California Marijuana Legalization Intiative On The Ballot!

Discussion in 'Front Page Stories' started by ZenKarma, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

California Secretary of State Alex Padilla pleased at least 60% of the state this morning with the news that an initiative to legalize marijuana for recreational use has qualified for the November 8th general election ballot.Here is the official summary of the proposed legislation as it will appear in the ballot:

MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION. INITIATIVE STATUTE. Legalizes marijuana and hemp under state law. Designates state agencies to license and regulate marijuana industry. Imposes state excise tax on retail sales of marijuana equal to 15% of sales price, and state cultivation taxes on marijuana of $9.25 per ounce of flowers and $2.75 per ounce of leaves. Exempts medical marijuana from some taxation. Establishes packaging, labeling, advertising, and marketing standards and restrictions for marijuana products. Allows local regulation and taxation of marijuana. Prohibits marketing and advertising marijuana to minors. Authorizes resentencing and destruction of records for prior marijuana convictions. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Net reduced costs ranging from tens of millions of dollars to potentially exceeding $100 million annually to state and local governments related to enforcing certain marijuana-related offenses, handling the related criminal cases in the court system, and incarcerating and supervising certain marijuana offenders. Net additional state and local tax revenues potentially ranging from the high hundreds of millions of dollars to over $1 billion annually related to the production and sale of marijuana. Most of these funds would be required to be spent for specific purposes such as substance use disorder education, prevention, and treatment. (15-0103.)

Millions of joints were sparked up and the day began in a celebratory haze for most of these happy people.
    They say the fog is extraordinarily thick in San Francisco this morning.

[​IMG]

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

The measure will make possession of more than a few grams of non taxed pot a felony. That means home grown gets you jail.

I voted against this. It can be done better. Let's wait and get a good law.

Things that need to be worked out:
    What's driving under the influence? How do you measure that without violating rights? I'm not peeing in a cup for a cop on a roadside.
    What zoning laws will be used? This law allows entire municipalities to diasallow pot sales and cultivation.
    Will smoke free now apply to pot? (Typically it gets ignored at say, concerts. A cigarette is booted, a pot pipe ignored)
    Will people be allowed to smoke in public, as in walking down the street? Do you legislate as alcohol or tobacco?

The fine print makes this measure a travesty.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

What's going to happen next in California, is that everybody all at the same time is going to try to start their own pot farm. The market is going to become super saturated, and dispensaries will have more supply than demand. And these pot farms are going to go into foreclosure. It happened here in Oregon.

GeorgeJetStoned and machinist like this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well, two years later we have legalization... and commercialization to be exact. Prices for 'retail' are sky high as the system sorts itself out... it's only been four months since the new system went into full force.

The only benefit I can see from all this is cleaner product that has been tested to be pesticide free, and organic products are becoming much more available than before.

Lots of stupid restrictions like not being able to consume anywhere is a problem, but these will get addressed over time I think.

5. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Its California. Of course its high priced and has lots of stupid restrictions.

6. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Thats interesting. Nevada had a bit of a pot shortage when rec legalization began. Not sure whats up now.

7. walkoflife

walkoflife Some Assembly Required Super Moderator

This, together with Schumer's push to remove marijuana from the DEA's banned substance list, prove that politicians are at least having an open mind in 2018.

I imagine prices will come down as grower competition increases, although everything great in life comes at a price.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

A total of nine states and D.C. have legalized recreational marijuana, but only six currently have laws in place allowing retail sales: Alaska, California, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon and Washington state. Massachusetts just became the 7th

[​IMG]

10. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

This is exactly what we should have expected. Once marijuana became a viable, legal product, corporations would immediately start yanking the strings of our politicians. Naturally the lawmakers already have practice reaching into our wallets (like these odd surcharges for each ounce of cultivation).

It sucks to vote down a law that finally makes it legal, but this is obviously a way for the government and their corporate sponsors to get their punches in early. It will take years to have some of the odd rules (that only line pockets) into a courtroom. It's also likely they will hold marijuana hostage for every new and non-related rule they decide to make. Which is particularly popular in California already.

It will be weird to see how this plays out. I'm sure of it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  11. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

While I understand the push for medical marijuana, I can't help but see it as a smokescreen or even a trap. In medicine there's the REAL drugs that can only be handled by a chain of medical and corporate characters who pay fat money to lobbyists and lawyers to lock down the legal angle while opening a pipeline for manipulating the systems of the US government. It's a razor-thin line today.

12. tkm954

tkm954 sub

Just like everything else the Government touches,they can't help but screw it up.But to be fair,bringing marijuana mainstream will take a little time to work itself out.And the Medical Aspect may become a stumbling block.With alcohol,States can set their own percentages on beer and maybe wine(not sure about that one)But you can look out for laws limiting the amount of thc that is permissable to sell as recreational vs medical.This Could set up another black market for medical weed,(not very likely to happen)just a scenario.I live in North Carolina,where every aspect of marijuana is illegal,right down to the seeds.But that ain't gonna stop me from growing the most potent stuff I can.And even in legal states,you know their gonna be law breakers,but cannabis is here to stay,no matter what happens down the road.

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Where I live there are still no recreational marijuana dispensaries. I'm sure there are delivery services though.

tkm954 likes this.