No replies to this topic

#1 skip

skip

If you don't know me by now...

• Administrators
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted October 27 2016 - 08:08 AM

The US Senate Intelligence Committee released it's report on CIA Torture related to the War on Terror.

It had nothing good to say about the actions and policies of the CIA.

The report states that "no actionable intelligence" that wasn't already available from other sources was obtained from all the torture inflicted by the CIA in detention centers around the world. In fact the torture often yielded misinformation. People were held and tortured in deplorable dungeons, some without any valid reason.

In addition, the report indicates that essential information about the nature and extent of the Enhanced Interrogation Techniques (EITs) was withheld from Secretary of State Colin Powell and President G.W. Bush. Vice President Dick Cheney was not mentioned in this regard.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, chairwoman of the Intelligence Committee, who was also not fully briefed on the EITs, gave the summary on live TV. She seemed furious that the heads of the CIA had outright lied to her committee. She described the CIA's actions as "a stain on our values and history."

In response to release of the report, Senator John McCain gave an impassioned speech SUPPORTING the release of the report and condemning the use of torture by the CIA. McCain, himself once a prisoner and a victim of torture, was eloquent, pointing out how the CIA had subverted America's most cherished values, specifically "inalienable" human rights.

McCain's speech is likely to make it more difficult for defenders of torture, like Dick Cheney to sway other conservatives, especially when framed in such patriotic terms, by the "patriot" John McCain.

Seeming to accept responsibility, before the release of the report, Dick Cheney said:

"The program was authorized....If I had to do it over again, I would do it."

Posted Image

The report's release was somewhat rushed, and came about despite delaying tactics by Republicans and the White House.
The upcoming Republican controlled Senate would not have released this report.

If anything, the report is a good thing as it now sets a public standard of accountability for the CIA and US government regarding the use of torture and rights of detainees.

Click here to view the article

Check out my Travel Journal!

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop