19 replies to this topic

#1 skip

skip

If you don't know me by now...

• Administrators
  • 12,330 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted December 01 2016 - 09:32 AM

Two new studies have found that the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms", psilocybin can help terminal patients get over their depression for as long as eight months. This was an unexpected finding for the scientists in the study.

The NYU and Johns Hopkins University study participants were given one large dose of psilocybin in a capsule. Then they were guided through the experience by a psychotherapist. They noticed an immediate reduction in the depression and anxiety caused by terminal cancer.

80% of the participants reported moderately or greatly improved well-being or life satisfaction. Many experienced the "oneness" with the universe that other psychedelic explorers have written about.

The volunteers had “profoundly meaningful and spiritual experiences” which made most of them rethink life and death, ended their despair and brought about lasting improvement in the quality of their lives.

Psilocybin, once part of the psychiatric pharmacopeia, was made a schedule 1 drug in the US, severely limiting its research and potential uses as an anti-depressant or spiritually uplifting experience.

Source: The Guardian

Click here to view the article
  • guerillabedlam, NoxiousGas, The Walking Dickhead and 2 others like this

Check out my Travel Journal!

#2 Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted December 03 2016 - 10:05 AM

I just like to take them once a year and get the body high. I've never taken enough to see things...I wonder if it could help

I am not terminal, but the article said it worked on healthy people too

Edited by Luna Lovesong, December 03 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#3 The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead

Pie Fingers

• PipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 03 2016 - 10:58 AM

Only ever done shrooms a couple of times, but both times it really lifted my mood.

Let's face it most terminally ill patients go out pretty much off the faces on opiates anyway, might as well add a bit of psilocybin to the mix and get totally ripped one last time.

And of course, there's always the real possibility of a terminal cancer patient going into remission. Lifting someone's mood is one of the most important aspects of cancer treatment. People underestimate the power of self healing too often.

• GLENGLEN, fourth wise man and ChangMitchell like this

#4 Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted December 03 2016 - 11:05 AM

exactly, that movie "what the bleep do we know?" describes and shows scientifically how the emotions of the brain affect the physical body

• farmerdon likes this

#5 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,499 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted December 14 2016 - 04:15 AM

I took notice of a guy with terrible headaches. He got suicidal thoughts just because of these cluster headaches that made life unbearable to him at times. Then out of desperation he tried magic mushrooms after that got adviced to him and now, as I understood, he takes them about once a month and it seems to prevent most cluster headaches. They never got a clue why he got those cluster headaches and they don't have a clue why magic mushrooms help him so much. Only thing that is certain is that it is the only thing so far that they know helps him!

• ChangMitchell likes this

Posted Image

#6 Luna Lovesong

Luna Lovesong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted December 26 2016 - 12:55 PM

its really amazing the things we have at our disposal to fix and cure ourselves....that are now illegal....it gives credence to the talking point that all of our issues/disorders are derivative of not being in touch with nature

• The Walking Dickhead and ChangMitchell like this

#7 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,946 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 26 2016 - 07:40 PM

its really amazing the things we have at our disposal to fix and cure ourselves....that are now illegal....

Yes, I definitely agree there. The Psychedelic Experience is so challenging to individuals and cultural norms, I find it somewhat understandable that they have been demonized drugs, even in light of there practically being impossible to overdose or no explicit evidence of brain damage. I'm not saying it's right at all but these are powerful mind altering substances that can radically shift people's minds.

it gives credence to the talking point that all of our issues/disorders are derivative of not being in touch with nature

Hmm... Not so sure about that. There is evidence that the Mayans used Mushrooms and they often performed human sacrifices. I think I'd prefer our material centric detachment from nature rather than the detachment of ceremoniously slaughtering people to nourish some invisible deities.
  • ChangMitchell likes this

3i6eiPI.png?

#8 lenini56

lenini56

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted December 26 2016 - 11:19 PM

Two new studies have found that the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms", psilocybin can help terminal patients get over their depression for as long as eight months. This was an unexpected finding for the scientists in the study.

The NYU and Johns Hopkins University study participants were given one large dose of psilocybin in a capsule. Then they were guided through the experience by a psychotherapist. They noticed an immediate reduction in the depression and anxiety caused by terminal cancer.

80% of the participants reported moderately or greatly improved well-being or life satisfaction. Many experienced the "oneness" with the universe that other psychedelic explorers have written about.

Psilocybin, once part of the psychiatric pharmacopeia, was made a schedule 1 drug in the US, severely limiting its research and potential uses as an anti-depressant or spiritually uplifting experience.

Source: The Guardian

Click here to view the article

I suffer severe depression and hearing this news excites me.  :)

#9 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,499 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted December 27 2016 - 05:55 AM

I suffer severe depression and hearing this news excites me.   :)

That sucks man! grouphug.gif

Posted Image

#10 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,523 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted December 27 2016 - 05:59 AM

exactly, that movie "what the bleep do we know?" describes and shows scientifically how the emotions of the brain affect the physical body

please don't take anything in those "movies" seriously.

they are a pretty sad attempt to twist physics to conform to the religious philosophy they espouse. it really is some of the worst.

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company