• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Sapphire Soul

Sapphire Soul

• PipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted November 25 2016 - 03:09 AM

http://3tags.org/art...as-no-beginning

The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein’s theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once.

The widely accepted age of the universe, as estimated by general relativity, is 13.8 billion years. In the beginning, everything in existence is thought to have occupied a single infinitely dense point, or singularity. Only after this point began to expand in a “Big Bang” did the universe officially begin.

Although the Big Bang singularity arises directly and unavoidably from the mathematics of general relativity, some scientists see it as problematic because the math can explain only what happened immediately after—not at or before—the singularity.

“The Big Bang singularity is the most serious problem of general relativity because the laws of physics appear to break down there,” Ahmed Farag Ali at Benha University and the Zewail City of Science and Technology, both in Egypt said.

Ali and coauthor Saurya Das at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada, have shown in a paper published in Physics Letters B that the Big Bang singularity can be resolved by their new model in which the universe has no beginning and no end.

If there was no Big Bang, at least there will be no Big Crunch. I don't know which is the more mind-boggling, the idea of an infinitely small singularity, or the infinity of Space-Time.

• Mountain Valley Wolf likes this

gallery_115237_6097_21333.jpg

Sun so bright that I'm nearly blind

Spiritualized

#2 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 12,215 posts

Posted November 25 2016 - 03:15 AM

No surprise really.
Something has had to be there before so there is always something.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#3 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,950 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 25 2016 - 03:27 AM

I'm pretty sure this work has been posted before, it's interesting but as far as I can understand it nothing really substantial can be verified from this within our lifetimes because...

New gravity particle

In physical terms, the model describes the universe as being filled with a quantum fluid. The scientists propose that this fluid might be composed of gravitons—hypothetical massless particles that mediate the force of gravity. If they exist, gravitons are thought to play a key role in a theory of quantum gravity.

it relies on gravitons, which we don't have the technology to detect.

3i6eiPI.png?

#4 Guest_xenxan

Guest_xenxan
  • Guests

Posted November 25 2016 - 03:39 AM

How can we be sure the Universe has ever existed? It is a question that can never be answered but is intriguing to theorize about.

• Perfection of Disorder likes this

#5 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,509 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:01 AM

How can we be sure the Universe has ever existed? It is a question that can never be answered but is intriguing to theorize about.

I think, therefore I am. If that is so why wouldn't the universe exist. Albeit most likely in a different form than we perceive it.

Posted Image

#6 Perfection of Disorder

Perfection of Disorder

Paradoxically Spontaneous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationIn the midst of knowing the unknowable

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:03 AM

I think, therefore I am. If that is so why wouldn't the universe exist. Albeit most likely in a different form than we perceive it.

Unless the universe comes into existence as we perceive it.
  • Asmo likes this
DISCLAIMER......Please hold on......my understanding is my own and yours is yours. We have already agreed to disagree and disagreed to agree. Your personal ideology is no more good or bad than mine, etc.......... Love,Hate,War & Peace.........END DISCLAIMER

#7 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,950 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:27 AM

Descartes arrived at that phrase from skepticism. From there in his Meditations, he reels it back in and suggests the external world exists and the like, but it laid the groundwork for solipsism, which in some variations doesn't believe in, or believe we can know an external world.

I think that's better relegated for the philosophy section but as I've said previously, it seems Quantum Mechanics is verging into the realm of the Philosophical.

* I hope I'm not quoting a terrorist...
  • Asmo likes this

3i6eiPI.png?

#8 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:51 AM

An infinity here, an infinity there, and pretty soon you're talking Big Science! The paradox of infinity is it appears to arise within a singularity inspiring mathematicians and physicists alike to play with their mathematics. For example, String theory keeps spitting out new theories that suggest an astronomically greater number of theories can explain everything all that much more beautifully. Attempting to make any kind of ultimate sense out of reality is like asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. As Einstein said, "Your theory is crazy, but the question is whether its crazy enough." A recent examination of inflation indicated that within a few years we may be able to tell if the Big Bang was faster than light which would mean there is just no way to tell if the chicken came before the egg.

Edited by Wu Li Heron, November 25 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#9 Sapphire Soul

Sapphire Soul

• PipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted November 25 2016 - 08:21 AM

A recent examination of inflation indicated that within a few years we may be able to tell if the Big Bang was faster than light which would mean there is just no way to tell if the chicken came before the egg.

Can you expand (no pun intended) on what the consequences of inflation occuring faster than light would be? I have not heard about that theory.

gallery_115237_6097_21333.jpg

Sun so bright that I'm nearly blind

Spiritualized

#10 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,509 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted November 25 2016 - 08:23 AM

Can you expand (no pun intended)

:D