Psilocybin Cures Depression In Terminal Patients

Discussion in 'Front Page Stories' started by skip, Dec 1, 2016.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Two new studies have found that the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms", psilocybin can help terminal patients get over their depression for as long as eight months. This was an unexpected finding for the scientists in the study.

The NYU and Johns Hopkins University study participants were given one large dose of psilocybin in a capsule. Then they were guided through the experience by a psychotherapist. They noticed an immediate reduction in the depression and anxiety caused by terminal cancer.

80% of the participants reported moderately or greatly improved well-being or life satisfaction. Many experienced the "oneness" with the universe that other psychedelic explorers have written about.
    The volunteers had “profoundly meaningful and spiritual experiences” which made most of them rethink life and death, ended their despair and brought about lasting improvement in the quality of their lives.

Psilocybin, once part of the psychiatric pharmacopeia, was made a schedule 1 drug in the US, severely limiting its research and potential uses as an anti-depressant or spiritually uplifting experience.

Source: The Guardian

Click here to view the article

2. Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong Members

I just like to take them once a year and get the body high. I've never taken enough to see things...I wonder if it could help

I am not terminal, but the article said it worked on healthy people too

Sambone likes this.
  3. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Only ever done shrooms a couple of times, but both times it really lifted my mood.

Let's face it most terminally ill patients go out pretty much off the faces on opiates anyway, might as well add a bit of psilocybin to the mix and get totally ripped one last time.

And of course, there's always the real possibility of a terminal cancer patient going into remission. Lifting someone's mood is one of the most important aspects of cancer treatment. People underestimate the power of self healing too often.

4 people like this.
  4. Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong Members

exactly, that movie "what the bleep do we know?" describes and shows scientifically how the emotions of the brain affect the physical body

1 person likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I took notice of a guy with terrible headaches. He got suicidal thoughts just because of these cluster headaches that made life unbearable to him at times. Then out of desperation he tried magic mushrooms after that got adviced to him and now, as I understood, he takes them about once a month and it seems to prevent most cluster headaches. They never got a clue why he got those cluster headaches and they don't have a clue why magic mushrooms help him so much. Only thing that is certain is that it is the only thing so far that they know helps him!

1 person likes this.
  6. Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong Members

its really amazing the things we have at our disposal to fix and cure ourselves....that are now illegal....it gives credence to the talking point that all of our issues/disorders are derivative of not being in touch with nature

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yes, I definitely agree there. The Psychedelic Experience is so challenging to individuals and cultural norms, I find it somewhat understandable that they have been demonized drugs, even in light of there practically being impossible to overdose or no explicit evidence of brain damage. I'm not saying it's right at all but these are powerful mind altering substances that can radically shift people's minds.

Hmm... Not so sure about that. There is evidence that the Mayans used Mushrooms and they often performed human sacrifices. I think I'd prefer our material centric detachment from nature rather than the detachment of ceremoniously slaughtering people to nourish some invisible deities.

1 person likes this.
  8. lenini56

lenini56 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I suffer severe depression and hearing this news excites me. :)

Sweet Sammy likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That sucks man! [​IMG]

Sweet Sammy likes this.
  10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

please don't take anything in those "movies" seriously.
    they are a pretty sad attempt to twist physics to conform to the religious philosophy they espouse. it really is some of the worst.

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LSD and Psilocybin are the only substances known to stop cluster headaches in their tracks and keep them from reoccurring for up to months at a time. For someone having cycle of multiple headaches a day, that is a miracle.
    works for certain migraines as well.
    Remember the episode of House when he took acid to get rid of a migraine?

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

While your comment is roiled in research, should usingHouse as a reference really follow your precious comment?
    House MD science is rather thin at points.

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

No, my knowledge is not gleaned from House MD...LOL, but rather many hours of reading and much personal experience with the substances, much of it I know I've posted links to in the past. This isn't the first thread on this topic or cluster headaches..
    It's just an amusing anecdote is all, but it is true that LSD can stop migraines and cluster headaches, so at least that bit they got right...LOL

Sweet Sammy likes this.
  14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Lol. I have used psilocybin at low dose for clusters.

15. TinyPlanet

TinyPlanet Members

I have read this over and over the last couple of years. Unfortunately things are not really moving in the right direction, or do so very slowly. If you take them, I would recommend to do so with someone who babysits you and whom you fully trust. Besides, I have read that bad trips are usually the result of too much, so better start slow. You don't want a bad trip.

Sweet Sammy likes this.
  16. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Ha ha, I saw the picture and thought.. haha, those look like liberty caps... liberty caps for depression? I thought... and sure enough they are. Make sure you stay hydrated... " many experience oneness with the universe." Lol

So the solution to depression is to not think about anything that is reality.

I get migraines too. I just ride them out most of the time, which can take days. I have gone to the hospital on rare occassions ... when I start to vomit when they are bad and getting anything to truly help takes hours and placebos are given before I actually get something that helps. Then I was given a prescription for oxy which did nothing ... very weak and I didn't want to take it either as it is addicting.

17. blazefortwenty

blazefortwenty Members

I have been clinically diagnosed with depression, how will my psychiatrist prescribe to me this medication.

18. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Start slow, the mistake people make is being inpatient "I don't feel anything" then take a load more and over do it. Its not like chugging a beer and feeling it in a minute or two.

I remember I took some once and also had a 12 pack of beer, I was like I better get some more beer I am going to run out really soon. It was the mushroom feeling hitting making me think that, there were only 2 beers missing from my 12 pack, I thought I had drank like 10 to be that altered.

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

actually most bad trips are the result of improper preparation (set and setting) and UNDERDOSING or not taking enough.
    low doses of psychedelics elicit much more anxiety than higher doses, but you are right, if not experienced and well versed, it is wise to have a "sitter" present.

20. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Psilocybin makes me feel amazing and happy as ever. But it actually gives me a headache the day after....