and UTI's (urinary tract infection)

Discussion in 'Birth Control' started by cmbackus2, Sep 8, 2008.

1. cmbackus2

cmbackus2 Member

ok so I was wondering if it was possable that a condom can give you a UTI.

I never got uti's before I started having sex but in the short time I've been sexully active I gotten 3 of them.

Then I started taking the pill and we have been going without condoms and just using "the pull out method" for our second method of birth control and since we wernt using condoms I havnt had any problems with tract infections.

BUT....

I miss my birth control pill 2 days ago and so we decided to play it safe and use a condom. and we have used condoms twice since then and now I have a UTI AGAIN!!!

It has to be the condoms right?

I mean I'm careful with everything else.
    I pee after sex and I drink lots of water during the day, so what else could it be?

(hr*st@

2. sarahrei

sarahrei ~Lover~

I'd say it's the condoms, you could have a allergy to latex.

3. cmbackus2

cmbackus2 Member

I thought I might have a latex allergy too. So when I went to Planned Parenthood I told them about what was happening and they gave me different condoms.
    I've never had problems with latex with anything else before, but just to be on the safe side I used the Microsheer Polyurethane condoms, and I still got a UTI.

Could it be the lubricant?...does anyone else have this problem or have any allargies to Palyurethane or condom lubricants?

4. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

it could be the lubricant, for sure. i seem to have a urethra that is right inside the vagina. really sucks when it comes to UTIs, that's for damn sure. i had a lot of them there for a while, even without using condoms.

do you pee INSTANTLY after sex? i try to pee at least twice within the hour after sex, one of those times being an instantaneous jump up from bed and run to the bathroom almost.

the other thing is that sometimes you can get uti's at the beginning, when you're not used to having sex, and then your body gets used to the antibiotics and keeps getting uti's.

taking some cranberry supplements on a regular basis for a while might help your bladder get back to its normal healthy state, because right now it sounds like it's kind of susceptible to getting bugs. :( sorry, i know how much they suck!

5. cmbackus2

cmbackus2 Member

yeah i always make sure that i go pee right after sex. Like within 5 mins after having sex.

arg! yeah they really do suck. and I have no heath insurance too so it makes things even more difficult.
    well thanks for your help anyway Nakedtreehugger....I'll try the cranberry thing too. :)

6. herekittykitty

herekittykitty Member

i used to get utis all the time. condoms and without condoms, but not every time i had sex. i dated this kid for a year and i had eight utis. i even went to the urologist to see if maybe something was wrong in there (they went up my urethra and made me pee or whatnot while i was knocked out), nothing.
    in my case. my ex's dick was probably rotten since he was sleeping around. in your case, it sounds like you may be allergic since you only get them with the condom

7. MadelineSpy

MadelineSpy Guest

I think condoms definitely make the prObability worse. My nurse said to try ones with a water based lubricant. When I'm on the pill and not using condoms I dont get utis as much. Something that works even better than cranberry juice is apple cider vinegar. One time I had nearly a whole bottle of no sugar 100% cran juice and doctors office wad closed- nothing was working. Had a half glass of acv and it was gone within hours. You prolly will have to hold your nose when you first have it cause it's hard to take but you get used to it. It has other great natural effects like cold prevention. I now take a few teaspoons regularly for cold prevention and will have a few tsps in 1-2 glasses of water a day for uti prevention after sex. I've managed to avoid utis this way even after condom use. This stuff is a miracle really- you can even put some In a bath. Just google acv natural remedies and you'll find a long list of what it helps.