Photo
- - - - -

How Do Black People Fare In Other Countries?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbee68

Jimbee68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 01:57 AM

I know even most conservatives would agree, they fare pretty badly in the USA. And I hope most would agree with me, that is probably the failure of public policy. They do poorly in Africa too. But that isn't surprising. Many Arab people fare badly in Africa. And many Asians do poorly in Asia. There are sadly few places in this world, as rich as western cultures.

But how do Black people do in, say, Europe? Or Canada? Or Australia, for that matter?

I trust you can see where I am going with this.

patriot.gif smash.gif

#2 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,754 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 02:11 AM

Dunno, not many black people here where I am

#3 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted November 11 2016 - 02:39 AM

Treated the same as everyone else and n the UK.
Looked down on in Thailand, dark skin is considered low class.

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

#4 TheGhost

TheGhost

Auuhhhhmm ...

• PipPipPip
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationCan't get there from here

Posted November 11 2016 - 03:29 AM

I hear they're not doing too well in parts of Nigeria either.

We're all foreigners .... almost everywhere.

#5 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,589 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted November 11 2016 - 03:37 AM

There are still people in Nigeria? I thought they all crossed the Sahara.

Posted Image

#6 Pressed Rat

Pressed Rat

Do you even lift, bruh?

• PipPipPip
  • 33,212 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 04:07 AM

How a person fares in this country has more to do with the situation they're born into. It has more to do with socioeconomics than race. A black child born into a middle class household with both parents present has the same, if not more opportunities than a white child. The idea that black people fare worse than white people simply because they're black is bullshit perpetuated by the liberal media.
  • Dick Paradise, 6-eyed shaman, fourth wise man and 1 other like this

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

#7 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 04:23 AM

In the UK black people have to contend with some racism, but generally they are pretty much integrated in many ways. The focus of British racists has shifted over time towards Muslims and east Europeans.

Thing is, that although the Brits were very much involved in the slave trade back in the imperial period, the slaves went mainly to colonies like America or the West Indies. There were very few slaves here. Immigration of Blacks, mainly from the Caribbean started after WWII  when Britain had a labour shortage and many were encouraged to come over.

British racism is constructed differently from the US variety partly for that reason. Backs were looked down on historically, but from a distance.

There's the usual racist fear of anyone different, but nothing like you've had in America.

When Britain was an imperial power, they had to tell themselves that blacks and other non-Europeans were inferior in order to justify to themselves colonizing their lands. I think that's really one of the main the bases of British racism even now with regard to blacks. It's slightly different in the case of the other immigrants I mentioned.

I wouldn't say that blacks don't experience racism here or that they are fully accepted by everyone, but it's not as bad as the USA to judge from what I see in the media, which as I've never been to America is the only source to asses things. 

#8 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,589 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted November 11 2016 - 05:22 AM

Conversating with americans (like on here) about these topics is already a second source ;)

And what you say about blacks in the UK is roughly similar to here in the Netherlands. Slaves were transported to the colonies, not our society. Many people esp. in the countryside rarely even saw a black person at all :P This changed after lets say the 1970s.

Posted Image

#9 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,563 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 05:38 AM

Conversating with americans (like on here) about these topics is already a second source ;)

And what you say about blacks in the UK is roughly similar to here in the Netherlands. Slaves were transported to the colonies, not our society. Many people esp. in the countryside rarely even saw a black person at all :P This changed after lets say the 1970s.

I suppose I broadly classify this as 'media' - true it's more intimate, and yes, I've learned quite a lot conversing with Americans. 

The racism against blacks was worse here back in the 70's - there were TV sit coms that would now be regarded as blatant racism. But it's changed and it's still changing. I myself didn't ever see a black person until I was about 6. Kid from a small provincial town where there was and is little work for newcomers. The blacks that have come to live here now do seem quite well integrated, and we don't have any real issues with racism in this neighbourhood. 

Of course there's still some anti-black racism, but far less nowadays.

#10 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,619 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 11 2016 - 09:33 AM

not too many in my part of Canada

or maybe there is but i never noticed

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds